`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NEED ADVICE PLEASE! 1st time attending the NSCC Nationals (2011 Chicago)

RE: NEED ADVICE PLEASE! 1st time attending the NSCC Nationals (2011 Chicago)
(07-26-2011, 04:25 AM)fulltritty Wrote: I have a feeling that I will find so much to buy there, that I may walk out with next to nothing because I can't make up my mind.

This will be a good time to get the "lay of the land" as I plan on saving for an All-Access VIP Pass and attending every day next year when it comes to Baltimore.

I was wondering about the trading too as I was planning on bringing my extras of 2011 Topps, 2010 Bowman Platinum, and 2010 Topps Chrome to trade and try and complete the cards I need from those sets.
If you're looking to trade base and low-end inserts, I'd leave them at home. I carried a notebook full of low-end stuff to a yearly show here in Dallas and when I got there, I realized nobody wants to trade for that stuff. When I saw what they were dealing, I left the notebook in my backpack and never once took it out.

You should be able to pick up some base and inserts at these shows, but expect to pay anywhere from 25 cents to $1 for them. People don't want to bring their base commons to a big show because they're not able to recoup their fees as quickly, if at all.

bump for any more replies, advice, suggestions, etc

Especially, any tips on booking a hotel? I'm thinking a cheap Priceline bid in a neighboring burb and just driving in each day?

Also, can trades occur among non-dealer folks at these conventions? Is it against any kind of 'protocol'?

One other question that just came to mind. On the Wednesday preview night, what exactly is that? I'm mostly interested in terms of how much can you look around/scout what the dealers are selling (not really so much with getting autographs this time around). Do all dealers have their stuff set up by then? I assume obviously that you cannot purchase anything from them that night? Any chance to have something placed on 'reserve' for purchase the next day or do they frown on that?

Again, if anyone has advice/answers on my other questions, would greatly appreciate it!!! Especially the trading aspects and how they work--both with dealers and other show patrons. I assume you can bring in however much of your stuff you want to? Just would be a hassle to carry it around if it's a lot I suppose.

Unfortunately, I'm just limited to the Wednesday preview night and Thursday at the show, so I'm trying to do as much research ahead of time to get the most bang for my buck and time.

Thanks!
Dan

You can buy on Wednesday.

Trading can be hard, especially if there's multiple cards involved or mostly low end. And if the dealer is by himself, its that much harder. Who's going to help out the customers?

I would suggest scouting out the table, see what he specializes in, and see what cards u would want from him before offering a trade.

So if you can buy on Wednesday, just curious then why it's called a "sneak peek" day? Just because it's the first day and it's not open as long?

So....any protocol on being able to trade or not trade with other show patrons present?

Any real advantage to having BGS grade cards onsite? Just if you don't want to risk damage in the mail and the turnaround time it takes for grading? Do you actually get to watch a Beckett grader go through the process?

Advantage to grading at the show is the turnaround time and no shipping/ insurance fees.

You cant watch the graders as they are blocked off in a curtained cubical.

There's no problem trading with other show goers as long as you don't do it in front of a dealers table.

Advantage to grading at the show is the turnaround time and no shipping/ insurance fees.

You cant watch the graders as they are blocked off in a curtained cubical.

There's no problem trading with other show goers as long as you don't do it in front of a dealers table.

Thanks for all the replies and advice so far, appreciate it. If anyone has anything else, keep it coming please.

My turn to offer advice now. I just scoped out hotels on Priceline, and went with the "name your own price" bid. Scored the 4 star Hyatt Regency Ohare for $55 per night (my first bid....shoot, I should have started lower). It seemed that the ORD (Ohare) South zone in Priceline is all very conveniently close to the convention center i.e. less than 1-2 miles away. I think I was able to easily land my bid since I'll only be staying Wednesday and Thursday nights--not the weekend. Definitely worth a shot if you still have yet to book a hotel! Going to love being just a few hundred skywalk feet away from my hotel room :-)

One other question, I assume you can leave and come back any time throughout the day at the convention i.e. just having to show your admission ticket stub, etct? Like I mentioned before, I'm planning just attending the Wednesday and Thursday days, so am just purchasing two single day passes--I assume this privilege (re-entry to the show) would be for any level of ticket that's purchased?....but I don't want to assume too much if this doesn't happen to be the case.