`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Etopps: Worth it?

RE: Etopps: Worth it?
Do it! If you go out buying cards as an investment you will be let down pretty quick....esp. in the case of prospects. As a fellow Red Bird Fanatic the value of any St.Louis card is amazing. Those birds on the bat are the class of MLB!!!! Jon Jay cards are also pretty cheap and you will find that you can buy a ton of Ozzie cards cheap too! Enjoy and Go Cards!

I've bought a few but have little interest in them now. I got the Bryce Harper email yesterday and was thinking of trying to get some of them and then flip them for profit but it's a MILB card and not worth the time. Also really turned off by the Strasburg Etopps "lottery" last year for a lack of a better term.

Thanks for your input! I think I might wait until later in the week to buy the Shelby Miller. The trade deadline comes up soon, and the Cardinals need a closer. Miller could end up on in the Padres farm system in a few days...Anyway, barring trade I might go ahead and buy it. Staying away from the Harper though.

If you don't order within the first few minutes of IPO you will not get the card. One of the most confounding problems with eTopps, is that they leave an IPO up "for sale" even after it sold out. So that any people who order the card after the first few minutes will not get one allocated to them. The minor league cards are not used for the games and the only bonuses available to them are if the player gets called up to the majors before the end of the year roster expansion. While most of the MiLB cards on eTopps do not hold their value very well some of them do quite well for at least a short time. I predict that the Harper will be selling for over $20 the first week after it is released.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Ah, so one has to put aside work/sleep/whatever they're doing to get the cards. I'm surprised Topps doesn't double the print runs if they can sell them all. Obviously it would decrease demand but since when is Topps worried about overprinting....

(07-26-2011, 04:16 PM)dlcarst Wrote: Ah, so one has to put aside work/sleep/whatever they're doing to get the cards. I'm surprised Topps doesn't double the print runs if they can sell them all. Obviously it would decrease demand but since when is Topps worried about overprinting....
1:00pm Mondays every week are when they go live...
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]

I have done Etopps since 2001 and it has its ups and downs but overall it is my favorite product out. You can choose to leave the cards in your online portfolio for as long as you want and when you went them order them to be delivered to you for a fee. I like being able to leave them online because it makes it much easier to trade them on the etopps trade platform they have set up over there. Also it saves on space when you have a large collection. If you ever have them delivered to you they are high quality cards(bowman sterling refractor comes to mind) that are encased in the topps uncirculated cases.

Someone above mentioned that they all sell out within minutes. Not so sure that is true. I would say any highly anticipated card sells out in minutes but others may never sell out. The Shelby Miller card may not be sold out yet and might be worth a try if you really want the card. On the other hand the Bryce Harper card is sold out and you would have no chance of getting one this late in the week.

And the games they are lots of fun and you win prizes. I won a case of Finest in the 2010 Football Challenge and a case of Topps Lineage in the 2011 Baseball challenge which is still going on. Also I am at #6 overall after 8 of 14 weeks in the 2011 Baseball Challenge with these prizes.

Overall Contest Prizes (one prize per ranking)
Cumulative 1st Place 1 Case of Topps Triple Threads Baseball Cards + 1 Case of Topps Baseball Cards $3,004
Cumulative 2nd Place 1 Case of Topps Triple Threads Baseball Cards $2,512
Cumulative 3rd Place 1 Case Bowman Sterling Baseball $1,560
Cumulative 4th Place 1 Baseball Bat Autographed by David Wright, Robinson Cano, Russell Martin, Ryan Zimmerman, Justin Verlander, Curtis Granderson, Justin Morneau, Andre Ethier, Hanley Ramirez & B.J. Upton $1,500
Cumulative 5th Place 1 Bob Gibson Autographed Baseball $249

Week 1 ARV
1st Place 1 Case of Topps Tribute Baseball Cards $804
2nd Place 1 Case of Topps Heritage Baseball Cards $579
3rd Place 1 Matt Kemp Autographed Baseball $199

