`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Liquidating Vintage Collection

RE: Liquidating Vintage Collection
(08-12-2011, 12:45 AM)spazmatastic Wrote: That's why I said to keep the sets together! They are liquidating, not selling off the most valuable stuff and keeping the rest.
No way in the world that a raw set from the mid to late 70s and 80s is worth more than the individual star cards graded. Absolutely no way. Grade the rookies and donate the commons to charity. You will make more money that way than leaving the sets together raw.

And djohn she said most the sets were from mid to late 70s and 80s. $50 is generous on the 80s sets and the late 70s sets are still worth more broken up and sold off.

If you're just looking to move out all of the inventory quickly, then just sell off as sets. No, it likely won't net you as much money but you'll be able to move them quickly and with very little time spent.

If you want to pick out the good players and their cards, you'll get more money in return but will also spend more time on the project. If you're going to grade, I would make sure that they look like they stand a chance of at bare minimum NM-MT. On top of that, I would ask someone who knows cards and has an unbiased eye to look at them and give their opinion on if they should be graded. Too many times people think they have a flawless card and they end up disappointed. If the cards don't look like they will come back as at minimum NM-MT on the HOFers, then ultimately you're just wasting your time as all the costs associated with grading combined with your time just won't net you a whole lot.

My own recommendation would be to pull the star/HOF players out and sell individually on ebay, raw, with good clear front AND back scans while donating the commons to a charity or something. That's if you want to spend any time with this. Otherwise, just sell off the sets to move items quickly if you don't really care about how much you get in return.

You know what? Let me know what 70s and early 80s sets you have.
Is this thing on?

Thanks to all of you for your advice. Right now I'm doing an inventory on the vintage cards and will get a list of the complete sets together next week and post. Condition seems to be the issue with most of the cards so far...they are not pristine by any means, but they free of creases and some have noticeably worn corners while others do look quite nice for their age with sharp edges and corners. They have been stored in the 9 per page plastic holders. The full sets are still in the original boxes. I'm not looking to "get rich quick" by any means with these cards, but I would like to get fair prices.