`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Collecting again after 10+ years - any tips?

Collecting again after 10+ years - any tips?

After 10+ years, I dug out and organized my old childhood collection into sleeves and binders and also online here at Beckett in the 'organize' section. I recently found and bought a couple boxes of pro set 90-91 series 2 and 97-98 UD Collector's Choice at Wally world. The nostalgia has come roaring back lol Now my question to all is what should I do next? I'm considering a subscription but unsure of the length and whether to go with total access online or via the Beckett monthly magazine, or both. Looking for tips for trading/buying/selling and using forums. And finally, should I open all those packages in the boxes? After restarting this hobby, any tips from the die hard to casual collectors would be appreciated.

RE: Collecting again after 10+ years - any tips?
hi welcome back to the site. first read the stickys before you put anything in your online org.

the hobby itself has change a lot since you started. i notice that when i came back from a break (98 to 10). a lot of high end products ($100+ per pack for like 4-7 cards) that still blows my mind. there is still some nice entry levels boxes and mid range boxes to choose from as well.

for you two boxes i say rip them. unfortunately the pro set doesn't carry much value as that was the years of mass production. not sure on the CC but it be a fun rip any ways.

both online pricing and mags has its pros and cons to them. if you want to inventory on here your cards might as well get online or pay the fee for the yearly org. (beckett now charges to use it if over 100 cards so make sure you read the sticky).

one thing I went by when I came back which helps. is collect what you think is fun and will enjoy.

any more questions feel free to ask away
using tracking numbers (all US and some Can)

Thanks for the advice!

(07-26-2011, 05:25 AM)avrnielsen Wrote: Thanks for the advice!
no problem

Keep it fun

SET COLLECTOR, RYAN SMYTH, BOBBY ORR AND MARTIN ST. LOUIS

(07-26-2011, 08:00 AM)bluefrozencanuck Wrote: Keep it fun
+1, that is my number one rule

collect what I like (so it has to bring me back to as a kid)

I would have to say that the online subscription is the best bet. Like bonnev said, you get to organize your cards with one, and you will get the pricing of your cards. Also, I agree to rip the boxes. Pro-Set in the least desirable of all the productions out there, but you might be able to pull the Brett Hull auto, or the Patrick Roy! I don't know about the CC either, but you never know what you will find.

As for the things that you should be looking for when getting back into it... jersey cards and auto cards are the big ticket nowadays. You will surely find someone to trade with if you are able to land a highly collectable player's jersey or auto card. The best sets for these are SPx (about $150/box and 4-5 "hits"), SP Authentic ($130/box and four autos, chance at patch/auto rookie), Black Diamond ($100/box 3-6 "hits"). They all have their ups-and-downs, but are fun to rip into. Another one that is great to collect is Upper Deck ($75-90/box, 6 Young Guns, 10-12 inserts, 2 jersey cards, chance at "case hit"). The Young Guns rookie cards are still highly sought after and can bring in some decent cards for your PC (personal collection).

As for your personal collection, you can/should go with a player that you really enjoy. Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, Jonathan Toews, and the such are all highly collected and hard to come by. They really are the ones that are the top of the market, along with the newest and hottest rookies. You can also go with teams, themes or sets. It's up to you, but remember to make the chase fun for yourself! Sorry that I got a bit long winded on this one. I hope that this helps you out a bit, and if you ever need anything from the Beckett community, please do not hesitate to ask! There are many great members on here that enjoy giving the new guy a hand!

Welcome back and happy collecting!

Randi

a nice mixture of packs and singles buying coupled with some trading is really fun...you can acquire a lot of nice things in a short amount of time...people are always willing to help and then theres ebay if you dont have a card shop close by...+1 to the fun comment as well....