`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Someone help me understand this...

RE: Someone help me understand this...
People who buy hot packs are the same people who put all their retirement $ into the Lottery.
They are bad at math or just think they are in the "know" and getting ahead, when they are really falling behind and supporting cheaters and frauds.

Good Grief...I guess it takes all kinds!! If there was no market for this sort of thing, there would be no sellers..

(08-29-2011, 08:28 PM)ja1091 Wrote: I would love to know about hot packs. I see them go anywhere from $5 to $20+ and now I just saw one go for $45. This was a 2010 Bowman Chrome hot pack that was guaranteed to have an orange refractor or an autographed orange refractor in it. I'm guessing people either use a special scale to weigh the packs or use some sort of light to see through them. Anyways, why do people buy these for that price when you can buy a whole 2010 Bowman Chrome hobby box for $40 and you're most likely going to get a couple refractors(maybe not orange) but still.... And the person selling a hot pack, do they the exact card that is the "hot one"? I'm just wondering about all this and if anyone has some information on them I would like you to share it. I don't want to know methods for figuring out a hot pack as that takes the fun out of the hobbybut I would just like to know if anybody has ever bought a hot pack and get anything good in it.
the way these card companies package is beyond sad. i buy wax from only 3 dealers near me in nj knowing they are 100% unsearched. they dont allow it. that being said i do know how to search packs and once in a blue moon might check a few packs at wallyworld just for kicks and yes almost all packs you can tell whats in them without a scale. even some boxed or tin packs are easily plucked. dont say it cant be done because it absolutely can be. make sure your dealer is worthy of not searching or llowing it to happen it makes wax more fun

Sad thing about buying single packs..
Even the places that are not pack searched or weighed...they can be a little deceiving as well..unintentionally

Lets take a product that was 3 hits per box. The owner opens a box, as usual, to get the singles for the shop. He opens 6 packs, gets 2 hits...the best hit is in his hand (say an auto)..the rest of the packs get set aside, they are not searched or "felt up" or weighed...he opens his 2nd box, again, as usual, and get 2 more hits in 10 packs, the best hit is in his hand...
The rest or packs go into the opened box and put on display...

I remember a shop in San Diego..he would open a new box, shuffle the packs (Topps used to be awful in placing the hits in the boxes the same way every time) and place on the shelf. He did not open any packs from this box...we would buy the single packs, open and see what we got. If the expected hits were found, we stopped opening packs and the box remained on the shelf. The next week a guy would come in, buy some of the packs and not really be able to get the odds of the hits. The owner never intentionally defrauded anyone and some people buy the cards for the singles, but it is a business..

The bottom line..buy sealed boxes..never singles unless you know the people you are dealing with....
Food for thought...stirring the pot...