`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do expect to pull when you spend $500 on a box

RE: What do expect to pull when you spend $500 on a box
I doubt most people spend that much money on a box of cards hoping to get one card. But, if they did, I imagine it would be an auto of a HOF or future HOF. With a product like Exquisite, I know there are a bunch of cards that go well over the original price of a box - and not just Jordan or Lebron autos. Still, I imagine most people don't get their money back in BV...but that probably holds true for most people who buy the less expensive products as well.

I think that hits from a high end product should cost more than a similar hit in a low or mid level product. The very things that make any hit valuable are multiplied in high end products. Plus, if Exquisite is anything to go by (it's the only high end card I've seen in person), the quality of the card appears to be higher than most other cards.

From What Ive seen, I get almost double my money back in BV in almost every retail box I have bought. With the boxes that are over $60 a box, I might break even, then with the even more expensive high end stuff, sometimes don't even get half the bv in a box. So, I think it is insanity (look up the definition) to buy a $500 box expecting to get one or two cards to make money on. If I were a kid, I would not even try to collect cards because there is no way to keep up a good collection on a kids salary. I have argued this before, but I think boxes are way too overpriced. Everyone is trying to make the next Equisite where everybody goes crazy for it. Unfortunately, with todays product, you will most likely end up with a Sam Cassell auto......
[Image: f0oyns.jpg]

(09-07-2011, 11:24 AM)quavis Wrote: I have argued this before, but I think boxes are way too overpriced.
I go back and forth on this one, primarily because in recent years - prior to Panini's NBA deal - there were a lot of boxes out that were comparable in price to the boxes that were around 10-15 years ago. There are a lot of 18, 24, 36 pack boxes in from the past few years that you can get for $40-$80, just like you could in the 90's.

On the other hand, with Panini taking over, I'm worried that most products will cater to the midlevel and higher end product collectors, leaving people who really like busting wax with few options. As it is, I was just searching for a 2010-11 box to break, and found most of Panini's products that were available are around $90+, usually for a dozen packs or less.

I generally don't mind there being really expensive products so as long as there are enough cheap options; I don't think there's anything wrong with National Treasures or Elite Black - there's a market for these cards, and I can't think of any reason for Panini not to cater to them. But I wish there were more options for collectors who prefer to spend $40-$80 a box for a couple hundred cards.