`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Still have your very first card?

RE: Still have your very first card?
i think my first was the 1987 topps oakland As team set we got at either k-mart or toys-r-us

I don't have those anymore but the first card I bought on my own with my own money would be my 1971 topps Hank Aaron card along with a big lot of vintage i scored in a storage auction when i was probably 11?

i still have the aaron..it is still my favorite card even if its beat to absolute hell and back (came that way..I was and always have been a stickler for keeping cards in the best condition I can)
Jonny Venters - Super Collector
Overall Collection (113/157 72% Complete)
base/parallels (85/85 100%)
1/1's (28/72 39%)

always looking for venters 1/1's and 2008/2010 low numbered refractors

my dad gave these to me when i was younger. ill get scans later
1976 topps cards #330 nolan ryan and #240 pete rose

my first auto

[Image: DSCN0804.jpg]

[Image: p18mannbanner.gif]

I still have the first card I bought for $12 - '89 UD Griffey Jr. It was in '89, the Summer before I went into the 5th grade. It was a big decision to spend that much on one card. I remember my Dad telling my Mom to let me.
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

My first card was a 1960 topps Carl Yaz rc. I found it in a Walmart parking lot. I didnt collect cards so I gave it to a freind of mine. He in turn sold it for 75.00 in 1989. Well after he sold it and told me what he got for it I went to wally world and bought a couple of packs and I have been collecting ever since. So I guess this year makes 22 years of collecting non stop. Although I almost quit back in 1997 when I got married and my wife told me to love doing it so dont give it up because of me. Now you know the rest of the story ( Paul Harvey)
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

(06-29-2011, 12:48 PM)waynetalger Wrote: My first card was a 1960 topps Carl Yaz rc. I found it in a Walmart parking lot. I didnt collect cards so I gave it to a freind of mine. He in turn sold it for 75.00 in 1989. Well after he sold it and told me what he got for it I went to wally world and bought a couple of packs and I have been collecting ever since. So I guess this year makes 22 years of collecting non stop. Although I almost quit back in 1997 when I got married and my wife told me to love doing it so dont give it up because of me. Now you know the rest of the story ( Paul Harvey)
i miss hearing those 5 pm drive home stories from paul harvey... they take me back

[Image: p18mannbanner.gif]

My wife just had our first born in 1992 and stayed in the hospital. After I got home, a friend called and didn't want me alone so we decided to go and out and get some beer to bring back home. Right next to the liquor store is a little sports card shop. He collected cards and he went in, I followed and right in the counter is a box of 1991 Upper Deck. After asking my friend some questions, he suggested I try it out and like a dummy, I listened and bought 10 packs of 1991 Upper Deck for about $10 or so. We got home and I started opening my packs and all together, I pulled about 5 Cal Ripken cards. I thought that was a sign from above that I should collect himand the rest is history. To date, I own about TWO HUNDRED of this card.
[Image: 1991UpperDeck347.jpg]

what got me started was a coffee can full of random cards that my aunt gave me. She got them at a garage sale on her way over one day. I don't remember what was in there, but that started it all. About a year later, I went to a garage sale with my mom, and saw a 1989 Donruss Matt Williams. I fell in love with that card, and had to have it. maybe it was the colors? That card is what got me hooked forever.

My earliest cards I remember were some 85 topps. I'd sort them by team and literally throw them in a box in my closet until I wanted to take them out again. Don't remember any of them except a braves team leaders card. they were all bent and horribly handled but I loved reading the backs and could tell you everything on each one, got rid of those a loooong time ago. Then christmas in '90 my mom for some reason i'll never know bought me a 89 upper deck griffey RC. first penny sleeve and top loader i've ever seen as well.. had no clue who he was at the time. but it peaked my interest to learn and living in seattle I got to watch him play... well.. the rest is history i guess.
no org, please do not send trade requests

I know I dont have my first card but I remember how I got into cards. I started collecting Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh, I also bought packs. When I was about 6 I was in the trading card aisle, I saw Ken Griffey Jr. on a fleer pack and I was like "I know him!". The rest is history.
Collecting: Crede, Luck, Tannehill, Osweiler, Cobb

Revolving signature

Some great responses guys! I can really tell that alot of yall have some serisous emotions going into the stories. Happiness, sadness, anger. I like the topics too. A dad that stops drinking, a card that looks like dracula, finding a card in the parking lot, cards out of coffee cans and treasures in closets, babies being born and paul harvey. Can't say I know who that is,lol, but 5 pm drive home stories about collecting doesn't sound that bad at all. All awesome stuff. Reading each one of these is really cool and was something that I thought would be a neat article to read in a Beckett Baseball if there hasn't already been something like this.