`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about posting one's "In Progress Sets."

Question about posting one's "In Progress Sets."
I'm doing a few sets, and I'd love some help completing them. (Keeping an eye out at shops, shows - you guys know the deal.) There are plenty people around who are truly helpful.

However, I'm wondering if this is a good idea or not. When you post a "want" or a "need," it seems some people try to either grab those cards before you have a chance to get them. Sometimes they come right to you asking a king's ransom and other times they end up on ebay with an outrageous BIN price.

So what do you guys think...Keep the sets a secret until completed or take a chance and post your needs, what would you do?

RE: Question about posting one's "In Progress Sets."
I am an optimist (some say "naive"), but I prefer to think the helpful people outnumber the jerks. I say post 'em and let the helpful people do what they do.

Of all the 264/s I have acquired, I only had the "King's Ransom" occur once....some sets may not garner attention, thus stuff away in somebody's box. Post it and hopefully the fine members will come through. I had it happen yesterday...good luck.

I've learned that the hard way. My approach now is to get the higher end cards in a set taken care of before posting. After I get about halfway, then I start posting.

The lower end cards could be marked up, but more often than not, I get a good deal.

If the seller puts a ridiculous price on it, I just let it sit. After a month or so of disinterest, they usually offer a deal.

(08-02-2011, 08:45 AM)melcmd Wrote: I've learned that the hard way. My approach now is to get the higher end cards in a set taken care of before posting. After I get about halfway, then I start posting.

The lower end cards could be marked up, but more often than not, I get a good deal.

If the seller puts a ridiculous price on it, I just let it sit. After a month or so of disinterest, they usually offer a deal.

Exactly what he said.

Every time I've mentioned side sets, the prices have shot way up. Could be coincidence, but I've seen it enough times to think otherwise...

I always work with my closest collecting friends on my side projects, but it doesn't need to be public knowledge until I'm almost done.
I like cards serial numbered 34/xx
[Image: RD1.jpg]
Still working on 2009 Topps Magic Autos

Typically you know who will and who wont "help" you complete a set. Im not a big set collector but when I do look for specifics I see people get greedy. Maybe just compile a list and shoot it to select few you know frequent other boards, shows and their lcs. I would be more than happy to help you look for specifics. The more honest eyes the better.
PC Collections Josh Morgan, Tim Tebow, Brock Marion and Derek Anderson

Been debating the same thing for the past 3 years on a small 6 card set of mine.. Undecided Cant find the remaining two anywhereeee and it's driving me insane lol..

I wouldn't have completed my limited set without the help here. Let the ones that are outrageous go, and reasonable ones will find their way home to you. Let us help you. Hopefully we can.

Thanks for the input everyone. One of my sets has a fairly low print run so I cant really play around too much. Perhaps I will post the other one up for now and wait on the others. Maybe we all should from an alliance :p