`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Curious- any good stories behind the people you collect?

RE: Curious- any good stories behind the people you collect?
The players I have collected the most of were guys who played the game the right way. I have a respect for getting runners over, great base running, always having a dirty uniform, running out ground balls, hitting the cutoff guy...Although not my favorite player anymore, Scott Rolen was the 1st player I collected in BIG numbers. Probably had 700+ Rolen cards at one point. I then turned to collecting Chase Utley which I have almost 600 cards of him and will be going back to collecting more of his cards. Have been looking to collect a player like this from a team outside Philly and am leaning toward collecting Dustin Ackley. That guy seems to fit the mold and I took a liking to him. The guy reminds me alot of Chase Utley.

I collect Duke Snider because I always saw him as one of the most underappreciated power hitters in all of baseball, even though he made it to the HOF. He was just about as classy as they come, and quitely put up more run-producing numbers than anyone in the 1950s, including those "other" CFs in NY at the time.

Then, through the course of collecting and researching Snider, I came to collect 50s Dodgers. Campy, Pee Wee, Koufax, Jackie...they're my dream team now!
[Image: 3XHoG.png][Image: untitled.png]
Collecting:Andrew McCutchen, Duke Snider & Brooklyn Dodgers
I ship on weekends

(07-01-2011, 08:38 AM)rpspenner Wrote: I collect Duke Snider because I always saw him as one of the most underappreciated power hitters in all of baseball, even though he made it to the HOF. He was just about as classy as they come, and quitely put up more run-producing numbers than anyone in the 1950s, including those "other" CFs in NY at the time.

Then, through the course of collecting and researching Snider, I came to collect 50s Dodgers. Campy, Pee Wee, Koufax, Jackie...they're my dream team now!
Sweet, I wouldn't say I "Collect" Jackie Robinson because that would be too expensive, but he is certainly one of my favorite players to get when I have the chance. I picked up his 1956 Topps card last night!

(07-01-2011, 08:45 AM)joe callahan13 Wrote: Sweet, I wouldn't say I "Collect" Jackie Robinson because that would be too expensive, but he is certainly one of my favorite players to get when I have the chance. I picked up his 1956 Topps card last night!
Yeah, his vintage stuff is quite pricey...and for good reason! His stuff in modern sets doesn't seem to book for a whole lot, so I try to take advantage of that when I can.

I love that 56 set...Congrats! My favorite will always be the 54 Topps, but 56 is a close second. I have a 56 Koufax on display in my living room. Trying to find the 56 Duke and Pee Wee at a reasonable price to go along with it!
[Image: 3XHoG.png][Image: untitled.png]
Collecting:Andrew McCutchen, Duke Snider & Brooklyn Dodgers
I ship on weekends