`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why you collect, who you collect?

RE: Why you collect, who you collect?
I collect cards because my father left me 1/2 million of them when he died. Took four trips to Ontario to drive them all back to Nova Scotia. If I had been in a highway accident, the most likely cause of death would have been cardboard cuts.

For some reason, I can't collect one player or one team in hockey. So I collect sets. If it was football I would collect Wes Welker or baseball Ken Griffey Jr. Perhaps this year I might consider collecting some extra non-set Subban cards just because he is one of the most exciting Habs to come along in some time.

Spud
Photobucket: http://s965.photobucket.com/albums/ae140/mrspudhead98/
I enjoy Beckett but I don't trade cards anymore.
Favorite quotes "... it will be reported to Canada Rev."
(A966567760846SVermont8911CCC346.1).

I'm born and raised in Montreal so I come by my addiction/affection for the Habs very honestly. Been collecting since I could ride my bike to the corner store and buy packs of OPC for 25 CENTS (man those were the days).

Koivu - In 1996. the Habs played the Rangers in the 1st round. With the Habs down 5-1 in Game 6 (and basically eliminated), there was one guy on the ice that never gave up. He gained my respect that day. Add him being the first Euro habs captain, beating Cancer etc and he was my favorite player for years. To boot, my first ever game with my wife at the Molson Centre was Koivu's return with the Ducks last year. He was given a standing ovation seconded only be Maurice's when they shut down the Forum (I was lucky enough to be at that game too)

Roy- He won the Habs their only 2 Stanley Cups that I was old enough to remember in '86 and '93

Price - Being a Hamilton Bulldog season tocket holder for the last 8 years, he single-handedly won us the Calder Cup in 07-08. Not to mention his WJC Gold medal performance that year. MAN was I happy when they chose him over Halak . . .

Subban - Fell in love with his over-exubarant style of play when I attended every Canada Game at the 2008 World Juniors in Ottawa. Was lucky enough to meet him twice the following year when he played with the Bulldogs and he is an incredibly nice guy. He's the guy everyone loves to hate (unless he's on your side).

Go Habs Go!!! Always collecting Montreal Canadiens cards. Especially Price, Roy, Subban and Saku Koivu.

(08-17-2011, 06:47 AM)brannat2 Wrote: Actually spent more of the day in Kelowna....just drove through Vernon...lol.....never been to "Salmon Arm" but sounds like a cool place for sure!!

The flight I took from Kelowna to Vancouver was one of those small planes so it stayed fairly low all the way over the mountains....amazing flight!!
My point with my previous post is that SA and Vernon have a huge sports rivalry (all levels, all sports - hockey in particular)
Collecting Anton Lander and Mark Arcobello

I was born in Massachusetts and have been following hockey since the 1995-1996 season. I played defense growing up and I wanted to be like the best defense on the Bruins at the time Ray Bourque. I don't know what it is or how I started, but that is the one player I have always wanted to collect whether it's cards pictures, posters you name it. I stopped collecting for a few years and just started collecting again about a year or so ago and the first card I received in a trade was a Ray Bourque jersey card.

I collect Boston Bruins players because they are my favorite team.

I always liked watching Ryan Miller play and being in the same division as the Bruins I got to see him 6-8 times a year depending on how the NHL wanted to make the schedule. I started collecting him after the Olympics. He was phenomenal for U.S.A and I've been collecting him ever since. My first big card of him is the 2009-2010 SP Game Used Marks of a Nation U. I have the A and I need is the S.

I just recently started collecting Ryan Getzlaf because in my PC I have a defense man and a goalie. I thought it was time I found a forward to collect. I chose Getzlaf because he wears number 15 and that is the number I wore when I played.
Collect Ray Bourque, Ryan Miller, Patrice Bergeron, Dougie Hamilton

(08-19-2011, 12:29 PM)p8030103 Wrote: My point with my previous post is that SA and Vernon have a huge sports rivalry (all levels, all sports - hockey in particular)
Haha yes the Vernon - SA hockey rivalry has been known to reach rediculous proportions. Growing up in SA I hated Vernon my entire life.

Collecting Kirk McLean - Todd Bertuzzi - Scott Stevens
[Image: bbbert.png]

Theo Peckham: He is the type of player that the Oilers need to get on their back end, a tough gritty shut down defensive dman who isn't afraid to hit, block shots, or fight. The Oilers have lacked this type player ever since they traded Jason Smith and Matt Greene, and my hope is that he will develop into such a player.

Now I am thinking about starting a smaller PC or two of a couple players but I have not decided which one, it will be one of these players:

Adam Oates (Oilers): Even though he didn't produce alot of points in his short stint with the Oilers, his mentorship to our young centres was invaluable.

Mike Peca (Oilers): Like Oates he didn't produce too much as an Oiler, but of all the players that bolted after the 06 cup run (Pronger, Samsonov, Spacek, Tarnstrom, ect) I have the most respect for him.

Jeff Petry: Oilers prospect who impressed me during his call up last season. Still young still lots to of room to improve, but could be a solid player. Damn you Panini for ruining his rookie year with your late released products!

