`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Upper Deck the killer of the Jordan and Lebron auto value?

RE: Is Upper Deck the killer of the Jordan and Lebron auto value?
I am so sick and tired of people joining Lebron and Jordan at the hip every time "auto" is mentioned. I realize Kobe is Panini exclusive now and not part of the SPA discussion...however, as we used to argue on these boards long before the current format....Kobe autos sell for more than Lebron autos in most products that they are both in, ESPECIALLY auto/patches. People act like Lebron and Jordan are it...and nobody else comes close in value. It's like a legend at this point, yes Jordan is number one...no Lebron is NOT number two..except in RC auto pricing he is first obviously. Give me a 3 year old box of exquisite and I would rather pull a high end Kobe auto ANY DAY than a Lebron auto...Very often Lebron limited logos autos (I know because I have pulled them) will sell in the 400-500 range while Kobe will fetch as much as 800 or more in some cases. The same goes for pretty much every high end set that they both appear in...are you people blind? The first time I posted this about 2-3 years ago I supplied over 25 links to auctions where Kobe autos and auto/patches were killing Lebron autos and auto/patches. It's not about being a Kobe fan either, it's about knowing cards...Do you guys even pay attention? I would give my first born child to stop seeing Jordan or Lebron auto/Lebron or Jordan auto/Jordan LBJ auto every where I go with this younger generation of collectors. I mean seriously people, WAKE UP...Check out just these two completed auctions..Lebron prices don't come close to these in the same sets...I personally pulled the very first of the Lebron limited logos from 04-05 5 minutes after release on the east coast....I had the first exquisite cards on ebay that year too...it was at the PEAK of Lebron...It went for 900 and it was an insane card that everybody on beckett talked about for weeks...The Kobe below is from the same set.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KOBE-BRYANT-08-09-EX...19c6ae1123

http://cgi.ebay.com/KOBE-BRYANT-04-EXQUI...19c6ae1129
You guys also have to remember that Jordan and Lebron are appearing in almost no products at this point...If anything, there will be a lot LESS Jordan and Lebron autos on a yearly basis....
Player collecting Dominic Smith
[Image: a2b9799d-d00b-4864-9937-c5ed26367c17.jpg]

I agree that autos will see a decline, I know that their is high demand for both players, and yes even Kobe will get hurt. Its simple economics, the more something gets produced the cheaper it will get, wait 20 years and see what the prices are. This is why I only collect rookies, they always tend to hold their value well. Only exception I would make is in a rare old auto of MJ or Kobe from the early 2000s.

Jordan and lebron auto valued at $50 I would still be happy pulling
[Image: marksig1.jpg]
STAN MIKITA CUP FOUNDATIONS
MATT SMABY CUP PRINTING PLATES

BUCKET LINK

At ease cmcccart8, the thread is making comparisons to the two Upper Deck exclusive athletes and this years SP Authentic cases yielding a guaranteed auto of one of them. The key point being the value of previous releases autographed inserts limited nature and the negative or positive monetary effect this years, more easily attainable, autographs released into the hobby can have on them.

However, since you brought up Kobe. LeBron and him are in two different places in their careers. Kobe is toward the end of his career. LeBron is just barely entering his prime(age wise). Yes, you can always compare values but the bottom line is LeBron has a lot more time to improve himself as a person and a player compared to Kobe. Although it'll be an uphill battle after this years disastrous post game. My point here is that LeBron will be playing for far longer than Kobe. If you want to compare values, both players hobby values have peaked and neither are and ever will be close to what Michael Jordan is.

(07-07-2011, 11:24 PM)whodeyalltheway Wrote: The only thing I see this hurting is the value of the cards in that particular set itself. Older MJ autos will remain tough pulls and will still be rarer however the new ones in these guarnteed case situations will have far lower values to those that arent per case.
+1

I was upset when Panini signed kobe to an exclusive. They go ahead and make 6-7 subsets per product that contain kobe auto's with the numbering being between 25-199! I own 4 Kobe autos from 03-04 through 05-06, so i completely understand the thread holders concern. But I haven't noticed any decrease in my earlier autos. They've actually increased!

lol, why is blade behind the twilight people?
[Image: 7966e60e-33ac-4de8-bdd9-1ba754cc86b5_zps67dad6ae.jpg]

(07-09-2011, 01:07 AM)pingbling23 Wrote: lol, why is blade behind the twilight people?
Lol, he's a vampire killer!

On topic though, I wish they would go down (sorry MJ auto horders).. The demand will always far outweigh the supply for MJ and it'd be awesome for lower budget (or people who just cant justify dropping that kinda coin on cardboard and ink) to afford his autos!

He's a vampire killer, exactly right :-)

cmccart8- I understand your pain, lol. You have to realize that this thread is about the products UD is putting out right now. LBJ & Jordan still have exclusives with UD (Kobe dosen't). The thing about Kobe auto's is that you can find more of his auto's under $100 than the other two. I understand the point that you're making when you compare auto's from the same product, but people don't usually do that. If I want a Kobe auto, I usually can find one at a really good price. I can't always say that about LeBron's stuff. I collect all three. You are correct that his higher end products bring in good coin, but if you just want his auto, then you can get it cheaper. My first Kobe auto I paid $45 for. My first LeBron auto was around $140. My first Jordan $450. Kobe signed for card compaines that the average collector don't put to much stock in (like Collector's Edge).

whodeyalltheway- My point exactly. Jordan's older stuff will maintain value.
I collect LeBron, Jordan, Kobe and anything that catches my eye.
[Image: SU1BRzAxODMtMS5qcGc-1.jpg]