`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BGS 8s & 8.5s what are your thoughts on these grades?

RE: BGS 8s & 8.5s what are your thoughts on these grades?
The average BGS grade on cards over 20pt thickness, is 8.5. Got that right from BGS.

Therefore, any grade above 8.5 on 50pt card or thicker, is above average. An 8 would be below average.
2012 Beckett "Super Collector"

I'm not really a fan of the white BGS labels but for 80's rookies I certainly don't mind the 8's.. 90's or up I have no issues with 8.5's seeing how that's basically the condition you pull out of packs.. For the most part, If I submit a card and it receives a 9.5 (besides F.Taylor) I'll flip it for a 8.5 or 9 of the same card and buy a few more with the extra savings.

(07-30-2011, 04:53 PM)gangstippie Wrote: I've thought about that. Do they still let you know the grade if it doesn't meet the minimum?
No, they don't let you know what it would have graded...it just comes back as "didn't meet minimum grade."

And to be honest, I would never buy a card that was graded anything less than a 9.5 unless the lower grade was the only option or the card was rare. So, I'm not a fan of 8.5 at all, but I understand some people are okay with it. (I'll consider 9's with the ultra thick products like Exquisite or Five Star...they are so hard to grade)

I am anything but okay with my 10 8.5's from the submission. Still not sure how I'm going to handle it though...so I'm feeling your pain G...
I like cards serial numbered 34/xx
[Image: RD1.jpg]
Still working on 2009 Topps Magic Autos

Check out my bucket have submited 100+ cards over last 6 months in group submission with minium of 9 grade I think done fairly well.

(07-30-2011, 05:33 PM)giantfan270 Wrote: The average BGS grade on cards over 20pt thickness, is 8.5. Got that right from BGS.

Therefore, any grade above 8.5 on 50pt card or thicker, is above average. An 8 would be below average.
Funny thing is, the thicker my card, the better the grade. Both of my National Treasures cards came back 9.5s. I also have a TTT Peyton Manning jersey/auto at 9.5.
(07-30-2011, 05:28 PM)itsdagooch Wrote: Here is my thing with graded. Yes, it's nice to have your treasures encapsulated/protected in a graded case. But if it is newer product, 2000 and up.....if it isn't 9.5, I won't even have it encapsulated. thats my opinion on grades though. 8s & 8.5s look better on old stuff if ya know what i mean.
I agree 100%

(07-30-2011, 08:32 PM)gangstippie Wrote: Funny thing is, the thicker my card, the better the grade. Both of my National Treasures cards came back 9.5s. I also have a TTT Peyton Manning jersey/auto at 9.5.

I agree 100%
NT grades better becuase of how the cards are cut and they don't use the holofoil like a lot of products. Holofoil thick cards don't usually grade as well because of corners and edges..

I feel 8.5 thick cards are undervalued by the hobby. These cards are like 9.0 20 pt cards. The nature of the cutting processes makes 9.0 and 9.5 >90 pt cards more rare. I would rather have a 9.0 thick card than a 9.5 20 pt card in which there are hundreds available at that grade.

9.5's just to have 9.5's is not always better. It also limits your options on thick cards like SP Authentic, Exquisite, Certified if you are looking only for 9.5s.

Also, in the current market, 9.5 cards do not always get you a premium price. A lot sell just above ungraded prices.