`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
6/30/11 Breaks - Contenders, SPA, Crown. OUCH.

6/30/11 Breaks - Contenders, SPA, Crown. OUCH.
Check out my post on the main board for last month's breaks, then check out the below to see how things tend to balance themselves out. Note that I'm a condition stickler, so I will give you some commentary on that end.

First up, box of Series 1. I scanned rookies, numbered and jerseys. Young Guns came out gem mint for the most part, but collectors should be wary of rough cuts on the edges. Everything else was great condition-wise.

Anniversary: Ryan O'Reilly, Brian Rafalski, Tobias Enstrom, Andrew Brunette, Tomas Fleischmann, and for my PC, Phil Kessel.

All-World: St.Louis, Bryzgalov

Young Guns & Jerseys:

Photobucket
Photobucket

Can't really complain, what with Subban and the Yip (26/100). The Doug Wilson is very cool, too.

Next, 4 packs (assorted) of Crown Royal. This was from an open box so I'm not sure if the store piled these on or if it was an actual box. If it was an actual box, I need to vomit. Condition was perfect for the most part, a couple of insert sets seem to have chipping issues (Legends & Lancers).

Legends: Bucyk, Selanne

"Hits":

Photobucket
Photobucket

More like "drowning well below the surface". And while Perron is 60/99, Boedker is 71/100. What's up there?
Quick is 04/50. The bronze crowns are /100. Achievements /499, Loyalty & Lancers /250.
OUCH OUCH OUCH

Next up, a hodge podge of heinous packs Smile
1 pack of 09-10 BAP (it was their last pack and I love the "last pack"!)
20 packs of Contenders
10 packs of SP Authentic

With BAP I ended up with the /250 rookie jersey

Contenders - 3 autos and a rookie /100

Inserts: (A-POPPIN!)
ROY Contenders: Couture
Award Contenders: Stamkos, Pavelec, Crosby
Legendary Contenders: Richard Brodeur
Draft tandems: Doan/Iginla, Lecavalier/Gagne
Lottery Winners: Van Riemsdyk
Winter Classic: Staal
Leather Larceny: Martin Brodeur
Classic Ticket: Lemelin

SPA - 1 auto rookie, and 2, yes, 2 patch auto rookies. The rookie auto has a dinged upper left corner. The patches both have folded edges to the right of the patch, like every single 10-11 SPA patch I own. Why do I keep giving you my money, Upper Deck? I should at least get an invite to the company functions.

I am done with UD, folks! I could purchase cards instead of sending insured packages with $500 Taylor Hall calls back to an address in California that is now no longer associated with UD.

Let's just say this: I destroyed the odds, but the odds ended up destroying me Wink

Photobucket
Photobucket

I had one more fat SP pack, which I assumed would be a decoy since I had hit a patch. Well, folks....

Photobucket

I am now the world's foremost Evan Brophey collector. Someone please tell me this kid has a future.

The Contenders Thomas is /100.

And with that, I think I'm going to take a long break from breaks and focus on upcoming Beckett Grading shipments and MMA. BUT this was a ton of fun, and I think (I think!) that's what this is all about Smile And it's also nice to be resolved that I am no longer purchasing UD products on the retail level! Singles via eBay, thank you very much.

RE: 6/30/11 Breaks - Contenders, SPA, Crown. OUCH.
I would really like the Daugavins patch, but I would much rather trade for it than buy it.
Collecting Anton Lander and Mark Arcobello

I've already sent an email to UD about opening up a case for the patches. But I could cancel it, I guess.

I totally forgot that I also busted 5 packs of 2005-06 UD Series 2 in search of the big fish. What I got was 2 Young Guns, and 2 jerseys. Super, right? Here are the scans:

Photobucket

Both Young Guns were SLAMMED (i.e. damaged) despite the remainder of the cards being in perfect condition. WHAT GIVES? I have experienced this with the majority of 09-10 Series 2 boxes I've opened, and of course, SP is just a disaster this year.

Am I just too picky? Here's the back of the Coleman YG.

Photobucket

I am GIVING AWAY the Coleman and Berkhoel YGs to anyone willing to pay postage, because I can't use these in my collection.

Interested in the Hank GU. Check out my organize/bucket.
[Image: torts_banner.jpg]
Photobucket of some cards

(07-01-2011, 06:19 PM)kurtanglerookieyear Wrote: I've already sent an email to UD about opening up a case for the patches. But I could cancel it, I guess.
If you want to cancel it, I will gladly trade for one or both patches Smile
Collecting Anton Lander and Mark Arcobello

ouch

maybe you should try ITG (even though 1 product this year I won't touch with a 50 ft pole)
using tracking numbers (all US and some Can)

Not bad at all
[Image: marksig1.jpg]
STAN MIKITA CUP FOUNDATIONS
MATT SMABY CUP PRINTING PLATES

BUCKET LINK

I wouldn't say too picky, but focus on the good. The Series 1 was great, the 05/06 Series 2 was great. 2 patches in 10 packs of SP Authentic? Amazing. And an Omark auto. I wouldn't be saying ouch with that (except for the crown royale, that seemed weak) unless you are expecting too much.
Hockey PC's: Tomas Tatar, Alexander Burmistrov, Boris Valabik, Zach Bogosian
Football PC's: Titus Young, Jimmy Smith, Ed Dickson, Michael Oher, Flacco/Rice and Manningham/Henne dual cards.
Always gone Thur-Sun
[Image: NUC-1.png]

Ya, I was cool with the Series 1. The Series 2 and SPA left a bad taste in my mouth due to the damaged rookies, but it's always great to beat the odds. Crown just killed me, and I followed it up with one more box earlier today - the big hit was a signature premier date Jarome Iginla. Just a tough product at that price, and it seems to be increasing.

I was also spoiled by the previous month - check out my "Help me show you stuff" post on the main page.

I'm taking a break for a bit!