`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
I am so confused on bowman popularity

I am so confused on bowman popularity
So what makes Bowman cards so popular? I busted a couple rack packs and got some of the first year cards. Are these popular? If they aren't worth anything now, should I hold onto them just in case? I mean they seem so common that the price would never go up.. or do they? I'd love to know everything about Bowman and it's love/popularity. And how people "Prospect"
Hockey PC's: Tomas Tatar, Alexander Burmistrov, Boris Valabik, Zach Bogosian
Football PC's: Titus Young, Jimmy Smith, Ed Dickson, Michael Oher, Flacco/Rice and Manningham/Henne dual cards.
Always gone Thur-Sun
[Image: NUC-1.png]

RE: I am so confused on bowman popularity
There is nothing to love Im afraid. Its an empty set full of hopes and dreams. Dreams that one day your unknown minor league prospects will make it to the big time. Well I have boxes full of those failed dreams called common's.
[Image: OSWALT-1-3.jpg]

(06-10-2011, 01:34 PM)cougarbrent Wrote: There is nothing to love Im afraid. Its an empty set full of hopes and dreams. Dreams that one day your unknown minor league prospects will make it to the big time. Well I have boxes full of those failed dreams called common's.
That is what I thought too haha. But then again, it can only go up with 2011 right? Do cards actually go up of these good players? They are so common to get, yet I've seen people say X card is worth $5 or something. (I read some long thread about this, was curious).
Football PC's: Titus Young, Jimmy Smith, Ed Dickson, Michael Oher, Flacco/Rice and Manningham/Henne dual cards.
Always gone Thur-Sun

I see it as a set to build and hold onto and see what happens. The chrome at least, the rest....ehh whatever. A lot of inserts. I have more doubles and triples of the chrome as I do of the actual chrome set. Turned me off a little when I organized it. thankfully I have pulled 3 Chrome Harpers. 2 went to the bay

Maybe I should just hold too whatever numbered chrome's I get?

Like, just looking on eBay, Harper's regular BP 1 is going for like 4-6 shipped. And isn't there like two first year cards per pack of hobby? So when Harper gets called up, and has an amazing week let's say, it could be 10-15 per card? Yet there are thousands upon thousands? Do people just stock up?
Always gone Thur-Sun

(06-10-2011, 01:34 PM)cougarbrent Wrote: There is nothing to love Im afraid. Its an empty set full of hopes and dreams. Dreams that one day your unknown minor league prospects will make it to the big time. Well I have boxes full of those failed dreams called common's.
I fully agree.
I bought a bunch of Bowman in '04 and only a few of them ever went above $1 BV. And those few took 3+ years to change at all. I haven't bought Bowman since. There is way too much filler in them and not enough cards worth having.

we busted a few blasters and rack packs for fun, but overall we just buy the singles we like
Jonny Venters - Super Collector
Overall Collection (113/157 72% Complete)
base/parallels (85/85 100%)
1/1's (28/72 39%)

always looking for venters 1/1's and 2008/2010 low numbered refractors

I'm not confused with the popularity, but I am much like everyone else who has posted in that I don't personally get into it.

Bowman is a different product for a different kind of collector. The "prospector" isn't your typical collector. They bust a product and attempt to "flip" the cards for a quick profit to cash in on the hype and potential of prospects. The people buying the cards from the prospectors are also gamblers attempting to pick who will be the next babe ruth and hoping to cash in down the road on their rookie cards.

Your average collector will wait and purchase cards of the people they collect when the price is reasonable, hopefully before they get too high, but after the player is established.

I think we all bust a little bowman every once in a while just to gamble (like buying a scratch off lotto ticket once a year for a stocking stuffer), but generally, Bowman is a product for the prospectors, a unique subset of card collectors.

I have been doing the bowman sets including the chrome and draft since 2003. In my case I usually sent the doubles of rookies that I have to get signed. I never get in the hype of big prospects. I just do the set and don't stack up on rookies hoping that they will make it big.

I do wanna hold onto some cards for the thrill. I think I'll hold onto the numbered cards I pull and just trade away the rest for PC. I just don't see a thrill in holding onto cards that come in basically every box.
Always gone Thur-Sun