Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
how do you feel about Arod and the poker suspension
Star 
how do you feel about Arod and the poker suspension
Tiger, Jordan, Barkley, . Gambling and hookers no problem. Arod problem.
Espn talking heads were saying that if a high profile player gets into debt over a poker game, then there is the risk of them throwing a game. True, but it seems like a stretch. A suspension is unfair. A fine. Yes. , but no suspension. I am a Rays fan. But am just trying to be objective. Thoughts?

RE: how do you feel about Arod and the poker suspension
Thats fair.

I don't like A-Rod. A lot of people don't. But it's poker! I play poker with friends all the time! Maybe a fine or something but a suspension seems a bit rough
[Image: yrBtR.png]
Collecting Reds and A's (especially Joey Votto, Bronson Arroyo, and Josh Reddick)

(08-04-2011, 04:53 PM)FloridaCollector Wrote: Tiger, Jordan, Barkley, . Gambling and hookers no problem. Arod problem.
Espn talking heads were saying that if a high profile player gets into debt over a poker game, then there is the risk of them throwing a game. True, but it seems like a stretch. A suspension is unfair. A fine. Yes. , but no suspension. I am a Rays fan. But am just trying to be objective. Thoughts?
You can not compare A-Rod to those guys because they play a different sport in different leagues with different rules. Look at what happened to Pete Rose, and he did not admit to betting on baseball until a few years ago. Baseball has always frowned on any form of gambling. Just remember the "Black Sox" and Pete Rose. Who is to say it is just poker, that's the media and until MLB investigates we will only know what the media wants to report. I seem to remember Jordan being put under a microscope for his gambling also.

Great points raised. It does seem that baseball is somewhat sacred and a different standard is applied. It seems almost puritanical at times.

One more thing. Since the guy is worth like half a billion $$ , if he lost fifty grand in a poker game. That's like a roll of nickels for us. No risk of him throwing a game on a debt.

Rules are rules. BTW, how stupid is AROD to play in the games with 2 known Red Sox fans Affleck and Damon? The guy is a complete moron. Anyway the Yankees can get out of that deal if he gets suspended for this?

Leave this guy alone already.He gets paid to play baseball,not to be good little boy. This is a grown man were talking about.Let him be already.If you continue to dig through someones closet you are bound to find some bones.The media gets to pick and choose,they can tear anyone down just like they can build anybody up.They did the same thing to Canseco,following him around snapping pictures of his wife pumping gas while he sat in the car.It may have looked bad but who cares!So what his wife pumped his gas on that particular day.Big friggin' deal!How many poker games do you think these rich baseball team owners attend on a weekly basis.

I agree. Morality should not be legislated. It does seem that baseball has a sacred nature as "americas sport". Many of the ethical clauses in players contracts are too personally intrusive.
Look at someone like Darth Roger Godell who has Imperial authority
Over "behaivoir" in football.

What I'm hearing is that there isn't just the gambling, but there were quite a few "illegal" drugs.... and with him admitting to steroid use.... there goes his spot in the HOF. Not a fan of this guy. But Considering Poker, Leave the guy alone. This is AMERICA, alot of the players back in the day went to the games still drunk. Now every little duck fart is played on Sports Center. Its too much about the buck now-a-days.....PS: LET PETE ROSE IN THE HOF!!!!

(08-07-2011, 10:09 PM)Silverleen Wrote: What I'm hearing is that there isn't just the gambling, but there were quite a few "illegal" drugs.... and with him admitting to steroid use.... there goes his spot in the HOF. Not a fan of this guy. But Considering Poker, Leave the guy alone. This is AMERICA, alot of the players back in the day went to the games still drunk. Now every little duck fart is played on Sports Center. Its too much about the buck now-a-days.....PS: LET PETE ROSE IN THE HOF!!!!
Totally agreed!

http://coolstarcards.wordpress.com/