`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Upper Deck Certified Diamond Dealer program

RE: Upper Deck Certified Diamond Dealer program
(06-07-2011, 02:53 AM)dbacks08 Wrote: It would seem that to answer your questions, you need only apply a little deductive reasoning. How do they plan to enforce violations of their Certified Diamond Dealer program from people who don't have a brick and mortar store? "...Applicant will maintain maintain at least one (1) permanent Retail Location, open a minimum of 35 hours per week...." Any person claiming to be a CDD and NOT having a permanent retail location would be subject to "termination of [the shop's] ability to purchase product from an Upper Deck Authorized Hobby Distributor or from Upper Deck directly," or more likely, some type of lawsuit for using Upper Deck trademarks without authorization.

Are they going to constantly monitor everyone online? Not everyone, but it wouldn't be hard to set up a keyword search for people claiming to be Certified Diamond Dealers and cross-referencing the people that come up with their lists of Authorized Internet Retailers.

Are they going to blame dealers when product quality issues arise? That depends on what a product quality issue is. If the boxes are damaged and banged up from the shop's mishandling, then yeah, they would pass blame onto the shop. If it's a collating issue like you suggest, or an issue with the cards themselves being miscut or some such thing, then it would be absurd to blame the shop, and Upper Deck might be subject to countersuits if they suggested otherwise.

Are they going to make quality products since dealers will be unable to discount products? Well, I didn't see anything in the agreement that says a dealer cannot discount products that they carry. The dealer purchased the boxes of product for a certain price. Upper Deck doesn't care what price the dealer sells the product for... they've already gotten paid. You're probably thinking that the phrase "which diminishes the value of" their products. If the dealer sells a box at below retail price for a discount, it doesn't devalue the cards in the box, just the amount of profit the card shop makes. That phrase implies that the dealer will not make public comments which might hurt the Upper Deck company itself and ultimately actually devalue the cards themselves.

Seems like a fairly straightforward agreement to me. I don't see the problem with it, but that's just my two cents.
+1

(06-07-2011, 02:53 AM)dbacks08 Wrote: Are they going to make quality products since dealers will be unable to discount products? Well, I didn't see anything in the agreement that says a dealer cannot discount products that they carry. The dealer purchased the boxes of product for a certain price. Upper Deck doesn't care what price the dealer sells the product for... they've already gotten paid. You're probably thinking that the phrase "which diminishes the value of" their products. If the dealer sells a box at below retail price for a discount, it doesn't devalue the cards in the box, just the amount of profit the card shop makes. That phrase implies that the dealer will not make public comments which might hurt the Upper Deck company itself and ultimately actually devalue the cards themselves.

Seems like a fairly straightforward agreement to me. I don't see the problem with it, but that's just my two cents.
I can't speak to what Upper Deck means by "diminishes the value of", but there are plenty of manufacturers that do not allow retailers to sell their product at a discount as part of their agreement. That is why you often see a list of exclusions on coupons for certain brands. It is not necessarily that the retailer wants to exclude those items; they may not be contractually allowed to sell them below a certain price. This can be done for a several reasons, but one of them certainly is to maintain a certain level of value or reputation of the product or manufacturer, so this could apply here.
Collecting Smoltz, Teixeira, Chipper, plus other Braves and Georgia Tech stars (Calvin Johnson, Garciaparra, Varitek, Wieters, Demaryius Thomas, Derrick Morgan, Stephen Hill, Michael Johnson, Jarrett Jack and others)

This is exactly true ^

I used to work at an electronics store years ago and several companies have such agreements with retailers prohibiting them from reducing the prices. The first one that comes to mind is Bose. The only sales you will see on Bose products is from the manufacturer. The retailer is never able to sell them below a certain price. Most video game consoles are the same way. This is a common thing to do with retailers.

(03-02-2011, 06:14 PM)rimcdonald Wrote: Upper Deck is still in business?
[Image: Picture1.jpg]

Like many of you I was buying wholesale, and selling singles and team sets online.
But when the new UD policy went into place it forced me to scrabble to figure out what to do.

Short answer is in about a month I will be opening a brick and mortar retail store. It was something I had looked to do in about a year or 2, but I really dont want to give up my business, so I take the step forward and hope to be successful.

Doesn't Topps make you have a brick and mortar store also?
[Image: braunsig.png]

At the moment, topps does not require a Brick and Mortar to buy wholesale thru a Distributor. Most Distributors though require you to have Resale Tax ID though.

(06-07-2011, 09:26 PM)chrislucy72 Wrote: At the moment, topps does not require a Brick and Mortar to buy wholesale thru a Distributor. Most Distributors though require you to have Resale Tax ID though.
How do you find a distributor?
[Image: braunsig.png]

(06-08-2011, 11:10 AM)ELevin99 Wrote: How do you find a distributor?
If you have a Resale Tax ID, try GTS distruibution, southern hobby, or all sports marketing.

(06-08-2011, 08:45 PM)chrislucy72 Wrote: If you have a Resale Tax ID, try GTS distruibution, southern hobby, or all sports marketing.
What is the price difference from Southern Hobby to prices you see on E Bay for topps products