`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Investment Wax Packs And Wax Boxes

RE: Investment Wax Packs And Wax Boxes
(06-16-2011, 12:10 PM)thelostfan Wrote: Are '89 UD boxes worth buying? I haven't bought one, but been tempted.
It's hard to say worth buying or not. for some reason, I got in my head that I was going to build a set from scratch from wax. The collation is absolutely terrible. I went through two whole boxes before I got any cards in the 600s.

You can sometimes find pretty good deals on the high number boxes, which have less chance at the Griffey, but still a chance. I pulled two Griffeys and three Randy Johnsons (including two Johnsons in the same pack) from one box, but neither from the other box.

I figure the price is similar to what a new box would cost me, but with the Upper Deck, you know which cards are players are worth anything, rather than hoping some young prospect will pan out.

I agree that '89 UD would be fun to open in 15-20 years. '92 Bowman and '90 Leaf Series 1 would also be fun to open.
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

i agree with fun openings on those 3... 90 leaf 92 bowman and 89 upper deck are classics... everything i remember about opening / others opening 89 UD was HORRIBLE collation issues also... sometimes you could pull 5+ griffeys/randy johnson/etc in a box other times you'd pull none in a couple boxes.

Jonny Venters - Super Collector
Overall Collection (113/157 72% Complete)
base/parallels (85/85 100%)
1/1's (28/72 39%)

always looking for venters 1/1's and 2008/2010 low numbered refractors

if he likes opening packs buy him a bunch of retail packs - some go for $2. Don't buy any wax from late 80's to mid 90's. If you really want those cards - find a yard sale or estate sale. they practically give them away. you said you are new to collecting - cards in the 80's and 90's were WAY over produced and are worth about a nickel each. better kept for fire starting....

if you want something that will retain its value then stick with 50's-60's topps. Purely my own opinion however.
Collecting: Bryce Harper, Cal Ripken Jr, Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris and Ted Williams.

2010 topps chrome hobby boxes.
While the cards are not the highest quality, the boxes are cheap and you get 2 autographs per box.
The auto lineup is pretty stacked.

I would suggest a ( Sealed ) Case of 1989 Fleer Grocery Cello Packs that had about 15 cards to a Pack. It 's Great to see a Rookie Card on the Front of a pack. A wide selection of R C Players. Still trying to find out which boxes had the White Out Ripken. I have a White out that I had Graded by P S A (8). Most of this case should have alot of error cards also on the Front
If you Really want to Hit a Jackpot, try and find a Box or Sealed case of 1991 Topps Superstar Stand ups

For older wax, it's always good to buy from a trustworthy source.

I prefer Baseball Card Exchange, www.bbcexchange.com -- his prices are quite competitive for older stuff, too.

I'd go with stuff from 1983 or earlier. Stuff from 1970 or earlier will always be in HIGH demand but the prices will be steep. These (pre-1970) are the kinds of items you really don't want to open.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

(06-16-2011, 08:35 AM)TheEvilEmpire Wrote: I collect the 1989 wax packs/boxes and the 1987 wax packs/boxes...The best value/most collectible would be the 1982 or 1983 packs/sets/wax boxes..As for wax packs, those years can run around 70-1?? some dollars that I've seen..

1988 is fairly cheap, and has rc's on one hall of famer (Roberto Alomar) and another future hall of famer (Tom Glavine)...1989 if fairly cheap as well (at times), and has rc's future hof'ers Griffey Jr, Johnson, and potential hall of famers in Smoltz and Biggio

So the best ones to put away would be the 1982 and 1983, however they are the most expensive..
I have some '89 and '87 baseball wax/bubble and rack packs I'm looking at selling.
"87 fleer wax baseball
'89 fleer wax baseball
'89 donruss bubble (92 cards)
topps/donruss/fleer rack packs with stars on front from '89
let me know what you would offer for each
thanks
PJ Heimermann

I have some '89 and '87 baseball wax/bubble and rack packs I'm looking at selling.
"87 fleer wax baseball
'89 fleer wax baseball
thanks
PJ Heimermann

(04-13-2016, 10:26 AM)heimermannp Wrote: I have some '89 and '87 baseball wax/bubble and rack packs I'm looking at selling.
"87 fleer wax baseball
'89 fleer wax baseball
thanks
PJ Heimermann

"87 fleer wax baseball
'89 fleer wax baseball
thanks
PJ Heimermann
That thread is 5 years old bro. The op hasn't checked in since a month after his original post.

(06-16-2011, 12:10 PM)thelostfan Wrote: Are '89 UD boxes worth buying? I haven't bought one, but been tempted.
I would only buy a low series box but they are more expensive. The collating in high series boxes is terrible! I purchased one at a local card shop just after Christmas and I got about 15 Jeffrey Leonard cards alone.

No Griffey, Smoltz, or Sheffield RC's. I think the best card I pulled was Cal Ripken Jr!
All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars