`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Hall of Fame Discussion..Everyone is welcome!

RE: Hall of Fame Discussion..Everyone is welcome!
Here are several names not mentioned.

Harold Baines (Look at the career stats. Borderline, at best)

Curt Schilling (No Red Sox bias here. He did have a dominant career and was one of the better pitchers of his era.)

Lee Smith and Jeff Reardon (They helped start the era of dominant closers)

Frank Thomas (I didn't see his name, but maybe I missed it on the list already)

Palmeiro and Sosa will not make it in. The taint of "juice" is on them. Rafael sealed his fate when wagging his finger at the members of Congress and then tested positive. Too bad, I really like him as a player and have over 100 of his 87 Donruss rookies. That whole investment went up in smoke the day he was suspended.

YES!!!
Barry Larkin
Ken Griffey Jr.
Greg Maddux
Randy Johnson
Tom Glavine
Craig Biggio

Maybe:
Mike Piazza
Frank Thomas
Mike Mussina- 270-153, 3.68. Borderline.
Jeff Kent- 2461 hits, 377 HR..Not a chance!

Several more.

Barry Bonds (I can't stand him and believe all the worst I hear about him)

Alex Rodriguez (Does his admission hurt him in the long run)

Mark McGwire and Manny Ramirez (thoughts??)

Biggio (Yes, in my opinion. That 3000 hits is a big deal and #13 all time in runs scored)

Ivan Rodriguez (Longevity and one of the best catchers year in and year out)

Gary Sheffield (500 HR and I never heard his name mentioned with steroids.)

Carlos Delgado (Very slim chance. Needed 2 more good seasons and he was in.)

Vladimir Guerrero (Still playing, but good career numbers. Several more solid seasons seals his fate)

Tim Raines and Kenny Lofton

Roger Clemens and Pedro Martinez

Trevor Hoffman, John Franco, and Billy Wagner

Would love to hear opinions on some of these guys. Not saying they deserve it, but just bringing up names.

(06-17-2011, 07:53 AM)bosoxfan1971 Wrote: Several more.

Barry Bonds (I can't stand him and believe all the worst I hear about him)

Alex Rodriguez (Does his admission hurt him in the long run)

Mark McGwire and Manny Ramirez (thoughts??)

Biggio (Yes, in my opinion. That 3000 hits is a big deal and #13 all time in runs scored)

Ivan Rodriguez (Longevity and one of the best catchers year in and year out)

Gary Sheffield (500 HR and I never heard his name mentioned with steroids.)

Carlos Delgado (Very slim chance. Needed 2 more good seasons and he was in.)

Vladimir Guerrero (Still playing, but good career numbers. Several more solid seasons seals his fate)

Tim Raines and Kenny Lofton

Roger Clemens and Pedro Martinez

Trevor Hoffman, John Franco, and Billy Wagner

Would love to hear opinions on some of these guys. Not saying they deserve it, but just bringing up names.
Bonds- He almost has to get it...Unless he absolutely gets embarassed in his trial, it's hard to keep out the home run king and one of the most feared hitters of our life time..

Arod- He will get in..He's too good of a player not to..By the time he retires and is eligible, most of the voters will be new blood and not the same ones as of now.

McGwire and Manny- They should get in...However, it might take a while for them to get in..McGwire's admission to using may actually help him rather than hurt him..Manny just keeps digging himself into holes and it is sad..He definitely is HoF material

Biggio- Depending on the class, he should be a first ballot. One of the most versatile players and also one of the "good guys".

Ivan- first ballot..The best catcher of his decade and his longevity says something. He used to be able to kill the ball and was a monster playing defense

Sheffield- The 500 hr class will help him a lot, but not sure if he gets in. I hope he does and I think he will, but it wont be a first ballot nor probably a second.

Delgado- Unfortunately not...He had some monster years a while back, but not enough to make it to the Hall

Vlad- Not sure on this one..He is very similar to Delgado and if he continues to play at a high level, he could sneak in the Hall.

Raines and Lofton- Raines was before my time but looking at stats and from what a lot of people say, he deserves to get in. As for Lofton, I think he is a Bernie Williams type of player. He is borderline imo.

Clemens and Martinez- Clemens will get in..Unfortunately, it won't be first ballot due to the voters we have now but he should be a first ballot. Martinez will make it. He dominated the late 90's to early 00's and has some records.

Hoffman, Franco, Wagner- I believe Hoffman and Franco will get in, but not Wagner..
-Collecting rookie, game-used, and autographed cards of Hall of Famers and future Hall of Famers in baseball, basketball, and football.
-Collecting autographs/cut autos and memorabilia of historic figures.

(06-17-2011, 07:41 AM)WillBaseball Wrote: Jeff Kent- 2461 hits, 377 HR..Not a chance!
Just to compare apples to apples here. We must consider that Kent was a second baseman. Since one of his contemporaries was recently enshrined (Roberto Alomar) why don't we consider the numbers.

Both Alomar and Kent played 17 seasons. While Alomar had 2724 hits and Kent only had 2461, both are respectable numbers and Kent did it in 600 fewer at bats and 900 fewer plate appearances. Alomar also wins slightly in average batting .300 for his career while Kent only hit .290 (I say "only" but .290 is certainly not going to keep him out of the hall). Alomar had 504 doubles, Kent had 560. Alomar only had 1134 RBI while Kent had a much better 1518. Alomar had far more stolen bases, but his 474 was certainly not why he got in.

