`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to do with damaged cards?

What to do with damaged cards?
Okay, I am sure I am not alone here, but it is very hard to throw out any cards, no matter if they are damaged or not. After accumulating quite the collection of damaged and un-needed cards, decided to combine two of my passions together, baseball cards and art. I began to use the damaged cards in my art projects. I have included pics of two of my projects. One is a collection of Fleer cards (25 years at the point it was made) and includes pieces of cards from the past 25 years. The other is a collection of pieces of Ozzie Smith cards. Normally, this art will take about a week to complete (non-stop) and I can easily use close to 100-200 different cards. Just thought I would share what I do with damaged and un-needed cards.
John

[Image: IMG_1182.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1184.jpg]
Avid Cal Ripken Jr. fan

RE: What to do with damaged cards?
Cool idea, I think for the Ozzie one, you should have done the silhouette of him doing the back flip.

That would have been neat. Doing anykind of silouette was challenging because each card piece had to be cut to form the player, so that piece did take a lot longer than my other pieces. Plus, that piece was kind of hard to do just because I collect Ozzie Smith, so cutting up cards of a player I collect was hard.
Avid Cal Ripken Jr. fan

I love that Ozzie one! Fortunately, I don't see any cards in it that I don't have. Big Grin I like that silhouette better than the flip. The flip would've been harder to tell what he was doing. A silhouette of the pic in my avatar would've been really cool though.

Good job on both of them. I give all my damaged cards to my 4 yr. old nephew. He doesn't care if they are messed up. He's just happy to have cards of his own to look at. Plus, it helped keep him from always wanting to mess with my collection. Smile

As an Ozzie fan, sweet! I give damaged cards (and unneeded 80's commons) to my 2 year old son. It's surprising how careful he is with them usually. He likes to spread them out and point out the cards with shoes in them. And after several minutes of being gentle with them, he throws them into the box we store them in.

Thanks, I enjoyed doing this piece.

Kids do not seem to care about the condition of cards, they are just happy to have them.
When my son throws his cards in a box, I just cringe. I try to teach him to nicely place them in there, but young children don't have that kind of time
Smile
Avid Cal Ripken Jr. fan

I use mine for TTM autograph requests.
[Image: fredwilliamson.jpg]

i bring mine to my week end job and put them on the window sill in those card boxes and right free on them.its a luandrymat the kids that come in there go thru them and take ones they like.somtimes i see them trading with other kids in there.gotta say it feels cool to make them happy.
[Image: griffeyjr.jpg]