`
 (Toll Free)
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
BGS grading questions, any help appreciated.
06-20-2011, 08:41 AM
BGS grading questions, any help appreciated.
Hello all,
I just have a few questions for you guys. Does anybody have, or use computer software to prescreen their cards before they ship the to BGS/PSA etc for grading? I am in the process of prescreening a TON of cards before submitting to beckett and was wondering if anyone had any tips they would be willing to share.

I have a Omnigrid from Wal-Mart, but it is not the greatest. The lines are spaced out about 5/16 or so, and I cannot seem to find an omnigrid, or something to use that has lines every 1/16 or smaller over the entire grid. I thought about buying a high-res scanner, and counting the pixels on the borders, to check for centering, but wanted to get some of you guys input. I can get pretty close by eye, and then checking with this grid, but I would like to get it right on the money.

I am using a lighted magnifier, a 5X, and 10X loupe to check corners/edges, dim-bright light combo's to see surface dings, black light to see smudges etc. I am basically eliminating pretty much any cards that have any printing dots, stains, printing lines, chips, etc., unless they are very minimal, and the rest of the card is near flawless.

Finally, how does beckett determine a centering grade on a card such as a 1991 Pro Set Brett Favre, etc? The card has no border, so what differentiates a 9 from a 10?

Sorry for the long winded post, and thanks in advance for any advice.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply