`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pricing

Pricing
Easy question hopefully. How does beckett get pricing for cards? Supply and demand or player performance, and popularity?

RE: Pricing
(09-05-2011, 07:04 AM)philfanuno1 Wrote: Easy question hopefully. How does beckett get pricing for cards? Supply and demand or player performance, and popularity?
Short answer, Yes...........

They all play a role. Player performance drives popularity. Popularity drives demand. When demand goes up people hold onto/horde the cards thereby reducing supply of available cards to find or demand goes up and card companies purposely reduce print runs to drive demand and price back up. Numbered cards, short prints etc. Look at the Harper/Strasburg effect.

(09-05-2011, 07:15 AM)tmoore25 Wrote: Short answer, Yes...........

They all play a role. Player performance drives popularity. Popularity drives demand. When demand goes up people hold onto/horde the cards thereby reducing supply of available cards to find or demand goes up and card companies purposely reduce print runs to drive demand and price back up. Numbered cards, short prints etc. Look at the Harper/Strasburg effect.
so 80's and 90's cards all garbage?

(09-05-2011, 07:18 AM)philfanuno1 Wrote: so 80's and 90's cards all garbage?

Depends on the collector. Some HOF RC's are still sought after as well as those that are still stars today. At the time they were made demand was probably high for the popular/performing players. Which made people want to hold on to or acquire those cards thereby driving price up. Since then, popularity and performance wore off for most players which made for more available cards in the market. Not to mention the overproduction of cards from that era to begin with.

Honestly, I kind of think they establish a value for new cards, then watch sales to determine if that value needs to increase or decrease. I have seen many cards that are new sell for $15 - $20 and Beckett puts an initial value of like $60. THen after a few months they decrease the value. But thats my take on it.
[Image: Banner.jpg]

(09-05-2011, 10:44 AM)butchrecon72 Wrote: Honestly, I kind of think they establish a value for new cards, then watch sales to determine if that value needs to increase or decrease. I have seen many cards that are new sell for $15 - $20 and Beckett puts an initial value of like $60. THen after a few months they decrease the value. But thats my take on it.
Back in the 90's Beckett claims that they get the prices from sales from dealers across the country. Then someone leaked that they get their prices from dealers that only pay to advertise on their magazines. True or not, I don't really care. How they price cards and how much I pay will never be close anyway....

(09-06-2011, 01:23 AM)calripkenjrcollector Wrote: Back in the 90's Beckett claims that they get the prices from sales from dealers across the country. Then someone leaked that they get their prices from dealers that only pay to advertise on their magazines. True or not, I don't really care. How they price cards and how much I pay will never be close anyway....
This is very true. how much they list a card for, and what i pay on eBay or the beckett market place are way different.
[Image: Banner.jpg]