`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
OT: EBAY feedback question

RE: OT: EBAY feedback question
(07-18-2011, 05:52 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: I would just leave positive, assuming I'm happy with the card since that is what I was paying for, and ding his communication/shipping DSRs.
that's probably what I'd do. And it's anonymous anyway, right?
[Image: yrBtR.png]
Collecting Reds and A's (especially Joey Votto, Bronson Arroyo, and Josh Reddick)

everything ive ever sold or traded, has come with what I believe to be good communication. if something comes up, i let the other person know. if ive paid for something and the person says it will be shipped, then it should be shipped unless they tell you otherwise! i hate it when this stuff happens. i would leave neutral and call it a day.
JD

(07-18-2011, 05:54 PM)bustin 5 knots Wrote: that's probably what I'd do. And it's anonymous anyway, right?
I think so. I pretty much always leave 5 stars anyway and have only left I think 1-2 neutrals in the 13 years I've been on ebay. Though there was one time about a year and a half ago I won a card and I dinged the guy on shipping because he took two weeks to ship which was well after his stated period of time to ship. I did leave a positive though and did shoot him an email letting him know I dinged him on shipping.

(07-18-2011, 10:58 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: in a voluntary system - which is what the ebay feedback system is - feedback cannot be held hostage.

im a powerseller. i do one auction, relist every ten days, been doing it for 10 years. i leave feedback in batches, usually twice a week. at this point, there's no reason for a seller not to leave feedback first because buyer feedback means jack since sellers cannot leave negative, neutrals, or even positives with negative statements. in regards to feedback, sellers have been castrated

i guess that's why i find the opinion that the buyer is somehow ENTITLED to feedback of any kind - first, last or otherwise - nauseating

people need to get their minds right about feedback, and stop making it personal. not everyone's situation is the same, not everyone looks at feedback the same, and just because a seller or buyer doesnt believe the same way as you do about the importance of feedback doesnt mean you should launch into hyperbole, such as talking about "hostages"

feedback is voluntary. that is an inapproachable fact on ebay. and feedback should never be about if or when feedback is left.

mind you, i leave FB first. i do it "the right way" (though some extremists will say i should leave feedback right after someone pays. i have far too many transactions to do that). but the entitlement of both sellers and buyers on ebay about feedback is redunkulous

/my two cents. wont argue my point further
No need for further argument when you're absolutely right.

The concept of holding feedback hostage has its origins at a time when sellers could give buyers negative feedback. Some sellers withheld feedback until they received positive feedback. That way if there were any complaints they could retaliate and then solicit feedback withdrawal. Some sellers excused this practice on the grounds that "the transaction isn't completed until I'm certain that the buyer is satisfied," but in reality it was an unethical practice designed to bully buyers into not reporting problems.

eBay recognized this growing problem and eventually made it impossible to provide negative feedback for buyers. This was a highly controversial move that set the message boards aflame, but there is no question that it was successful in eliminating this form of seller intimidation.

Because buyers can no longer receive negative feedback the term "feedback hostage" is no longer very meaningful. It's sometimes used to describe the practice of a seller waiting for positive feedback before reciprocating. This practice is illogical and self-defeating under the current system, but it doesn't constitute feedback hostage, and as jsh points out, there's nothing unethical about it.

I encourage sellers to provide immediate feedback upon payment if they can because (a) buyers like it, (b) it's harmless, and © some buyers are really hung up on it. Sellers who subscribe to Selling Manager Pro can provide automated positive feedback upon payment, so some buyers have come to expect it. It's like an immediate "thank you." If you don't provide it, you may end up compared unfavorably (right or wrong) with sellers who use automated feedback.