Teemu Hartikainen: Another Oilers Prospect who impressed me when he was called up due to injuries. Physical energy type player, crashes the net, and isn't afraid to get into the dirty areas. All around entertaining player to watch.
[Image: Beckett-Banner-temp.jpg]
Theo Peckham PC: 15/60 25% Complete *0 Incoming (1/1's - 01/45)
Adam Oates (Oilers): 04/21 19% Complete *0 Incoming
NHL 2010-11 UD Series: 454/500 90.8% Complete *0 incoming

(08-19-2011, 09:38 PM)mattrgoddard Wrote: Theo Peckham: He is the type of player that the Oilers need to get on their back end, a tough gritty shut down defensive dman who isn't afraid to hit, block shots, or fight. The Oilers have lacked this type player ever since they traded Jason Smith and Matt Greene, and my hope is that he will develop into such a player.

Now I am thinking about starting a smaller PC or two of a couple players but I have not decided which one, it will be one of these players:

Adam Oates (Oilers): Even though he didn't produce alot of points in his short stint with the Oilers, his mentorship to our young centres was invaluable.

Mike Peca (Oilers): Like Oates he didn't produce too much as an Oiler, but of all the players that bolted after the 06 cup run (Pronger, Samsonov, Spacek, Tarnstrom, ect) I have the most respect for him.

Jeff Petry: Oilers prospect who impressed me during his call up last season. Still young still lots to of room to improve, but could be a solid player. Damn you Panini for ruining his rookie year with your late released products!

Teemu Hartikainen: Another Oilers Prospect who impressed me when he was called up due to injuries. Physical energy type player, crashes the net, and isn't afraid to get into the dirty areas. All around entertaining player to watch.
Go with Adam Oates. One of the most underated players of all time. Not sure how he can get lost in HOF voting, but one day
(08-18-2011, 08:29 PM)heaterhabs Wrote: I'm born and raised in Montreal so I come by my addiction/affection for the Habs very honestly. Been collecting since I could ride my bike to the corner store and buy packs of OPC for 25 CENTS (man those were the days).

Koivu - In 1996. the Habs played the Rangers in the 1st round. With the Habs down 5-1 in Game 6 (and basically eliminated), there was one guy on the ice that never gave up. He gained my respect that day. Add him being the first Euro habs captain, beating Cancer etc and he was my favorite player for years. To boot, my first ever game with my wife at the Molson Centre was Koivu's return with the Ducks last year. He was given a standing ovation seconded only be Maurice's when they shut down the Forum (I was lucky enough to be at that game too)

Roy- He won the Habs their only 2 Stanley Cups that I was old enough to remember in '86 and '93

Price - Being a Hamilton Bulldog season tocket holder for the last 8 years, he single-handedly won us the Calder Cup in 07-08. Not to mention his WJC Gold medal performance that year. MAN was I happy when they chose him over Halak . . .

Subban - Fell in love with his over-exubarant style of play when I attended every Canada Game at the 2008 World Juniors in Ottawa. Was lucky enough to meet him twice the following year when he played with the Bulldogs and he is an incredibly nice guy. He's the guy everyone loves to hate (unless he's on your side).
I was at game 4 of the Calder Cup when Price was on the Bulldogs (too bad they won in 5 lol) On the way in to Copps, I walked right by Ray Bourque. His son was playing on the other team. Also passed Matt Hayes on the street
Pretty much trying to work on my YG PC.

(08-19-2011, 03:53 PM)bigbadbert44 Wrote: Haha yes the Vernon - SA hockey rivalry has been known to reach rediculous proportions. Growing up in SA I hated Vernon my entire life.
Kill Vernon, haha!!!!!
Collecting Anton Lander and Mark Arcobello

(08-19-2011, 09:38 PM)mattrgoddard Wrote: Theo Peckham: He is the type of player that the Oilers need to get on their back end, a tough gritty shut down defensive dman who isn't afraid to hit, block shots, or fight. The Oilers have lacked this type player ever since they traded Jason Smith and Matt Greene, and my hope is that he will develop into such a player.

I second going for Adam Oates. Look at his numbers, freaking insane, I have no idea how he doesn't get more accolades. Who was feeding Brett Hull sick sauce? Adam Oates. Their numbers together were downright scary.

Collecting Kirk McLean - Todd Bertuzzi - Scott Stevens
[Image: bbbert.png]

(08-19-2011, 10:22 PM)ntgsportscards Wrote: Go with Adam Oates. One of the most underated players of all time. Not sure how he can get lost in HOF voting, but one day
(08-20-2011, 12:01 AM)bigbadbert44 Wrote: I second going for Adam Oates. Look at his numbers, freaking insane, I have no idea how he doesn't get more accolades. Who was feeding Brett Hull sick sauce? Adam Oates. Their numbers together were downright scary.
I was leaning towards Oates for one of them as well, it is not a big collection (20ish cards or so) so it shouldn't be too hard to complete, then I'll probably move onto Peca. But I also want to get one of the two prospects as well.
[Image: Beckett-Banner-temp.jpg]
Theo Peckham PC: 15/60 25% Complete *0 Incoming (1/1's - 01/45)
Adam Oates (Oilers): 04/21 19% Complete *0 Incoming
NHL 2010-11 UD Series: 454/500 90.8% Complete *0 incoming