`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why dont we have great soccer cards from the best leagues?

Why dont we have great soccer cards from the best leagues?
I mean, wouldnt it be sick if you pull an autograped Messi card?

Why is it that we dont have such thing?

I mean, soccer is the most popular sport and Im sure it would be an enormous business.

So why we have MLS cards and sometimes when the World Cup is being played we have some cards but not anually and from the different leagues like La Liga, Calcio, Premier League, etc?

RE: Why dont we have great soccer cards from the best leagues?
I am a huge soccer fan...but hate to say it...the only place you will find a Messi autos is in Europe Panini products...they have sick cards and the autos are pretty expensive...i would love to own one but like I said to freaking expensive...

As to soccer being the most popular sport...true indeed...its popular all over the world except the U.S....LOL!!! I think the market here for such cards would be limited...that is why Panini and Futera sell alot in Europe...

(09-06-2011, 02:06 AM)arod0770710 Wrote: I am a huge soccer fan...but hate to say it...the only place you will find a Messi autos is in Europe Panini products...they have sick cards and the autos are pretty expensive...i would love to own one but like I said to freaking expensive...

As to soccer being the most popular sport...true indeed...its popular all over the world except the U.S....LOL!!! I think the market here for such cards would be limited...that is why Panini and Futera sell alot in Europe...
+1. Given time, the MLS will eventually gain enough popularity to garner annual sets, but until then, soccer cards will continue to be limited, ESPECIALLY in North America.
[Image: opiebanner.png]

Thanks to Tha Penguin for the banner!
Always looking for Senators and Canucks cards.

Opie's Senators Collection: 4036/14396 28.3%, according to Beckett's database

(09-05-2011, 11:22 PM)ManuGinobili Wrote: I mean, wouldnt it be sick if you pull an autograped Messi card?

Why is it that we dont have such thing?

I mean, soccer is the most popular sport and Im sure it would be an enormous business.

So why we have MLS cards and sometimes when the World Cup is being played we have some cards but not anually and from the different leagues like La Liga, Calcio, Premier League, etc?

To me this is a very interesting question which I've pondered as well especially since soccer's my favorite sport by far.

As for current sets, there already are cards released in Europe every year for the Premiership, Spanish Liga, Serie A, etc, but they're mostly TCG's (trading card games) aimed at kids. Nothing like you what you would expect from an NBA/MLB/NFL product. This is probably because there isn't much of a card collecting culture in Europe compared to here in North America, especially for high end cards. Over there soccer stickers are the more traditional collectible and Panini makes HUGE profits off those, low production cost + very good sales = $ and lot's of it.

Back in the early to mid 2000's Panini, Topps, and Upper Deck (UD even wanted to make a Real Madrid product but unfortunately it wasn't to be) did releas higher end collections with autographs and memorabilia cards of English, Spanish, Italian teams but they were mainly for the Japanese and to a lesser extent British markets. Fortunately it seems like these cards are making a comeback as both Panini and Topps have put out recent products with autos, jerseys and such, I just wish they were easier to get here in the States...

(09-06-2011, 02:06 AM)arod0770710 Wrote: I am a huge soccer fan...but hate to say it...the only place you will find a Messi autos is in Europe Panini products...they have sick cards and the autos are pretty expensive...i would love to own one but like I said to freaking expensive...

Actually Messi doesn't have any certified autograph cards anywhere, not here and not in Europe either. Hopefully that will change though.
BTW anyone hear of that newly announced UD high end soccer product? Apparently it's going to be released soon.

It will probably be just MLS and women's soccer but here's hoping for some Worldwide stars like Messi, Xavi, Cristiano, Rooney, "Chicharito", etc.
Check out my "bucket" for trades: https://picasaweb.google.com/10336593618...rSaleTrade

The problem is that the collecting like futbolcards stated is the hobby hasn't developed enough yet. I know for the English Premier League that Shoot Out had produced cards from 2003-2006. Then, Topps has produced their Match Attax Product every year since. They have inserted autographed cards a couple of years of one player, lol. I know Fabregas was one season and another was Lampard I believe. Futera is the only company that has produced high end product, but only shows players in their National Kits.
New Olajuwon Collector

i WOULD LVOE TO GET THESE CARDS!
[Image: marksig1.jpg]
STAN MIKITA CUP FOUNDATIONS
MATT SMABY CUP PRINTING PLATES

BUCKET LINK

I was just in Germany a few weeks ago and picked up a few packs of German soccer cards just for kicks. One was premier league and one was a German club team. I am guessing they just sell them in the local countries.
Royals Super Collector; PC's of Paul Splittorff, George Brett, Mike Sweeney

Actually, Messi does have an autograph card in Futera (high end soccer cards). One recentl sold on ebay for about $4,500.00

Right now, soccer tobacco cards are still very affordable. The vintage is actually harder to find in mint condition (no albums to put them in) - with A&BC and Topps (1975-1981) bringing good prices if you can find them.

Unfortunately, MLS cards are made by Upper Deck and they have no value apart from a few international player autographs - Valderrama, Zenga and Donovan.

Beckham has no autograph in the MLS Upper Deck - and the company lost credibility when they lied about including one in their sets.