`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grading Help

Grading Help
Hey guys, I was thinking about getting some of my prospect cards graded. I've never done grading before so I had a question. There's a few cards that look really good, in my opinion, that I plan on sending off. I was wondering if I sent them off, and they came back as a 9, would it be worth less or more than a raw card? Thanks...
I collect any Derek Jeter and 2010 Allen and Ginter relic cards.

RE: Grading Help
I've been considering the same, and it looks to me like higher profile cards/players will still sell for enough to make back your money for grading and the price of the card, often more. I'm considering buying a case and having some graded, obviously it would be costly so I'm wondering in everyone's experience what percent of brand new cards in a non-condition sensitive product come back Gem? I would probably be grading 20 cards or so.

SGC has a special this month 5 dollars a cards.. plus the shipping back and forth.

I am lucky enough to work in the same building as them.. just dropped off 6 cards this week..no shipping and I can pick them up
Finder's Fee for these cards if I obtain them(NO EBAY or COMC).

2010 Neftali Feliz Ginter Relic,

(08-05-2011, 02:10 PM)dlcarst Wrote: I've been considering the same, and it looks to me like higher profile cards/players will still sell for enough to make back your money for grading and the price of the card, often more. I'm considering buying a case and having some graded, obviously it would be costly so I'm wondering in everyone's experience what percent of brand new cards in a non-condition sensitive product come back Gem? I would probably be grading 20 cards or so.
Using Bryce Harper as an example, a little less than 3.7% of cards that have been submitted to Becket were graded a 10.

Obviously the older it is, the longer it has been handled, etc. will reduce the odds.

I don't want to send a card off to get graded, and if it comes back less than a 9.5, be worth less. Do people find that this is the case? I notice 9.5 always go really high, I've never really seen a BGS 10. But does a 9 make it worth more or less?

(08-05-2011, 03:24 PM)joe callahan13 Wrote: Using Bryce Harper as an example, a little less than 3.7% of cards that have been submitted to Becket were graded a 10.

What about 9.5? I don't much expect to get a 10, obviously would be great. As far as the original post, I think it depends on your intent. If selling, 9's seem to do fine if the card is hot. Otherwise you might not get the cost of the card+grading back. I would imagine Harper platinums will do allright at 9 for the first few weeks. If its for your PC, just decide if its worth it to you if it comes back a 9.

(08-05-2011, 04:01 PM)dlcarst Wrote: What about 9.5? I don't much expect to get a 10, obviously would be great. As far as the original post, I think it depends on your intent. If selling, 9's seem to do fine if the card is hot. Otherwise you might not get the cost of the card+grading back. I would imagine Harper platinums will do allright at 9 for the first few weeks. If its for your PC, just decide if its worth it to you if it comes back a 9.
Ok, the ones I was thinking about getting graded are for the intent of re-selling. I may just send off the refractor versions that look like they could get a higher grade.

Anyone have an approximate idea what percentage come back 9.5 or better?

I recently sent some off to get graded. I just looked over the card; corners, edges and centering, and sent them in. I only got 1 8.5, the rest were 9's and 9.5's. Just make sure no corners are chipped and the edges are in decent condition. I think centering is pretty easy to tell for the most part. Good luck. Also, if you scan the cards and put them on here, there are a few guys that can tell you if it's worth grading. They are really helpful here. Good luck on your submissions.