Week 2
1st Place 1 Case of Topps Allen & Ginter Baseball Cards $801
2nd Place 1 Case of Topps Chrome Baseball Cards $608
3rd Place 1 Miguel Montero Autographed Baseball $249

Week 3
1st Place 1 Baseball Bat Autographed by David Wright, Robinson Cano, Russell Martin, Ryan Zimmerman, Justin Verlander, Curtis Granderson, Justin Morneau, Andre Ethier, Hanley Ramirez & B.J. Upton $1,500
2nd Place 1 Case of Topps Finest Baseball Cards $576
3rd Place 1 Elvis Andrus & Ian Kinsler Autographed Baseball $249

Week 4
1st Place 1 Case of Topps Lineage Baseball Cards $972
2nd Place 1 Case of Topps Gypsy Queen Baseball Cards $780
3rd Place 1 Shin-Soo Choo Autographed Bat $199

Week 5
1st Place 1 Case of Topps Marquee Baseball Cards $1,248
2nd Place 1 Case of Topps Heritage Baseball Cards $579
3rd Place 1 Ivan Rodriguez Autographed Bat $249

Week 6
1st Place 1 Case of Topps Tier 1 Baseball Cards $780
2nd Place 1 Case of Topps Chrome Baseball $608
3rd Place 1 Pair of Roger Clemens Game-Worn Uniform Pants $199

Week 7
1st Place 1 Case of Bowman Platinum Baseball Cards $820
2nd Place 1 Case of Topps Finest Baseball Cards $579
3rd Place 1 Carlos Lee Autographed MLB Jersey $199

Week 8
1st Place 1 Case of Bowman Sterling Baseball Cards $1,560
2nd Place 1 Case of Bowman Chrome Baseball Cards $578
3rd Place 1 Alex Gordon Autographed Baseball $249

Week 9
1st Place 1 Case of Topps Tribute Baseball Cards $804
2nd Place 1 Case of Bowman Baseball Cards $579
3rd Place 1 Troy Tulowitzki Autographed Baseball $249

Week 10
1st Place 1 Case of Topps Lineage Baseball Cards $972
2nd Place 1 Case of Bowman Baseball Cards $579
3rd Place 1 Aaron Hill Autographed Bat $249

Week 11
1st Place 1 Case of Topps Allen & Ginter Baseball Cards $801
2nd Place 1 Case of Topps Baseball Cards $492
3rd Place 1 Kelly Johnson Autographed Baseball $249

Week 12
1st Place 1 Case of Topps Gypsy Queen Baseball Cards $780
2nd Place 1 Case of Bowman Draft Picks & Prospects Baseball Cards $579
3rd Place 1 Chris Perez Autographed Baseball $199

Week 13
1st Place 1 Case of Topps Marquee Baseball Cards $1,248
2nd Place 1 Case of Bowman Chrome Baseball Cards $610
3rd Place 1 Bob Gibson Autographed Baseball $249

Week 14
1st Place 1 Case of Bowman Platinum Baseball Cards $820
2nd Place 1 Case of Bowman Draft Picks & Prospects Baseball Cards $579
3rd Place 1 Dave Winfield Autographed Baseball $199
My wants

AJ Green AUTO
Rookie Cards
Ticket Stubs

I have been on eTopps on and off since 2002, and I agree with what durshar said. The games are definitely a nice plus as I won 1st place on week 3, though I am not really interested in that autographed bat and would definitely rather have won a case of cards. Heck I would rather have won 3rd place in week 5 than anything else. Last year I won a Barry Bonds autographed baseball. I just missed 3rd place this past week by a couple of points, as I came in 5th. I would be doing a lot better overall had I not been having a baby and simply forgotten to play in week 4.
Overall eTopps can be a great platform, and while it has it's own set of problems it is fun to be a part of.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/