IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Card Show in NYC

Card Show in NYC
Anyone attending this Saturday? 43rd steet right by the garden

RE: Card Show in NYC
I was going to go up there, i realize this is an old post but they do it every 2nd saturday i think. I couldn't find any info on the show itself it seemed like just baseball cards but you went so is it worth going to?
(07-07-2011, 02:03 PM)ShaqEatsThat Wrote: Anyone attending this Saturday? 43rd steet right by the garden
Collecting KNICKS and IMAN SHUMPERT super collecting
Frazier lettermans from the ALL TIME GREATS
www.photobucket.com/knickerpleasenba

I went to W.O.F. today, they were closed, totally forgot it being Columbus Day. Went to another shop, bought 4 packs. Pulled a Babbitt rc auto & a Parish jersey card....

I think theres a card show at the end of this month @ Hofstra University...
Inconstancy is my very essence says the wheel Rise up on my spokes if ya like but dnt complain wen ya cast back down into the depths Good times pass away but then so do the bad Mutability is our tragedy but its also our hope The worst of times like the best are always passin away http://www.photobucket.com/vgqv

Info about card shows is listed here:

http://www.beckett.com/showcal/showcalsearch.aspx

The NYC show is once per month at Holy Cross School, 332 W. 43rd St., 10-4, 40T, a:$1.

There's also a show at Hofstra, which usually has more people and tables.

I hate when they have card shows every single week. What is worse, is they charge every time. Even if it is only a few dollars... going to a show with the same dealers, no wax, or hardly any.. is not my type of card show.

I remember growing that there was a show once a month or every 3-4 months. Depending on what time of the year. There would be always new dealers or average collectors trying to sale a few singles & what we now call base. Those were the days of Shaq, hardaway, & webber. Some times the shows were free, others we had to pay anywhere from $3-10 depending on what type of show it was. Usually when paying $10, you would get a gift of an autograph of who ever was signing that day or you would get a few packs of cards.. since packs only cost about $2-3 back then. I love the early 90's. Collecting was so much more fun & inexpensive.

Back to today's world... I live in San Diego. I do not attend card shows too often. The few that I have gone to were very poor. I paid the $3 bucks to get in, seen no wax.. nothing exciting, except a few single kobe, lebron, & MJ cards. they were all on the $1-3 bins. Not too many people were spending big bucks. I don't understand how those dealers broken even. They had to pay, what, $50-100 per table... I do not believe there are too many people that carry a lot of cash to a card show that is put on every week. I took $200 hoping to buy some wax, and walked out spending about $10 including my entry fee.

It might be because there are less collectors or cards cost way too much these days. It is hard to find other collectors in my area (San Diego).. especially those that collect basketball.

hopefully, when the NBA season comes back.. they can promote collecting cards again...

off subject, but every LCS I have been to in the last 2-3 years only have a few basketball boxes. Looks like they do not stock basketball cards too often.. & when they do it is 1-3 boxes only.. then that is it.. no more.. unless a customer asks for it. I have only seen two shops that had Exquisite or National Treasures on the shelf.
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*