`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'99 and '10 Bowman Chrome breaks with a cool story!
Smile 
'99 and '10 Bowman Chrome breaks with a cool story!
Hello gang,

After taking a break for a few years, my girlfriend Ashleigh is slowly beginning to get back into the hobby (and will likely join the Beckett community soon Smile). Yesterday, she and I took a road trip down to Fort Wayne, Indiana to visit S&S Sport Spot, which is unfortunately one of the closest (1-1/2 hr drive) card shops that we have left to visit.

They had a few boxes of hockey that they were looking to clear out, so I picked those up for myself, and I asked Ash if she saw anything that tickled her fancy. She had spotted a box of 1999 Bowman Chrome Series 1, which was a set that she had been working on, so we threw that one on the pile.

I had noticed that they also had some newer wax on the shelf, including 2008 Bowman Chrome, 2010 Bowman Chrome, and 2011 Bowman. While Ash was distracted, I asked the owner to also grab the 2010 BC box for me, so that she would have something more to break, and a shot at an Austin Jackson auto RC (one of our favorite Tigers). Smile

So, we both pulled up a couple chairs and ripped our wax. My breaks were pretty blah, but she had a small pile of goodies that she had set aside, which included a few of her favorite players, some inserts/parallels, and an auto from her 2010 box...

Elvin Soto Team USA auto
[Image: 2010bcsotoauto.jpg]

...but that wasn't all! Wink...

Then later on last night, I ask her if she was happy with her breaks. She said yes, that she got a few cool cards of players that she liked. I jokingly said "woulda been cool to hit a Jackson or Strasburg in that 2010 box though, huh?!" To which she casually replies..."I did get a Strasburg...but I technically don't have it yet, as it was one of those mail-in cards, so I have to scratch off and enter a code on the Topps website, and they will send it to me later."

So thinking that she's joking of course, lol, I ask her to go get it so that I could see what she was talking about...and yeah, it was definitely a redemption card...and yeah, it was definitely Strasburg...but not just for a regular auto'd base RC, but...

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
...an auto'd PRESS PLATE 1/1!! Big Grin Big Grin

[Image: 2011bcstrasburgplateauto1of.jpg]

I said "that one wasn't in your pile at the card shop, was it"? She said "no, I kept that one separate from the pile, as it wasn't actually a card"! Big Grin

Congrats again, Ash! Big Grin Let's hope that he comes back to pitch better than ever in the 2012 season! Big Grin

Josh
http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l113/JLSportscards/
Red Wings Sign of the Times (70/84)
01/02 BAP Ultimate Retro Teammates (10/14)

RE: '99 and '10 Bowman Chrome breaks with a cool story!
That is absolutely amazing. Great story! Congrats to you both!

Cool story... awesome card!!!
Collecting: Crede, Luck, Tannehill, Osweiler, Cobb

Revolving signature

Amazing pull, great story and great card!

STRASBURG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Image: p18mannbanner.gif]

i cant even imagine how much u could get for that card

Thats so epic haha nice pull

Thanks for all the comments, folks! Smile It's a story that I won't soon forget, that's for sure! Tongue

chiefsncards275-It's always tough to say when it comes to 1/1's...I did notice that a 2010 Topps Chrome Strasburg auto plate sold a few days ago for a little over $400. I'm sure that it would've fetched a lot more about this time last year, but still nothing to sneeze at! Smile
http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l113/JLSportscards/
Red Wings Sign of the Times (70/84)
01/02 BAP Ultimate Retro Teammates (10/14)

at least she didn't throw it out or give it away LOL
Jonny Venters - Super Collector
Overall Collection (113/157 72% Complete)
base/parallels (85/85 100%)
1/1's (28/72 39%)

always looking for venters 1/1's and 2008/2010 low numbered refractors

awesome pull i bet she could get closer to 700.00 for it.congrats on the pull and tell her welcome back because know she is hooked .
[Image: griffeyjr.jpg]