`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
when a 10 isn't really a 10...

when a 10 isn't really a 10...
I recently saw a gem mint 10 griffey 89' upper deck sell on ebay for $41. THe grading company was Gem. Sure, they are a no-name company, but isn't there a little bit of legitimacy in that grade? What are the chances that gem mint 10 would convert to a Beckett 9 or 9.5? Even a 9 should sell for more than $40, right? Why wouldn't someone pick that card up and convert Beckett for a quick profit? Or, doesn't it work that way?

I don't mean to sound like a rookie, so please be nice! I know that if it was that simple, that card wouldn't have sold for $40. That's why I ask.

RE: when a 10 isn't really a 10...
most (edit: well not most...but a lot of times) of those off brand name companies are basically... either scam friendly places that don't have strict standards for grading, or simply shady places that exist only to make "gem mint" grades of cards that shouldn't be labeled as such.

not to say ALL companies other than the few big ones are like that... but generally you have no way to judge the integrity of the grading houses when you go to offname ones... a lot of them even allow you to slab and make your own labels for cards through them (thus literally killing any shred of integrity their name COULD merit for a card)

I usually consider cards graded by other companies outside of BGS/PSA/SGC to be less desirable than their raw counterparts. I would treat looking at such cards as if they were raw and had no number grade attached whatsoever...I would definitely NOT pay a premium for the score on them no matter what it is
Jonny Venters - Super Collector
Overall Collection (113/157 72% Complete)
base/parallels (85/85 100%)
1/1's (28/72 39%)

always looking for venters 1/1's and 2008/2010 low numbered refractors

(06-24-2011, 11:42 PM)cylegreenwell Wrote: I recently saw a gem mint 10 griffey 89' upper deck sell on ebay for $41. THe grading company was Gem. Sure, they are a no-name company, but isn't there a little bit of legitimacy in that grade? What are the chances that gem mint 10 would convert to a Beckett 9 or 9.5? Even a 9 should sell for more than $40, right? Why wouldn't someone pick that card up and convert Beckett for a quick profit? Or, doesn't it work that way?

I don't mean to sound like a rookie, so please be nice! I know that if it was that simple, that card wouldn't have sold for $40. That's why I ask.
I would stay FAR away from any card that that company has graded. Ive heared nothing but bad things about GEM Elite. Ebay should ban the sells of that companies cards. There is no point in sending those cards to beckett since Ive heared they trim cards to make them gems. I even had one of the same exact card you mentioned(89 ud the kid RC) and I cracked it opened and it was smaller than standared. IMO STAY AWAY.
I collect "THE 27 CLUB" - Matt Kemp & Mike Trout RC's
[Image: RyinvZK.png]
[Image: beckett2_zps5fe6c285.jpg]
~! KEEP THE HOBBY ALIVE !~
Props to jbel4331

Its hard to find a card not graded 10 by GEM lol....
[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket

(06-25-2011, 01:33 AM)cptnemo66 Wrote: Its hard to find a card not graded 10 by GEM lol....
I was just thinking this very thing. I do not believe I have ever saw a card graded by "Gem" that was not labled a 10.

(06-25-2011, 09:48 AM)dkotart Wrote: I was just thinking this very thing. I do not believe I have ever saw a card graded by "Gem" that was not labled a 10.
Yeah it was labled 10 Pristine....
I collect "THE 27 CLUB" - Matt Kemp & Mike Trout RC's
[Image: RyinvZK.png]
[Image: beckett2_zps5fe6c285.jpg]
~! KEEP THE HOBBY ALIVE !~
Props to jbel4331

After you get married...

...Rick
My PC & Trade... http://s558.photobucket.com/albums/ss22/...rts_Teams/

My trade items are at the bottom of my bucket listed as "Trade - (Type of Card)"

I'm always looking for HOF game-used in all sports...