`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Often wondered about this...Updated..

Often wondered about this...Updated..
Hey all Smile I have often wondered why insert cards of players during their rookie year are not considered true RCs. I mean they are 1st year cards. All input would be appreciated. For example: I have wanted a Peyton Manning RC. I have followed them and they go anywhere from $10 and way way up on the Bay. However, I picked up this insert for a low tag of .55 + shipping

[Image: PeytonManning-98UpperDeckSuperPowersS16.jpg]

Just picked this true RC up....

[Image: EmmittSmith-90Topps27T.jpg]

Picked this up cheap for an Emmitt Smith RC. Why would a RC of his Book so cheap? I don't understand. Any help....

Love the Manning card just as much as ALL his other true RCs. Can someone please explain the difference? Thanks for any help Big Grin .....

RE: Often wondered about this...need some input please..
If it makes you feel any better, I consider them RC's. Smile Nice one btw! I've been picking some up of his RC year cards here and there recently.

If that happened there would be thousands of rc's nowadays so trust me and be happy they aren't all considered rc's or rc's would be worth absolutely nothing. I use to consider them all rc's too but I've heard all the arguments on here and I agree that a guy should only have 1 true rc from each set.
[Image: SigXacvol2.png]
New York Giants Fan & Collector.
http://s9.photobucket.com/home/deuce6000/

gangstippie - I would also consider inserts RCs Big Grin I think it is just cuz I love cards.

deuce - That is a good answer and I never looked at it that way, but I still wonder is it strictly a political thing and RC is just a title added to cards to make one worth more than the other.

I just consider them "rookie year" cards. I treat them the same. It is political. Otherwise Upper Deck's 2010 and 2011 cards wouldn't be considered RC's according to the "definition". I don't want this to go that route though. To each they're own.

Yeah I don't have a good answer to that question as I have no idea lol.
[Image: SigXacvol2.png]
New York Giants Fan & Collector.
http://s9.photobucket.com/home/deuce6000/

(06-27-2011, 02:33 PM)gangstippie Wrote: To each they're own.
That's how I feel Big Grin I still need that definition though so I can become more educated as a collector!!!

Rookie card or rookie year card, same thing to me, but I understand what Duece is saying as well. One card in the set is the rookie card, but I call them all rookies since it's easier to me.
[Image: wavysig.jpg]

Cris Carter Collector 1660/2351
John Randle Collector 349/568
Pro Set Collector

http://s696.photobucket.com/albums/vv327...e%20Cards/

The new Beckett Sports Card Monthly has an article I believe called "Collecting 101". While it doesn't answer every question for a person getting into collecting, it does have some interesting definitions.

For example: their definition of a true rookie card is essentially any NFL sanctioned card from the rookie year that is part of the original set.

In other words, college sanctioned products like Upper Deck or nonsanctioned like Press Pass and Sage, are not true rookie cards.

Also if for a product like Elite in which the rookies are numbered in with the base cards...these are rookie cards. Those cards in insert sets with seperate numbering are just that....inserts.

Don't know if you'll be able to change the minds of the collecting public.

Maybe the people paying all the money for the Exquisite Bradford's and Tebow's only to find by definition they aren't true rookie cards....maybe they'll find a voice to change things,

(06-27-2011, 02:38 PM)wavytiger1975 Wrote: Rookie card or rookie year card, same thing to me, but I understand what Duece is saying as well. One card in the set is the rookie card, but I call them all rookies since it's easier to me.
wavytiger I definitely feel what your sayin. But look at all the great cards that take the back seat just because they aren't the choosen one. Shame it is I say. However, it does mean great cards at cheaper rates for me (sorry that's the bargain hunter in me coming out, LOL Smile )
(06-27-2011, 02:42 PM)melcmd Wrote: The new Beckett Sports Card Monthly has an article I believe called "Collecting 101". While it doesn't answer every question for a person getting into collecting, it does has some interesting definitions.

For example: their definition of a true rookie card is essentially any NFL sanctioned card from the rookie year that is part of the original set.

In other words, college sanctioned products like Upper Deck or nonsanctioned like Press Pass and Sage, are not true rookie cards.

Also if for a product like Elite in which the rookies are numbered in with the base cards...these are rookie cards. Those cards in insert sets with seperate numbering are just that inserts.

Don't if you'll be able to change the minds of the collecting public.

Maybe the people paying all the money for the Exquisite Bradford's and Tebow's only to find by definition they aren't true rookie cards....maybe they'll find a voice to change things,
Thanks Mel Smile That definitely gives me what I was looking for. I want to find that article though.