`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why you collect, who you collect?

RE: Why you collect, who you collect?
I collect Patrick Roy cards for obvious reasons. He is one of the greatest that has ever played the game. I started collecting his cards in 2002 or 2003, but kind of got away from collecting until last month. Now I'm back at it and buying more than ever.

I also began collecting Nordiques/Avalanche team sets, but that is a small collection compared to my Roy one.

Since the chances of me ever completing my Roy collection are pretty low I've been thinking about who else I want to collect and after reading this forum a few names popped into my head. I think I might start up some new collections:

Robert Esche: He's from the next town over and was a goalie coach at a hockey camp I attended in between my 1st and 2nd year of playing goalie so it makes since to collect his cards. I know I already have 5-10.

Brandon Yip: Something about watching him play just excites me. I only own one 100% NHL Authentic jersey and I got for Christmas this year - it's a Yip blueberry (Colorado 3rd). It only seems right to go after some of his cards!

Nick Palmieri: Young gun on the Devils who spent the second half of the season with the big club. When he was an 8th grader and on my varsity High School team I was a senior. We got to play together, and although we aren't best friends we live in a tight knit community and his friends know my friends and we hang out together once in a while during the offseason. I'd be a fool to not collect his cards!

I never even thought of collecting another players cards until reading this thread so thanks guys! You've inspired me to spend more money on hockey cards! lol
[Image: Signature.jpg]

PC's
Patrick Roy PC 966/7,265 = 13.30% Complete
Brandon Yip PC 101/183 = 55.19% Complete
Nick Palmieri 93/150 = 62.00% Complete

Unique Avs Cards = 1303
Unique Nordiques Cards = 1054

(08-16-2011, 11:09 AM)powelldu Wrote: Born in Edmonton, & been an Oiler fan since the WHA Oilers
Did you get to see any WHA games? My dad took me to my first game when I was 6 or 7 when the Oilers played the Birmingham Bulls and defeated them 5-1. Smile

I collect any card of any player born in Nova Scotia that has ever played in even 1 NHL game....my whale would be a Flash Hollett cut auto if anyone ever happens to come across one....

My main PC though is Evander Kane....even though he was not born in N.S. both of his parents were....I work with his Uncle and have followed him since the World Junior team...

and....I spent 1 day in Kelowna and drove up to Vernon.....thought it was two of the most beautiful places I have ever seen....just my 2 cents...lol

(08-16-2011, 09:41 PM)brannat2 Wrote: I collect any card of any player born in Nova Scotia that has ever played in even 1 NHL game....my whale would be a Flash Hollett cut auto if anyone ever happens to come across one....

My main PC though is Evander Kane....even though he was not born in N.S. both of his parents were....I work with his Uncle and have followed him since the World Junior team...

and....I spent 1 day in Kelowna and drove up to Vernon.....thought it was two of the most beautiful places I have ever seen....just my 2 cents...lol
Vernon, beautiful????? Salmon Arm is waaaaay nicer (sorry, couldn't resist, haha)
Collecting Anton Lander and Mark Arcobello

Why do I collect? I don't know to be completely honest. When I first started, I was that happy little kid that would just buy packs of cards and be absolutely thrilled if I got a common jersey. Now, as a single player collector, it's just fun to maintain my collection and strive to have the best Mike Green collection in the universe. (I've lost a couple tough ones, but I do believe if I'm not the top MG52 collector, I'm a close 2nd)

Who do I collect/why? Mike Green of the Washington Capitals. A few years back when he was with Hershey and I was venturing into hockey from baseball, I wanted to pick a low budget rookie from the Capitals to focus on. I tried Jakub Klepis, that didn't work out, my 2nd try was Mike Green and it worked out quite well. I've got over 110 different cards to this point, and I've put well over $1000, and countless hours of web searching/buying/trading. All this has ermerged into a collection I'm really damn proud of and love to showcase. Smile

(08-16-2011, 09:46 PM)p8030103 Wrote: Vernon, beautiful????? Salmon Arm is waaaaay nicer (sorry, couldn't resist, haha)
Actually spent more of the day in Kelowna....just drove through Vernon...lol.....never been to "Salmon Arm" but sounds like a cool place for sure!!

The flight I took from Kelowna to Vancouver was one of those small planes so it stayed fairly low all the way over the mountains....amazing flight!!

ive been collecting patrick roy cards for over 20 years just love getting them and making the collection grow havent bought any in a long time just picked up three great cup cards and it felt great to get them

(08-17-2011, 01:27 PM)royistheman Wrote: ive been collecting patrick roy cards for over 20 years just love getting them and making the collection grow havent bought any in a long time just picked up three great cup cards and it felt great to get them
Have any duplicates you want to send my way Wink
[Image: Signature.jpg]

PC's
Patrick Roy PC 966/7,265 = 13.30% Complete
Brandon Yip PC 101/183 = 55.19% Complete
Nick Palmieri 93/150 = 62.00% Complete

Unique Avs Cards = 1303
Unique Nordiques Cards = 1054

Blues - I had always been reluctant to have a Blues pc since I consider myself a hockey fan first and a Blues fan second, but after abandoning a few set building projects I decided the only way I wouldn't get bored with a collection was if it was the Blues. Coincidentally, this coincided with getting my first Blues jersey card that I pulled myself.

Ben Bishop - I had never had a player pc before and thought I'd try it out. My thoughts on selecting a player were that they had to be a Blues player, a younger player so that my collection could start with their NHL career, and someone I thought would be with the team for a while. Then if possible, a goalie.
[Image: Blues%20Banner%202015_zpso4q52tdf.png]
Blues PC: 5600+ cards - Blues RCs: 781/933 - 83.7%

I Love the topic;

Brett Hull - I've collected Brett Hull ever since I was 10 (cough 17 years ago). The first Red Wings game I ever want to (I live 30 minutes outside Detroit), the Red Wings played St. Louis. Brett Hull ended up netting 2 goals and I believe an assist or two. The goals however put him in the 50-50 club again (at the time I didnt know how special/rare it was). At the time I was just a kid who loved hockey and thought that this guy can score 2 goals at a game I was at, he must be pretty good. I have been collecting him every since. I have over 1,200 different Hull cards, 200+ memorabilia cards, 50+ certified autos. I also have 7 autographed jerseys (1 St. Louis, 3 Dallas, 2 Detroit, 1 2002 US Olympic) all professionally framed hanging on my basement wall.

David Moss - I collect David Moss because we went to high school together. It was pretty exciting back in the day when we found out he got drafted by the Calgary Flames. When I saw that he was going to have some rookie cards in the 2007-08 products, I instantly got excited and started collecting. The prize of my collection is I have 18 The Cup Printing Plates numbered 1/1!!

Vladimir Konstantinov - I honestly collect Konstantinov because I love the way he played. At the time, the best hitter in the league and he had offensive skill. I honestly believe he was as good as Lidstrom back in the day. Unfortunately, for a horrbile car accident we will never know awesome he would have been. Highlight of this collection is my 1995-96 BAP Signature and Signature Die-Cut Autos.

Jim Craig - I recently just started collecting Craig after watching the movie Miracle. I've seen the movie about 100 times, but for some reason after this last time, I decided to collect Jim Craig. Highlight of my collection so far is my 2010 Sportskings Quad Used Memorabilia with Muhammad Ali (trunks), Jack Nickulas (shirt), and Tony Gwynn (jersey) numbered out of 18.