`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turning against A&G

Turning against A&G
I have always supported it, always bought it...have never really had a bad word to say about it, even when it killed me the past two years. I have had many huge hits in it and have never been on the side of the people who consistently bash it for any number of reasons...however...

It is seriously irritating that in past years I would pull anywhere from 4-6 autos per case but this year when topps has been continually advertising the "deepest auto checklist ever" they apparently have decided to short the autos without really mentioning it...I am now looking at 5 boxes with zero autos, 15 baseball player gu with none worth more than 3-4 bucks, no cloth, no rip cards, no /25 minis, no no number minis...nothing...the best card in 5 boxes has been a Lincoln Flocculous Faces that I got 10.00 out of. What a waste of money. Oh, also know 5 other boxes from the same case have been opened with only 1 auto..no rips in those either and no /25 or no number minis...I'm rating it one star this year...very disappointed.

PS before some know it all says it, yes I realize rips are 1:case and there are two boxes left...
Player collecting Dominic Smith
[Image: a2b9799d-d00b-4864-9937-c5ed26367c17.jpg]

RE: Turning against A&G
I haven't paid too much attention to the rips, except to notice they are popular. Anyone have stats on what is in them and how rare those items are? The only ones I have seen ripped had junk minis in them.

I personally think the product is garbage. I decided that last year after my case yielded a few autos, $4 dollar game used and no rip. Topps is sliding and this is proof of that.
[Image: YhZT2.png]

DO NOT TRADE: Richard Albers

Last year, I purchased two boxes, had a red auto in one, and a rip card in the other. I was happy with the pulls, considering I've only bought 5 boxes in 3 years. but I didn't care for the base cards or inserts. As for this year, I've heard lots of complaints.

And I have to say the exact opposite as this is one of thr best products I have ever sold in my store.

I can't tell u how many big finds have been found by my customers in my store. Seems like a third of all the boxes have one card worth almost half the box price.

The best box was the first one opened: 1/1 plates of wright and cabrera plus silk of jeter.

I have purchased as many as 20 boxes in a single year...usually at least 10 or so. I have pulled about 5 really good cards...cards that went anywhere from 150-300...But the last three years have been horrible, especially this year.

Looks like the collation has been just awful in A & G this year. The first case opened at my local LCS had 7 or 8 Red Sox relics, and the "highlight" of the case was a Lou Holtz auto. Cool card, yes. Best card in a case? Shouldn't be. Other cases yield 5 big time autos and multiple printing plates. Topps can do better collating at least.

Guess it's hit or miss. I opened 2 boxes on the first day of release at my LCS, and got 2 baseball relics, 3 non-baseball relics, a Micky Ward auto, two silk cards, and then all the base, minis, and such. I can't complain, though I did hear tell that a second case opened at the same shop a couple days later yielded utter garbage. Guess I got lucky.
*Please note that in all of my future trades, I will require extra time to ship. I have no adequate transportation to a post office. If you don't want to wait, please do not trade with me.*

(07-25-2011, 07:20 PM)dlcarst Wrote: Looks like the collation has been just awful in A & G this year. The first case opened at my local LCS had 7 or 8 Red Sox relics, and the "highlight" of the case was a Lou Holtz auto. Cool card, yes. Best card in a case? Shouldn't be. Other cases yield 5 big time autos and multiple printing plates. Topps can do better collating at least.
That is correct, the collation is horrible, I didn't even think to mention that one of the boxes had 2 Justin Morneau relics in it.

I believe that Topps philosophy had always been that a hit (irregardless if it is a $2 white swatch), is good enough on a box by box basis. After talking to TOPPS at the many trade conferences, they focus on what is possible from a series (like a Manny Pacquio) auto or a JFK 1/1 relic in the entire A&G series)...and not on a case by case basis within A&G.

Sorry about the poor results.
Upperdeck Diamond Club member
Member of Beckett's board since 2003
[Image: 8cfcaeb5.jpg]