`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
This question has always puzzled me......

RE: This question has always puzzled me......
I personally don't. I still have every Ricky Williams, Aaron Brooks, Mike Buck, Heath Schuler, Jim Everett, Jonathan Sullivan, Jason David, and Russell Erxleben I've ever owned. I also still have every Jamarcus Russell card I've ever gotten also....but that's cuz I'm stuck with them j/k
[Image: 2a1aA.jpg]

Only thing that matters to me is that they are in a giants uniform on the card or maybe their college uni.
[Image: SigXacvol2.png]
New York Giants Fan & Collector.
http://s9.photobucket.com/home/deuce6000/

I usually keep all the players/cards that fit into my pc regardless of whether they stay or not (im a Raiders collector but not a hoarder).. Every now and then though we'll get a Randy Moss or JaBustus Russell that just irritates me to look at and think of so those have to go.. Moss more then Russell lol.. Lil sore about Nnamdi and more so Miller leaving us but I'll probably still pick up their Raiders cards on occasion.

I collect based on college stuff, so it doesn't really apply to me. I can't remember if I have a Clarett auto or not, and have been debating on chasing any Pryor cards because he was kind of the lynch pin to the trouble we are in now.
A bunch of my guys are busts in the pro's, but were great at OSU.
[Image: 1c4478fb-d731-4d9f-ba14-899045a13077_zps5489e52d.jpg]

Once a card goes into my Panthers PC it stays. From Dwayne Jarrett & Rae Carruth to Steve Smith & John Kasay, it does not matter...they stay.

What gets me is the people who decide to collect all of the previous cards of a player after he joins their team. The Panthers just signed Jeremy Shockey, but I have no interest in his cards from his Saints or Giant years.

That's just my 2 cents.
Looking for Carolina Panthers & Sterling Marlin!

Well me personally I feel like I want a player to play for my team for the majority of their career. Like Montana, i'm not gonna just dump him cause he finished out with the Cheifs but if a 49er only plays with us for 3 years but then goes on to play 7 seasons with another team, I dont want him for my 49ers PC. In this era its not realistic to think a certain player is gonna play with just one team their whole career but I want them to play the "majority" with 1 team
[Image: eazyebanner.jpg]
Collecting ALL 2005 Frank Gore -148/406=36%
Collecting ALL 2006 Vernon davis -129/829=15%
Collecting ALL 2007 Patrick Willis -79/818=9%
Collecting ALL 2005-06 Monta Ellis -86/163=53%

Forgive me as I havent read every post but for me Im always on the fence. I truly cant decide who to keep and who to dump. Just too many emotions go into my collecting habits and sometimes I act irrationally.

One minute I hate Ted Ginn and the next I wish he was still a Phin. Then you have some horrible draft picks over the past 5 or 6 years that make me sad when I see their cards in my collection. Then when I see those same players in a good mood I say oh yeah I remember that play he made or how that player was a staple on my madden team. Again Im a very emotional guy when it comes to my team and the Bears as well. If the Phins lose Im in a bad mood until at least Wednesday depending on the type of loss.

Ive dumped all Patrick Turner and Pat White cards as they were nothing but a waste. However when you search for their cards they have some sick patches which makes me want to bite especially when the price is cheap.

When the whole Ricky Williams situation happened I was crushed. I was so mad at Ricky that I wished he would never play again. I told everyone I hated him and Im glad he was gone. I sold every card of him I had for probably 25% of what I spent on them. Then all of sudden Ricky was back. Well sort of...It took him awhile to get in playing shape. Skipping ahead...Time heals all wounds. I became a Ricky fan again and nothing can change it. For whatever reason Im intrigued by him and love watching him play. I will forever be a fan of Ricky and hope he stays a Phin forever.

I guess its just part of the fanatic in all of us.
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

I collect Vikings that are going to be remembered as Vikings. I will dump my Sidney Rice collection for other Vikings for my pc so I don't see how I lose from my collection or how it wasted time or money. I think it's cool that there are true team collector's out there and I think of myself as more of a streamlined version of a team collector. I don't collect many Vikings players for various reasons, but it's mostly because I can't afford them all and need to be really choosey who I collect.
[Image: wavysig.jpg]

Cris Carter Collector 1660/2351
John Randle Collector 349/568
Pro Set Collector

http://s696.photobucket.com/albums/vv327...e%20Cards/

(08-04-2011, 04:26 AM)bakerman8419 Wrote: Forgive me as I havent read every post but for me Im always on the fence. I truly cant decide who to keep and who to dump. Just too many emotions go into my collecting habits and sometimes I act irrationally.

