`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CAN A PATCH CARD BE PROFESSIONALLY AUTHENTICATED?

CAN A PATCH CARD BE PROFESSIONALLY AUTHENTICATED?
The title says it all.

RE: CAN A PATCH CARD BE PROFESSIONALLY AUTHENTICATED?
Yep just submit it to BGS fir authentication instead of grading.
[Image: 4E727BD9-orig.jpg]

Tyson Jackson
Total Cards - 469/638 - 74 %
Autos - 164/249 - 66 %
Mems - 221/280 - 79 %
RC - 38/38 - 100 %
1/1s - 21
Total Tyson Jackson Cards Including Dupes 641

Listen to Lump!
2012 Beckett "Super Collector"

I thought the Authentication was for the card and not anything on the card, including autographs and/or patches. I thought BGS distanced themselves from that stand of authenticating the patches.

I do know any Playoff product 2008 and beyond, has a special stamp on the jersey swatch, that Playoff can see under certain light to authenticate the patch/jersey... Do not know if Panini continued this, but you can always check with them... If its real, they send it back in a special holder with a Playoff sticker over the top.
Trying to finish these sets:
1999 Upper Deck Strike Force Quantum /100
2000 Score Complete Players Green/ Blue
2000 Leaf Piece of the Game Preview 4th Down Isaac Bruce
2008 Premier NFL Equipment /25 John Elway

Let me know if you have any available.

(08-28-2011, 07:37 AM)Marinocollector Wrote: I thought the Authentication was for the card and not anything on the card, including autographs and/or patches. I thought BGS distanced themselves from that stand of authenticating the patches.

I do know any Playoff product 2008 and beyond, has a special stamp on the jersey swatch, that Playoff can see under certain light to authenticate the patch/jersey... Do not know if Panini continued this, but you can always check with them... If its real, they send it back in a special holder with a Playoff sticker over the top.
When they authenticate a patch, jersey, Mem, or auto card, they are authenticating the entire card. They will send cards back as "patch not authentic"

(08-28-2011, 07:37 AM)Marinocollector Wrote: I thought the Authentication was for the card and not anything on the card, including autographs and/or patches. I thought BGS distanced themselves from that stand of authenticating the patches.

They do authentications. I'm sending my Tyson Jackson national treasure NFL shield 1/1 in to be reslabbed authentic.
[Image: 4E727BD9-orig.jpg]

Tyson Jackson
Total Cards - 469/638 - 74 %
Autos - 164/249 - 66 %
Mems - 221/280 - 79 %
RC - 38/38 - 100 %
1/1s - 21
Total Tyson Jackson Cards Including Dupes 641

They do not authenticate the patches as they have no evidence of what the card looked like out of the box. Before losing an entire photobucket years back I had before and after (may still have a few) of scumbag patch switchers finished products, some of which graded. When I have a chance I'll try to dig up more info but I believe Bgs themselves once put something out detailing their stand on patches. As Marinocollector stated, authentication is for the card only. If it's a painfully obvious fake every now and then they will kick it back however.

(08-28-2011, 08:45 AM)krayzie83 Wrote: They do not authenticate the patches as they have no evidence of what the card looked like out of the box. Before losing an entire photobucket years back I had before and after (may still have a few) of scumbag patch switchers finished products, some of which graded. When I have a chance I'll try to dig up more info but I believe Bgs themselves once put something out detailing their stand on patches. As Marinocollector stated, authentication is for the card only. If it's a painfully obvious fake every now and then they will kick it back however.
BGS does authenticate patches. They do it by the condition of the card. They can tell, under microscope, if the card has been tampered with. I have had more then one card come back as "patch not authentic". On the last group submission we had, as I was handing the cards over to BGS, the rep stated "I hope all these patches come back as authentic". There were a few he questioned. After much scrutiny, they were all authenticated. When you send a patch card in to be authenticated only, what do you think, they are only authenticating the card? That doesn't even make sense.

(08-28-2011, 08:56 AM)giantfan270 Wrote: BGS does authenticate patches. They do it by the condition of the card. They can tell, under microscope, if the card has been tampered with. I have had more then one card come back as "patch not authentic". On the last group submission we had, as I was handing the cards over to BGS, the rep stated "I hope all these patches come back as authentic". There were a few he questioned. After much scrutiny, they were all authenticated. When you send a patch card in to be authenticated only, what do you think, they are only authenticating the card? That doesn't even make sense.
I think you need to contact your rep. They do not have a database to match up patches. As I stated I had a bucket full of fake patches (Exquisite rcs) a few years back and I will do some digging but I believe they themselves have come out explaining that they do not authenticate the patches unless it's a blatant fake.

(08-28-2011, 08:56 AM)giantfan270 Wrote: BGS does authenticate patches. They do it by the condition of the card. They can tell, under microscope, if the card has been tampered with. I have had more then one card come back as "patch not authentic". On the last group submission we had, as I was handing the cards over to BGS, the rep stated "I hope all these patches come back as authentic". There were a few he questioned. After much scrutiny, they were all authenticated. When you send a patch card in to be authenticated only, what do you think, they are only authenticating the card? That doesn't even make sense.
So, what you are saying is.... if I do a good enough fake Beckett will say its good?

It also makes perfect sense as far as the authentication goes.... the oriignal idea for authentication is people with rare vintage who want cards slabbed without a number associated with them.... A lot of people do not care for the subjectivity of graders... but they want to make sure their card has not been altered by a card doctor (someone who performs cosmetic surgery on vintage cards... like the guy who colored Woody is Toy Story 2)... Of course, Beckett had to take a position on patch cards since theydo not want to miss out on money from new cards as well... The last public position I read from Beckett was that autographs and patches cannot be authenticated by the Authentication service. JSA is the service for autograph authentication and costs extra. Patches are not currently being authenticated by Beckett.
If this has changed, I would love to know. I have not seen an official press release, nor have I found a statement on their site mentioning that.
Trying to finish these sets:
1999 Upper Deck Strike Force Quantum /100
2000 Score Complete Players Green/ Blue
2000 Leaf Piece of the Game Preview 4th Down Isaac Bruce
2008 Premier NFL Equipment /25 John Elway

Let me know if you have any available.