`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Upper Deck the killer of the Jordan and Lebron auto value?

Is Upper Deck the killer of the Jordan and Lebron auto value?
Once upon a time, to uncover a MJ or LB Autograph was so rare, the value of a pulled auto could exceed $10K+. When Upper Deck released info on their latest offering 2011-12 SP Authentic, I was stunned to see yet again, it is "guaranteed" a consumer will uncover a MJ or LB auto in every case.

Outside of Exquisite, when a consumer can get their hands on a Jordan Auto do they really care which one they purchase if the price is right? If the odds are given that you will 100% find something, doesn't it make it worth less? I am no economist, but if the odds are easier to find a MJ auto every year, and more and more licensed Jordans become available, won't the value of most Jordan cards continue to drop?

Technically Upper Deck is shooting itself and the hobby in the foot to make payroll for another quarter. The saddest part to me, is that upper deck will continue to look for ways to be more profitable next year to stay in business. They will use the best players (MJ, LB) in the hobby to do it. So unless threads like this appear everywhere, they will make the likelihood of pulling the great one autos in every box by 2016 - which will make the value of all these autos pretty much worthless (compared to what they could of been)

I own a Jordan auto, so it's prob easier for me to say this than someone looking for one, but to me this is an example of how inevitably what will sport assets be worth in 20 years?

RE: Is Upper Deck the killer of the Jordan and Lebron auto value?
Not saying it will be this little amount of cases.
But say they ( YES I know this # is funny ) make 1,000 cases. That means you can only find 500 of each.

Then since Jordan is a megastar......... He will always have people buying his cards/auto's. As I am sure Jordan has over 500 collectors... I know 1,000 is a really low count. But I was just throwing out a #...

And "King" James.. Well I think in another 2 maybe 3 years If he doesn't win a championship his stuff will soften. Not saying he will or he won't I just think people will finally see that he is just a choke artist.

+1 here, I think that we all saw this already with the game used memoribilia concept and how the card companies handled that over the years.
My first GU card was a Damon Stoudamire UD Game Jerseys from 1998-99 Upper Deck and I pulled in from a pack at Wal-Mart. Then it booked for $250 and It was the most expensive card I had at the time. Now, if I were to pull the same caliber of player on a similiar card that is even actually numbered, I would be lucky if the card is in the $10 range.

Then again I pulled the Kobe Chrome RC and it booked at $12 when I pulled that. I don't think that you can forget about the ol' "HYPE" factor. A player or set takes off and you will see the increase in card values, and I mean just look at how the old school sets are taking off lately.

When the hype is there the money finds its way too. If James win a championship next season you will see an increase in even those newer UD autos, but just not as big as it would have been before the current license situation. But, I just don't think that this situation here applies to the entire hobby as a whole IMO.

Good topic!
MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....
NO MORE 1993-94 Finest Refractors / THE SET IS COMPLETED!!!

I think you are right to a certain extent. It comes down to being a supply and demand issue. If the supply out grows the demand then the value will definitely drop. I think there are more than enough Jordan collectors right now that it would take along time before anything negative happened. I also think there will be new Jordan collectors all the time. Granted, it doesn't seem to be as big of a deal when someone pulls one but i think the value will hold pretty steady.

MJ will always be in demand, 500 cards vs worldwide demand for his stuff isn't even remotely an issue.

Companies are going to put out more of what customers - us - demand. End of story.

As far as I'm concerned I would take the Michael Jordan with the least value as long as its a Jordan auto Its too bad card collecting has become strictly about the value of a card and not the autograph itself.

the more stuff that is put out, the likely hood of some cards will drop in value, i just dont want to see them guarantee a jordan or lebron auto in a case that costs $800, that would drop the values alot more.
[Image: 7966e60e-33ac-4de8-bdd9-1ba754cc86b5_zps67dad6ae.jpg]

I don't see it affecting the value of other autos outside of the sets that gurantee higher odds. You will see the SOTTs in the new SP go cheap, but the higher quality MJ autos from that set still sell high. Just about any other auto that hasn't come out of these MJ loaded sets have gone up, selling higher and higher.
[Image: MJCollage_zps3209fd89.jpg]

The only thing I see this hurting is the value of the cards in that particular set itself. Older MJ autos will remain tough pulls and will still be rarer however the new ones in these guarnteed case situations will have far lower values to those that arent per case.
[Image: celts_reds_bengs_sig.jpg]
WHO-DEY

(07-07-2011, 11:24 PM)whodeyalltheway Wrote: The only thing I see this hurting is the value of the cards in that particular set itself. Older MJ autos will remain tough pulls and will still be rarer however the new ones in these guarnteed case situations will have far lower values to those that arent per case.
+1

Today's autos of MJ are only from his UNC time or self portrait. I think many collectors prefer a MJ auto from his Bulls period rather than just an auto on a card.