`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1959 Topps Help Please

1959 Topps Help Please
I am trying to organize my Dodgers cards, would someone be able to tell me which versions of the following cards I have please.

Card #244 comes up on Beckett as Ted Gray not Dick Gray. It also has a Version A GB (Is that Gray Back?)
Card #71 comes up with 2 versions base and a Venezuelan
Card #406 only comes up with one version (think I got that one Big Grin )
Card #441 same as #406

So it would be the first 2 I need help with, thanks!

[Image: 1959Dodgers1.jpg]

[Image: 1959Dodgers2.jpg]

RE: 1959 Topps Help Please
'59 Venenzuelan's have "Impreso en Venezuela" on the back.

"GB" stands for grey back. They also came with white backs, hence the variation. So, #244 is a grey back. I think Ted Gray might be a typo as he retired in '55. Dick Gray made his debut in '58.
Interested in EX-MT or better pre-'56 Cardinals, '53 Bowman Color & '74-'78 Topps.
http://s606.photobucket.com/home/jalbregts

Thanks Beatles!! My next question is this, is White the variation and not Gray? So most cards came in gray but not white?

Card numbers 199-286 are the ones with the white/gray back variations with gray backs being less common. Thus, the gray backs could be considered to be the variation.

How much "less common"? I have no idea but I don't think it's anything to write home about.

Thanks Rice, that explains why card 244 is gray, but not 441. Am I missing something here?

(08-07-2011, 03:32 PM)alexs64 Wrote: Thanks Rice, that explains why card 244 is gray, but not 441. Am I missing something here?
I just noticed that. Let me look a little further.
Yeah, I'm not finding anything anywhere that says a color variation with that card in the number range. I did find a couple of white and gray backs of that card on ebay so I'm not sure what to tell you on that end.

Rice, thanks for your help, I really appreciate it! I will just add it. LOL Not much more, you and I can do. LOL