`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
PSA or BGS for vintage grading?

RE: PSA or BGS for vintage grading?
I would say if you're looking to grade/preserve the cards and hold on to them, go SGC. Personally I think their slabs are the most professional looking and really make the card "pop", regardless if the cards are pre-war or not.

Resale value goes all over the place, but from my experience I've had identical cards with the same grades (SGC 96 and PSA 9), and I've had a hard time getting rid of the SGC for 60% of what I paid for the PSA. Granted this was for a common card; I assume the big names would close that gap. Like many said above, the PSA Registry breeds alot of competition and high prices.

Personally, I'm a PSA guy. Hate to admit it, but the Registry got me.... You'll have to be a club member to submit to PSA yourself, but you get a minimum 6 free gradings (depends on level), along with the price guide and population reports for 1 year. All in all not a terrible deal.

Either way you're not gonna go wrong. Congrats on inheriting such an awesome collection!
Always looking to complete sets.

Collecting Allen & Ginter, Topps Heritage, Bowman Chrome, Topps Chrome, Gypsy Queen, etc.

Do you want to sell the 1958 Ted Williams? I've been looking for this card to complete a unique set I'm putting together. Let me know.

I took a gamble and not to bad with bgs. bgs is a tough grader but if you looking for quality
[Image: IMG593.jpg]

You just know if the card is going to grade well. Bgs is a tough grader but i think they are sensitive to older cards imo. Psa also has a nice display and sgc. Really gotta look for the best price also.
[Image: NYBannerFinalcopy.jpg]

I've recently had a bad experience with SGC, so I may go BGS or PSA from now on.
[Image: banner.png] [Image: wieters-1.png]
Collecting Orioles, Ravens, and Topps Baseball sets 57, (Finally finished 58!), 67, and 69 (need only 2!). Also, MLB HOF Autos.

I have a few graded cards from each grading company and to me, BGS/BVG just looks better. I don't particularly care for SGC's label, maybe it's the green color. Of course, this is all personal preference. I've also heard a few stories about PSA being really inconsistent about grading, i.e. the Dmitri Young collection.
[Image: sig-1.jpg]

PSA. And I will buy/trade you for that '58 Mantle.
Collecting: Bryce Harper, Cal Ripken Jr, Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris and Ted Williams.