Now the difference in the two begins to show their different styles. Alomar was more traditional as a second baseman in that defense was a priority. As such, he won 10 gold gloves. This was instrumental in his election to the hall. However, Kent was key in changing the role of the second baseman into a power hitter. Kent had 377 HR to Alomar's 210 (along with an OPS of .855 to Alomar's .815). This revolutionary hitter for a second baseman resulted in his being MVP in 2000 (Alomar was never league MVP). 377 HR for a second baseman in pretty legendary. In fact, his 351 HR as a national league second baseman are the most all time (with the AL record being only 246). Not only is he the all time leader in HR for a second baseman, he is the only second baseman to have 100 RBI in 6 consecutive seasons and the only second baseman to drive in 90 or more runs in 9 consecutive years.

I don't say this to disparage Alomar (he deserves his spot in the hall), nor to say Kent must get in. Rather I think you are a bit off if you claim Kent has no chance. He certainly does and the experts agree. Based upon the Hall of Fame Monitor (an attempt to statistically determine a player's comparative HoF potential used by many sources), Kent rates at 122 where it takes a 100 to be considered a likely HoFer. According to baseball-reference.com, the players most closely compared to Kent based on their analysis are: Jim Rice, Chipper Jones, Ryne Sandberg, Carlton Fisk, Billy Williams, and Ernie Banks to name a few. He may or may not get in, but he certainly has a chance. It would be hard to keep the all time home run king for second basemen out of the hall.

I just gotta throw my guy Ron Santo into the mix here as someone who should be in but isnt. His career statistics compared to other HOF 3B should be enough to warrant entry. And Sheffield was involved in the Balco scandal if I remember right, so that will definately hurt his chances. And I am probably in the minority here, but I think that the top 'dirty' guys should get in. Even though they took PEDs they still did some amazing things on the field that other 'dirty' players couldnt do.
Rose and Shoeless Joe should definately be in.
Thomas and Griffey are easily first ballot HOFers
Always Lookin for Cubs, Bears, Bulls and MMA.

Barring major injury, catastrophic accident or a "Celtic Pride" type kidnapping, Jose Reyes will be in the Hall of Fame one day. His hit, run, 2B, 3B, SB totals should all be top 10 or better all time if he plays another 10 solid years. People might think I am crazy but the guy really is as good as advertised. He changes the game in so many ways. If he gets traded or signs somewhere with a world series contender where what he does gets the grand stage attention it deserves, it would be hard to keep him out. A lot of people don't realize that he has already had two all-round seasons that have only been duplicated by one other player in about 80 years....one of those seasons he matched Juan Samuel with the best overall numbers across like 8 categories, the only other player to do it since the earlier 1900's...I don't remember the stats from the other year he had that was similar or who the other player was but the fact of the matter is, nobody impacts a game like he does. Like I said, a lot of people will bash me for making this claim, but he really is that good as long as he continues to maintain his consistency and doesn't get bored.
Player collecting Dominic Smith
[Image: a2b9799d-d00b-4864-9937-c5ed26367c17.jpg]

Here's the list guys regarding all the names that have come up so far in this thread. One of my favorites is not going in without a ticket.

FUTURE HALL OF FAME

Jeff Bagwell
Craig Biggio
Barry Bonds
Tom Glavine
Ken Griffey Jr.
Vladimir Guerrero
Derek Jeter
Randy Johnson
Chipper Jones
Barry Larkin
Greg Maddux
Pedro Martinez
Mike Piazza
Albert Pujols
Mariano Rivera
Alex Rodriguez
Ivan Rodriguez
Ichiro Suzuki
Frank Thomas

MAYBE FUTURE HALL OF FAME

Roger Clemens
Roy Halladay
Todd Helton
Trevor Hoffman
Ryan Howard
Joe Jackson
Evan Longoria
Roger Maris
Don Mattingly
Fred McGriff
Pete Rose
Jim Thome
Omar Vizquel

NOT FUTURE HALL OF FAME

Carlos Delgado
John Franco
Nomar Garciaparra
Steve Garvey
Jeff Kent
Kenny Lofton
Mark McGwire
Jack Morris
Thurman Munson
Dale Murphy
Mike Mussina
Rafael Palmeiro
Tim Raines
Manny Ramirez
Edgar Renteria
Jose Reyes
CC Sabathia
Ron Santo
Gary Sheffield
Alfonso Soriano
Sammy Sosa
Alan Trammell
Billy Wagner
Larry Walker
Lou Whitaker
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Dang all that typing about how Jeff Kent is on par with other Hall of Famers and he still get on your "NOT FUTURE HALL OF FAMERS" list of people discussed in this thread.

Wink

-What players do you think should be in even though they aren't?

Im surprised Charlie Hustle's name hasn't been thrown in there yet. His 4256 non-steroid all-time hits record will probably never be broken. He might not be HOF worthy off the field, but on it he was one of the best all time. I realize character is part of the HOF requirement but there have been exceptions..
Ty Cobb was hated by his teammates and the public for his attitude and for openly criticizing minorities. As a player, he beat a black groundskeeper because of the condition of the field he was playing on and ended up choking the man's wife as she tried to separate the two. He also was accused of committing baseball's number one sin by purposely throwing a game and yet is a member of the Hall of Fame.

People in baseball have done far worse than gambling.. even if he doesnt get into the hall, MLB should lift the ban against him and at least recognize the man.

Just my 2 cents..
[Image: banner-2-1.jpg]