`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Funny Joe Medwick Story

Funny Joe Medwick Story
Doing a little reading on Joe "Ducky" Medwick, the last Tripple Crown winner in the NL, and I came upon this little blurb about him meeting the Pope:

During a USO tour by a number of players in 1944, Medwick was among several individuals given an audience by Pope Pius XII. Upon being asked by the Pope what his vocation was, Medwick replied, "Your Holiness, I'm Joe Medwick. I, too, used to be a Cardinal."

That's awsome!

RE: Funny Joe Medwick Story
Lmao that is great!

They say his career declined after a beaning in 1940.

(09-04-2011, 09:55 AM)JASCards Wrote: Doing a little reading on Joe "Ducky" Medwick, the last Tripple Crown winner in the NL, and I came upon this little blurb about him meeting the Pope:

During a USO tour by a number of players in 1944, Medwick was among several individuals given an audience by Pope Pius XII. Upon being asked by the Pope what his vocation was, Medwick replied, "Your Holiness, I'm Joe Medwick. I, too, used to be a Cardinal."

That's awsome!
That is a good one. Thanks for sharing.
[Image: stl.jpg]
I build sets, collect Lou Brock & Jeremy Maclin. Both of my sons went to Kirkwood HS with Jeremy. I will also look at Kurt Warner, Big Ben and Old Big Red Auto's.

The beaning in 1940 nearly killed him.....

It happened only 7 days after his trade to the Dodgers from St.Louis....

The pitcher who hit him was starting for........... The St.Louis Cardinals.