`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 (Newb?) Questions: 1 Help and 1 Curious

2 (Newb?) Questions: 1 Help and 1 Curious
I'm brand new to this site but I've been collecting basketball cards for years. Nothing hardcore but I buy a few packs a year. I could use some help/advice with something.

A few years ago I bought a PRO graded Magic Johnson/Larry Bird/Julius Erving rookie off of ebay. Well come to find out PRO graders are not pros and it seems that it's more bad than good that they graded it. Is there any way to break it out without hurting the card? Can I send it in to a more reputable grading service and get it regraded by them? I'd really like to know if the cards been tampered with or not (that's what I read about them doing).

My second question is a simple one: How do you guys have so many awesome cards? I've seen so many autos and game used that it's insane. Are these all pulls or do you guys spend big money on them? Is there someway of telling when they're in packs that I don't know about?

Sorry to write so much but any and all help is appreciated.

RE: 2 (Newb?) Questions: 1 Help and 1 Curious
It depends on what you plan on doing with the Johnson/Bird RC. If you plan on keeping it, then it shouldn't matter what case it's in (it's protected better than being in a top loader). If you plan on getting rid of it, then I guess you can get it reslabbed by Beckett. I can't tell you how to break open a case, just be careful, lol.

As for the "awesome cards", it's a little bit of spending & pulling. I don't pack search so I can't speak on that. Sometimes you run across someone who just want to get rid of cards and you find a jewel. Good luck.
I collect LeBron, Jordan, Kobe and anything that catches my eye.
[Image: SU1BRzAxODMtMS5qcGc-1.jpg]

I would say that the majority of collections are put together from buying/trading for singles. Breaking boxes is such a crap-shoot and very rarely pays off.

I know I dont have a single Chris Paul in my PC that I actually pulled myself, but I dont break more than a few boxes each year so its no surprise to me.

Im pretty sure BGS offers grading services for cards already graded by other companies. If it bothers you that much its a good option. Thats a great card btw.

Thanks for the responses. I plan on keeping it, but after reading what PRO graders do to their cards, it's more about me knowing if it's been tampered with or not. Heck, if they're that shady, if it's even real.

And to answer your question about all the awsome cards it varies between hand pulled and bought.

The best card I had was a pulled card, durant rc auto. But most of my cards are off the bay!
Personal Collections are as follows :
1) Knicks (anyone who has worn the jersey at one time or another and made a significant impact on the team.)
2) Latrell sprewell
3) Amare Stoudemire
4) Carmelo Anthony
5) Steve Nash
6) Chauncey Billups

(07-31-2011, 01:20 PM)antriarc Wrote: The best card I had was a pulled card, durant rc auto. But most of my cards are off the bay!
Most of mine are from ebay too, although I can't afford most of the good autos. I was hoping there was some kind of trick for pulling these cards that I didn't know about.

If you want any respect from us, don't search packs! My advise, that I wish I had taken years ago. SAVE your money til you have enough for one of those "awesome" cards. Quality is waaaaay better than quantity. I had to build up to get some nice cards and now I have a few nice and a ton of junk. Don't waste time on the junk unless you just like it. If you're trying to make money, only buy cards that are in demand and buy low sell high. 50% of what you think you can sell it for is a good way to try and double your money like most retailers would do. Good luck and have fun with your new addiction!
[Image: f0oyns.jpg]

I'll agree in the sentiment of not pack searching, but I have to disagree with the quality is better than quantity. Smile That's all a matter of opinion. A lot of people would say I have 3000+ junk cards (low inserts, base, etc. ) and my 300+ GU and AU are my only good cards. However, because I love the team I collect as much as I do, even the $0.05 cards are priceless to me.

I would definitely have BGS regrade the card. I believe they'll properly break it out of the case for you, but there may be a fee for that.

My recommendation on getting the "awesome" cards that you're referring to is to do a few things. One, start putting your cards in here so that you can trade with other members. There are awesome traders here and they have really helped my PC. Secondly, determine what it is you want to collect. Narrow it down to a team, or maybe two or three teams, or a player or two, or a type of card (AU/GU), etc. Determine what it is that you want and stick with it. Thirdly, keep an eye out for good deals that feel good to you. Don't think about if someone will rag you for buying a card at 100%BV. If you wanted it, and you are ok spending that much on it, then that's all that matters.

Now, I have a feeling, from your avatar, that you collect at least some MJ. Well, good luck on here trying to pry some of the Jordans from some of the people on here, two inparticular: pingbling23 and Nickm1123. They are both very hard core Jordan collectors and have spectacular collections. There are others on here that also collect Jordan as well and put up big money for their items, but ping and Nick are the two most well known Jordan collectors on here in my opinion.

Good luck in your collecting, and if you have any Pistons I need, let me know. Smile
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

(08-01-2011, 10:41 AM)quavis Wrote: If you want any respect from us, don't search packs! My advise, that I wish I had taken years ago. SAVE your money til you have enough for one of those "awesome" cards. Quality is waaaaay better than quantity. I had to build up to get some nice cards and now I have a few nice and a ton of junk. Don't waste time on the junk unless you just like it. If you're trying to make money, only buy cards that are in demand and buy low sell high. 50% of what you think you can sell it for is a good way to try and double your money like most retailers would do. Good luck and have fun with your new addiction!
+1
Don't buy cheap autos/gus just to "bulk" up. I bought a lot of base gu and stuff when I started and now looking back I could have had one or two good cards that I would actually like to have now but oh well. But yes I have a lot of nice cards (IMO anyway) and I have bought all of mine but over the course of a few years.
[Image: celts_reds_bengs_sig.jpg]
WHO-DEY