`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting back to collecting

Getting back to collecting
Hello all. I am getting back into collecting cards and just wanted to know a few things. I havn't collected baseball in a long time. I collected growing up and still have my big hurts, griffey's, ripkens etc. It looks like the hobby has changed a whole lot. Other than my stuff for my pc, what card brands/players are good to collect. Just amazes me that the Strasburg and Harper chrome cards sell for so high.

RE: Getting back to collecting
(08-10-2011, 11:19 AM)jefdav1831 Wrote: Hello all. I am getting back into collecting cards and just wanted to know a few things. I havn't collected baseball in a long time. I collected growing up and still have my big hurts, griffey's, ripkens etc. It looks like the hobby has changed a whole lot. Other than my stuff for my pc, what card brands/players are good to collect. Just amazes me that the Strasburg and Harper chrome cards sell for so high.
I have been off and on since I was seven. One thing that has always rang true in the hobby is you should collect whatever it is you want to. Whether you want to collect tobacco era, vintage, 80's junk wax, 90's inserts, or the newer autos/relics there are plenty places at your disposal to acquire, learn, and discuss them. So basically...there really isn't an answer to your question. Find your place in the this hobby and pursue it.

The good news is that there are many collectors on here that have come from where you are at now, so if you ever need any help or have any questions about the hobby, just ask away on the forums and you should get some responses.

Welcome back to the hobby!
[Image: 971927d6500d72m3.jpg]

Thanks on the advice so far. How is the hobby as far as pricing nowadays? I remember the big kerry wood craze back in the late 90's, and now the cards are not really worth anything. How will the value of today's hot rookie cards compare to back in the 90's?

if youre looking for investment stick with bowman chrome prospects, especially autographs and refractors.

Wood's cards tanked because of injuries and move to bullpen.

If you're looking for investment, see your comment about Kerry Woods cards and stick to mutual funds and 401k. :-)

Otherwise, I think mjbuchanan hit it on the head- collect what you want to look at. Personally, I am on a vintage kick lately and don't really like the Bowman sets because I don't care to get a whole bunch of players that might be in the majors in 3 years. (Even though most will probably never make the majors and most of the ones that do won't turn in to Albert Pujols.)

So basically I agree with mj- everyone is different and collecting for a little while will help you figure out where your niche is. I came back after a long hiatus as well, and I have a much different focus today than when I first came back.