`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This was 100% shill bid. I got robbed of a nice auction

RE: This was 100% shill bid. I got robbed of a nice auction
I was just venting I would say its probably really 50/50 on foul play here. I just thought he didnt want to sell the set for 110 since most of the other complete sets sold went for at least 25 dollars more than than that. I thought it was strange that a first time bidder has the presence of mind to bid with 1 second left for their first bid ever...and on baseball cards! usually if you been buying a 1970 baseball set you collect and have bid on stuff before...

I contacted the seller with a questions. If anything strange comes of it I'll report

LET'S GO METS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Finder's Fee for these cards if I obtain them(NO EBAY or COMC).

2010 Neftali Feliz Ginter Relic,

(06-29-2011, 12:18 AM)shezdoni Wrote: Please explain to me, where it says " Well Respected Member" in a persons profile

Maybe I give respect easier than you do. I respect most until I have reason not to and this members feedback and my dealings with him make him respected in my eyes. You tell me what reason you have to NOT respect him. I think that would be a better idea. Everyone on these boards deserves our respect until they do something to lose it.
[Image: broockerd_zpsd0d55e86.png]
Kila Ka'aihue 133/138 Non 1/1s (96% complete) 13/64 1/1s (19% complete)
Auto Needs: http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1529244.html

(06-28-2011, 07:52 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: *bangs head*

this isnt how shill bidding works

a seller doesnt use a shill to outbid you with 2 seconds left. that doesnt mean extra money for the seller, it just means he has to go through a cancel transaction fee to get his fees back. it serves no purpose. shill biddinbg is used to increase a profit, not to outbid you.

also, a new account cant make bids within a month of opening an account without having a credit card on file. obviously, unless the seller is using someone else's credit card to start an account, ebay has it set so that two accounts with the same address or credit card on file cannot tr5ansact on each other's account
Are you feeling a little concussed right now because you sure do bang your head alot. In my thread and in others.lol.

Unfortunatley that's part of the eBay "game" that alot of people play (I myself have too) where you sneak in and that last minute 1-click bid. Someone must of informed this guy or he already knew how of how to do that on ebay. Most new users really don't sneak in and the last second and the get the high bid right before the auction ends. Atleast in my experience I haven't seen it. The people that sneak in last second in auctions I have bid on always have 100's of feedback.

Seriously the easiest way to avoid being upset by a sniped bid is to actually bid the highest you are willing to pay for the item. Then if someone snipes you it doesn't suck as bad cause you're not paying out of you comfort zone. Hopefully you can find another set and win it for a fair price soon.
[Image: bannerthj011.jpg]
Thanks to talkntribe for my banner!

http://s1141.photobucket.com/home/Trey_Jones001/index

(06-29-2011, 07:46 AM)jtulliakat0628 Wrote: Are you feeling a little concussed right now because you sure do bang your head alot. In my thread and in others.lol.

Unfortunatley that's part of the eBay "game" that alot of people play (I myself have too) where you sneak in and that last minute 1-click bid. Someone must of informed this guy or he already knew how of how to do that on ebay. Most new users really don't sneak in and the last second and the get the high bid right before the auction ends. Atleast in my experience I haven't seen it. The people that sneak in last second in auctions I have bid on always have 100's of feedback.
funny you should ask, but i did suffer a mid-grade concussion on Sunday playing hoops (elbow to my skull)

more often than not anytime someone sees someone outbid them with low/no feedback they seem to cry out shill bidding. sometimes people just simply get outbid. we all had zero feedback at one time and more than likely outbid someone on something.
Jonny Venters - Super Collector
Overall Collection (113/157 72% Complete)
base/parallels (85/85 100%)
1/1's (28/72 39%)

always looking for venters 1/1's and 2008/2010 low numbered refractors

(06-29-2011, 05:29 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: but by bidding at the last second, you create less of a bidding war, and get what you want at a cheaper price. i just picked up a 30 card jeter lot worth 400 dollars for 14 dollars because i bid in the last 5 seconds (manually, i dont use snipe programs, which i consider lazy)
And I just won a printing plate from 2011 Bowman for under 6 dollars delivered by bidding with over four hours left and having no bids come in after mine. As you can see, there's more than one way to win things. We both know that more people do it your way, which also means your theory of no bidding wars is incorrect. It's still a bidding war if more than one person puts his bid in with less than ten seconds to go in an auction.

As far as the shill bid goes, you'll probably never find out for sure what really happened there.

But as far as sniping goes, per its definition its technically not possible on ebay. Sniping is the act of placing a bid in an auction with so little time left that nobody has a chance to see they've been outbid and get another chance at it. Since ebay bids automatically on your behalf up to your max bid sniping is essentially eliminated. I also agree that bidding on an item with a significant amount of time left does nothing but drive the price up for the person who ends up winning. Shill bid? Who knows. Sniper that hit his target? Technically no.

(06-28-2011, 07:05 PM)chrisa19978 Wrote: If not maybe that was his way of saying I can't let it go for that cheep as well.
This is exactly what the OP is complaining about and thinks happened. While I agree it is impossible to actually tell if this is what happened, the fact that you act like it is OK to win your own auction with an alt account just because the auction is going lower than you expected concerns me. That is a MAJOR bad move. It is wrong on so many levels. If a seller has a minimum price they need the auction to end at, they should put a reserve, not win the auction with a fake account because they aren't happy with the results.

(06-29-2011, 01:04 PM)_ZENAS_ Wrote: This is exactly what the OP is complaining about and thinks happened. While I agree it is impossible to actually tell if this is what happened, the fact that you act like it is OK to win your own auction with an alt account just because the auction is going lower than you expected concerns me. That is a MAJOR bad move. It is wrong on so many levels. If a seller has a minimum price they need the auction to end at, they should put a reserve, not win the auction with a fake account because they aren't happy with the results.
I agree with your comment of setting a reserve or a minimum bid so as not to get less than what you want for your item. With that said, there is zero evidence that this was done by the seller.

Like others have said, we all started on Ebay with zero feedback at some point or another. We also all outbid another member at the last minute with our zero feedback. That did not make us a shill for the seller of the item we won.
[Image: stl.jpg]
I build sets, collect Lou Brock & Jeremy Maclin. Both of my sons went to Kirkwood HS with Jeremy. I will also look at Kurt Warner, Big Ben and Old Big Red Auto's.