`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PSA Sucks and Question

RE: PSA Sucks and Question
(06-05-2011, 08:25 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: PSA's slabs are a joke; the card slides around in it and maybe at one time the card may have been a PSA 10. But it won't stay a PSA 10 in the long run.

I use BGS/BVG for all of my Grading. I even buy PSA 10's & SGC 98's and cross them over to BGS/BVG's. I've NEVER subbed to PSA; I've Only subbed to Beckett. As an added bonus, Beckett's HQ is located in the single greatest state!! GO COWBOYS!!

If PSA 10's get damaged in the holder (which I agree), then why are you buying them in the first place to cross over? I would think you'd just save money purchasing a BGS copy in BGS 8.5 or 9. Doesn't make sense to me to have to spend the extra money for a crossover, especially if you don't like/trust the company/slabs you're purchasing.

I've seen posts about Beckett grading more modern sheet cut cards, which may or may not be true but I can definitely say that any kind of trimming is very easily spotted by BVG. I've also read posts about higher value BVG graded cards that were crossed over and found by PSA to be trimmed. I'm a little suspicious of these types of reported incidents (mostly of PSA) but suspicions aside the best practice is to look a card over (still in its case) with a 10x loupe, before it's ever cracked from the case, so that there is no doubt about whether you're handing over an altered card or not. I recently looked over a 1969 PSA 8 Nolan Ryan and 1969 PSA 7 Reggie Jackson that I'm considering for crossover to BVG and they both passed close inspection. My 1967 Roberto Clemente SGC 8.5 failed, however, shows evidence of trimming on one edge (not to mention that it was also damaged on another edge from being jammed into the black holder that's supposed to protect it. But SGC is a different topic). Here's a portion of a previous post about why PSA is tainted, at least from my perspective:

I collect mostly vintage cards and had been relying on 4-5 vendors spread across the country a few years back. I purchased many cards from TriplePlayVintage in OH (also found on eBay). I began using Beckett Grading and discovered that about 10% of the 200 cards I submitted over a period of time had been either trimmed or recolored. All but one of those altered cards came from TriplePlayVintage. While TPV refunded the cost of my cards and most of my grading, their suggestion was "Try PSA". I then noticed that TPV had been posting a suspiciously high number of PSA 9's on their ebay store, which had sold mostly raw cards previously. I bought a 10x loupe and researched the practices and clues to finding altered cards. I went through my collection and found many more trimmed cards from TPV. The suggestion to try PSA was TPV's subtle way of saying that PSA might not spot altered cards. Since then I've talked to several other dealers who question PSA's quality standards. At the end of the day, I want an unaltered card that is of some real value. Any graded card that has been trimmed is not an asset or even worth 2 cents. To be fair to PSA, I don't know if their standards have improved but word on the collector street is that they process so many cards that many altered cards slip through, particularly for their larger customers. For me a Beckett card comes with the full confidence that it has not been altered.
Twitter: @Coimbre21 - Collecting Carl Yastrzemski Topps, Jimmie Foxx, 1966 Topps Venezuelan, 2010 Topps Tribute HOF Relics & Autos, L.A. Rams Autos

You think that's bad.

[Image: monte_irvin_psa1.jpg]
[Image: monte_irvin_psa1b.jpg]

No creases and nothing torn off and a Poor 1 grade.
[Image: fredwilliamson.jpg]

(10-07-2011, 11:37 PM)rare unreleased Wrote: You think that's bad.

[Image: monte_irvin_psa1.jpg]
[Image: monte_irvin_psa1b.jpg]

No creases and nothing torn off and a Poor 1 grade.
Could it be possible that the immediately visible staining on the back would have anythng to do with the grade this card received? Is that moisture damage, glue residue from being pasted in an album, or wax stains?

(10-08-2011, 12:37 AM)pacrimcollectibles Wrote: Could it be possible that the immediately visible staining on the back would have anythng to do with the grade this card received? Is that moisture damage, glue residue from being pasted in an album, or wax stains?
The back of that card says it all lol. I like the BGS slabs better than PSA's slab. I believe both companies have cards slip through the cracks as it's bound to happen with the volume both process. My one problem with BGS/BVG is the grading of sheet cut cards. Also the Strasburg superfractor debacle really made BGS look pretty bad IMO.

(10-08-2011, 12:37 AM)pacrimcollectibles Wrote: Could it be possible that the immediately visible staining on the back would have anythng to do with the grade this card received? Is that moisture damage, glue residue from being pasted in an album, or wax stains?
Still doesn't put the card at a 1. If the card was ripped in half, I'd understand.
[Image: fredwilliamson.jpg]

I agree, that's not a 1 at all. Someone overlooked the overall appeal of the card and got hung up with the rear of the card. It's more like a 3-3.5.
http://s1014.photobucket.com/albums/af262/dayton310/

DO NOT TRADE: MGRUBER2 DO NOT TRADE: MGRUBER2
R.O.A. (DO NOT TRADE) THE GREAT 48

(10-08-2011, 04:22 AM)rare unreleased Wrote: Still doesn't put the card at a 1. If the card was ripped in half, I'd understand.
actually, that looks like water damage to both sides of the card, and yes, that does warrant a 1.

Plus, it's off-centered. So it should be PSA 1 OC.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(10-08-2011, 06:51 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: Plus, it's off-centered. So it should be PSA 1 OC.
it's not off-centered enough to earn a qualifier

the problem with the water damage isnt just eye appeal, but that it attacks the structure of the card itself