One minute I hate Ted Ginn and the next I wish he was still a Phin. Then you have some horrible draft picks over the past 5 or 6 years that make me sad when I see their cards in my collection. Then when I see those same players in a good mood I say oh yeah I remember that play he made or how that player was a staple on my madden team. Again Im a very emotional guy when it comes to my team and the Bears as well. If the Phins lose Im in a bad mood until at least Wednesday depending on the type of loss.

Ive dumped all Patrick Turner and Pat White cards as they were nothing but a waste. However when you search for their cards they have some sick patches which makes me want to bite especially when the price is cheap.

When the whole Ricky Williams situation happened I was crushed. I was so mad at Ricky that I wished he would never play again. I told everyone I hated him and Im glad he was gone. I sold every card of him I had for probably 25% of what I spent on them. Then all of sudden Ricky was back. Well sort of...It took him awhile to get in playing shape. Skipping ahead...Time heals all wounds. I became a Ricky fan again and nothing can change it. For whatever reason Im intrigued by him and love watching him play. I will forever be a fan of Ricky and hope he stays a Phin forever.

I guess its just part of the fanatic in all of us.
well said ..... kinda sums up a lot of my thoughts about "team collecting" in a nutshell Wink

the Lions have had soooooo many poor draft choices in the 2000's (thank you Matt Millen) so collecting Joey Harrington's is just a plum waste of time Wink
(08-03-2011, 11:59 AM)ripkenfan72 Wrote: I don't think you're not a true team collector. I get what you're saying. After I got back into the hobby in 08 after a long break I was hot and heavy into collecting Steelers. Well I had to learn the hard way. I picked up every card of the new rookies and traded away some good cards to get them and although I love the cards it may not have been a smart move. I traded away some good HOFers for players that were duds. I now do like you do and try to get a few cards of the new guys but I have a few side player collections that I go after hard core. Smile
I know there's a few cards I'd love to get back as well Sad sometimes it can be a harsh "learning curve" but sometimes those "duds" can turn into gems down the road Smile

(08-03-2011, 08:02 AM)ripkenfan72 Wrote: Ok I have seen this happen everywhere by many people. Every year players go to other teams or just retire without having the best career ever. My question is....

Why do team collectors automatically want to dump their cards when players leave?

I am a Steelers fan and have many people offer me loads of cards of a player(s) who left my team. Even Steelers fans do this. I just don't understand it. My Steelers collection has a variety of many types of players: rookies who bust (ie Limas Sweed), players I didn't like (Kordell Stewart, lol) and players who haven't played for a season or two (Willie Parker). I still love these cards due to they were a Steeler and did contribute to the Steelers success. Therefore, I will not just dump their cards. I am not busting on anyone, I would just like opinions on this.
I don't get it either. I put a lot of time and money into collecting those cards. I would never just dump them. I mean, I have more James Hardy's, J.P. Losman's, and Trent Edwards than I know what to do with. But it has never crossed my mind to get rid of them. In fact, I still collect them now because they come cheaper than ever.
(08-03-2011, 10:09 PM)pbobo44 Wrote: Once a card goes into my Panthers PC it stays. From Dwayne Jarrett & Rae Carruth to Steve Smith & John Kasay, it does not matter...they stay.

What gets me is the people who decide to collect all of the previous cards of a player after he joins their team. The Panthers just signed Jeremy Shockey, but I have no interest in his cards from his Saints or Giant years.

That's just my 2 cents.
Exactly! If they are in a Bills uniform or in their college uni and the Bills drafted him, I'm in. I love the fact that the Bills have Fitzpatrick and Merriman, but I have zero interest in their previous cards.
[Image: GoBills.jpg]

Thanks KKG for the sweet banner!

Collecting all Bills. Also trying to complete rookie sets from Topps Mayo 08 and 09 and 1999 SP Authentic Player's Ink Green Signatures. And any and all Scott Chandler's.