`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it better to break open a set box or leave it sealed

Is it better to break open a set box or leave it sealed
hi guys im a noob at this and have a few upper deck and topps box sets( the ones with like 800 cards) still in the plastic from 1990 - 1993 which is the best way to maximize my investment

RE: Is it better to break open a set box or leave it sealed
with those sets there is no premium for the set being sealed. most of the value is in a few individual cards. the only way to maximize your investment is to open the sets, get the better cards graded (i.e. jeter RC from 1993) and hope to get gem mints. Otherwise, the sets will generally carry the same value opened or sealed.

"maximize investment" has two approaches there. An opened factory set might be tougher to sell, but graded copies of key cards in clean condition can be found in those same sets, too.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

(06-20-2011, 03:05 PM)chrisolds Wrote: "maximize investment" has two approaches there. An opened factory set might be tougher to sell, but graded copies of key cards in clean condition can be found in those same sets, too.
ok so is it worth sending the RC of jeter of to be graded because one would think they would be in mint or at least nr-mint coming out of the pack these look as if they were stored with care

I have the same years sealed up myself. However I will not open those up until i am ready to do so which may be in another 30 or so years for maturity. But thats just me.. Besides imma need soemthing to do when i *hopefully* retire haha.
Looking to complete the 2013 Archives Mets fan favorite Au's (Just need Ron Darling) and 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen set mini base + SPs. Also working on 2015 Topps Chrome and updates. Please note that if you have less than 15 trades, I ask that you send first.

(06-20-2011, 03:29 PM)muz0 Wrote: I have the same years sealed up myself. However I will not open those up until i am ready to do so which may be in another 30 or so years for maturity. But thats just me.. Besides imma need soemthing to do when i *hopefully* retire haha.
that was my thoughts as well but im not sure if they will go up that much like i said im kinda new at this have not messed with this stuff since i was a kid then came across these and well for $10 a box i could not pass them up

Leave them sealed. Good condition, yes. Centered? Who knows. You get a 7 on that key RC and would would have been better selling it sealed in the set.
[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket