`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the official National Convention thread!

RE: the official National Convention thread!
I wont be attending, but wish I could. I attended one national, 1987 at Moscone Center in San Francisco. I was 14 years old then, and remember being in awe of the sheer size of the show and the unbelievable merchandise. I got my 18-year-old brother to drive me over from Sacramento. We went to the show for awhile and then ran around Fisherman's Wharf.

I remember selling some cards, which gave us more money to goof around with on the wharf. My big pick-up that day was a box of 1986-87 Fleer basketball cards. I had all the good cards from that set. They are now long gone, though. Sold them to a buddy's dad in early 90s with most of my baseball cards. Actually turned out to be good timing on the sale.

Anyway, have fun. For those of you who go...PLEASE POST UPDATES AND SCANS OF YOUR PICKUPS! I'm living vicariously through you!
Collect Kirk Gibson (Tigers), Lou Whitaker, Alan Trammell, Jack Morris (Tigers), Lance Parrish (Tigers), Sparky Anderson (Tigers), Tom Brookens (Tigers), as well as earlier Tigers greats like Al Kaline, Norm Cash, Mickey Lolich, Willie Horton,etc.

For those of you attending the National Convention, be sure to stop by the Beckett booth as I would love to meet you guys.

I will be working the beckett.com side and will be able to tell you guys about some upcoming features being worked on, sell discounted OPG's (new subs and extensions) and more.

And for those of you scouring through the piles of cards at the show, I am offering a nice reward if anyone can locate the Fleer Showcase Masterpieces Vinny Sutherland 1/1 for my personal collection.

Hope everyone has a great time and I look forward to seeing you there!

Bill S.
Bill S.
"32-years in the Hobby"
Collector of all "Sutherland" cards!

I started a thread on the Nationals the other day asking for advice (http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1449836.html) and just now posted the following over on that thread--offering up some advice of my own.

I just scoped out hotels on Priceline, and went with the "name your own price" bid. Scored the 4 star Hyatt Regency Ohare for $55 per night (my first bid....shoot, I should have started lower). It seemed that the ORD (Ohare) South zone in Priceline is all very conveniently close to the convention center i.e. less than 1-2 miles away. I think I was able to easily land my bid since I'll only be staying Wednesday and Thursday nights--not the weekend. Definitely worth a shot if you still have yet to book a hotel! Going to love being just a few hundred skywalk feet away from my hotel room :-)

So wish I was going! Went last year and in '03 in Atlantic City. Trading & selling are surprisingly easy at the National. Last year I went with $400 and after buying/selling/trading, I ended up leaving with $200 left! Still managed to get g/u cards of Ruth, Mays, Foxx & Knute Rockne along with 2 hobby boxes. Can't wait for it to come around my area again! To anyone going, have fun!
[Image: 9tnms3F.png]
Collecting Tom Brady, Rob Gonkowski, Mike Trout and Baseball HOF Relics

1 more day! cant wait!
[Image: Ppgoq.jpg]

Jeff Samardzija Supercollector!

Autos: 64
1/1s: 106
total unique cards: 958

Also collecting Nomar Garciaparra, Dan Haren, Manny Ramirez, Roger Maris and Kerry Wood

how do u trade and sell there jw
[Image: banner4_zps7ecf2a69.jpg]

also dez bryant,any bama players in bama uni,john parker wilson,jered weaver,matt kemp,topps triple thread stuff,anthony rizzo

(08-02-2011, 01:24 PM)rascrush Wrote: how do u trade and sell there jw
Just start talking to dealers at the tables and ask if they are willing to trade or buy. While you are there you can only sell to dealers and not the general public.
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

(08-02-2011, 03:17 PM)sonnyday Wrote: Just start talking to dealers at the tables and ask if they are willing to trade or buy. While you are there you can only sell to dealers and not the general public.
Why couldnt you sell to the general public? will they throw you out of the nationals for that?

so there's not a room for the general public to go into, show off their stuff, then trade it away/sell with each other?

I won't be able to go this year. I already have the week separated for next year in Baltimore. Will start saving from now for that show.