`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sometimes you just have to have a card

Sometimes you just have to have a card
So I'm on eBay bidding on some stuff for a collection I'm working on...I find an item I'd really like...its a 2002 Fleer Classic Cuts Larry Doby GU bat card...Its in an auction format thats still has about 2+ days to it...BV is $10 on the card and I figure worst case is about $8 + shipping...Boy was I wrong!!! After 8 bids the winning bid so far is $20.50 and there are still 2 days before it ends...my 1st max bid was $10 and my 2nd was $20 and I've given up for now...Some people just gotta have their card!!

RE: Sometimes you just have to have a card
With a strong surge in the Negro Leagues it doesnt suprise me. and could this be another reason for the new found guy to collect

World Series champion (1948)
Cleveland Indians #14 retired

Member of the National
Baseball Hall of Fame
Induction 1998
Election Method Veteran's Committee
Lawrence Eugene "Larry" Doby (December 13, 1923 – June 18, 2003) was an American professional baseball player in the Negro leagues and Major League Baseball.[1]

A native of Camden, South Carolina, he was the second black player to play in the modern major leagues and the first to do so in the American League. A center fielder, Doby appeared in seven All-Star games and finished second in the 1954 American League MVP voting. Appointed manager of the Chicago White Sox in 1978, Doby was the second African-American to lead a Major League club. He was selected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1998 by the Hall's Veterans Committee. He is one of five Hall-of-Famers to have grown up in Paterson, New Jersey, though he was born elsewhere.

I think most of his cards are undervalued in Beckett
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

Thats the reason I'm wanting the card as I'm doing a HOF theme...its got a print run of 250 so not rare by any means. Its just funny because I picked up an 04 Leaf Limited Satchel Paige jersey card for $22 with a BV of $60 and have picked some other HOF gu cards for $.99

why bid now?

never ever ever bid until there is 10 seconds left

I felt that way about my 2 Bill Russell 2000 UD Legends true 1/1's. Both cards from the set I have the gold 1/1's. I paid a pretty penny because I bought them the year they came out on ebay (back when 1/1 cards were booming). I got one graded already when I bought it a BGS 8.5, the other I sent in and got a BGS 9.5.

hehe i use to have that entire set including the autographs (missing Fred Lynn bat / Thurman Munson pants). Was a nice set to have. Here are the scans: 2002 Fleer Classic Cuts. I've since sold all of them.
[Image: fredwilliamson.jpg]

Or it could be a case of shill bidding...