`
 (Toll Free)
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 3 Average
Problem with Sports Cards collecting is OVERHYPE
02-24-2011, 09:32 AM
RE: Problem with Sports Cards collecting is OVERHYPE
(11-23-2010 11:05 PM)jtollefsrud Wrote:  I agree. I think it's crazy what people are paying for these new "Hot" rookies. I don't ride the waves either. A buddy and I were discussing Strasburg, when he first came up to the bigs and his cards were selling for big bucks. We both thought it would be great to have a Strasburg card but didn't want to put out the money for one, and I remember saying, "I will pick one up when I can get one for under $10 bucks." He said to me," the Bowman Chrome Draft Pick won't go that low", and I said to him, "just wait". It is now going for about $8 bucks.
I love how people go gu-gu over prospects because it keeps HOFer and Star cards cheap. I find great stuff and star rookie cards in quarter bins at card shows every week. Speaking of Ken Griffey Jr., I just bought 25 of his rookie cards in a dollar bin at a show last week; 9 Donruss, 9 Fleer, 4 Score Traded, and 3 Topps Traded. Cant go wrong for $25 bucks. So I hope people continue to overlook this stuff to buy the Strasburgs, Posey's, Castro's, and so on..

You are absolutely correct. If I have a card of a hot rookie that I do not care about but I can trade him off for three or four cards that have sat around the same price for a few years and feature some nice Cubs players, I am all for it. In a few years, my proven cards are more likely to hold their value than those of some kid that has been playing a game his whole life and suddenly got handed millions of dollars before he is old enough to have a beer.

I look for career Chicago Bears, Blackhawks, Bulls, Cubs, Fire, Red Stars, and Sky players in their respective Halls of Fame. Add to that list some personal favorites on the current rosters, and everything else in my collection is up for trade.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Amen! Well said, if you don't think so ,go back and look at the cards you put into toploads 15 - 20 years ago. I don't do much with jerseys,autos etc. Much more fun to find a 63 Fleer FB or 53 Topps baseball I need to work on my collections. I just don't get the hype surrounding autos and relic cards. Much more fun to work on vintage sets.

Photobucket
02-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Strasburg was 5-3.

Anyway its more than just the player.. most of the cards that are selling for $1000 are 1/1 or #'d less than /25..

Lincecum Check List:: http://icrizzo.com
03-01-2011, 09:06 PM
I agree with the the OP but I sometimes get hooked up with the hype too. But it is just the beginning. We will see everything in the end.

[Image: 755bd9c1.jpg]
I will miss you bbills1999
Where are you XstreamInsanity/Jason?
03-20-2011, 03:24 PM
(08-07-2010 03:44 PM)TylerHoops22 Wrote:  I've been a huge sports cards collector for the last twenty years, but when I look up Ken Griffey Jr. cards and I'm seeing your basic Strasburg cards worth more just doesn't add up. Don't get my wrong I think Strasburg is going to be good and already is.

I mean if you've been a huge collector of AROD, JETER, GRIFFEY,RIPKEN, KOBE, etc...why would a record of 5-2 record from a rookie be worth more than any of these Hall of Famers cards.
They shouldn't be unless its an autograph or relic, something along those lines.
Seeing the collector drop $1000's on a simple 2010 ROOKIE card, come on...

I believe we're starting to loose sight of what card collecting is...
Shouldn't we look to go back to basing the cards price on what kind of numbers the guy puts up instead of simple overhype (or the fact it has an autograph or serial number). I'm all for the new wave of auto's, relics, patches, I believe all of these things bring a new fun part to collecting.

But overpricing BASIC rookie
cards more than Hall of Famers just doesn't make sense.
Just a thought

AMEN

Currently collecting A-Rod, Jeter, Cano, Mauer and Trout. I tend to be a fast shipper, work across the street from our post office.

[Image: troutjeter_zpsa5169a2d.jpg]

Thanks Ja1091 for the sig.
03-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Speculators should stay out of sports cards.

Ted Williams/Vintage Red Sox collector
06-21-2011, 11:07 PM
I just want to add. It doesn't help when I read over and over again about how 80's and 90's cards are worthless and they will always be worthless blah blah blah. Not to mention card shops wont even touch them and will get rid of them for penny's on the dollar. It just doesn't do any justice for those years of cards when they are hated on constantly. Personally I love my collection of 90's cards which are mostly Ripken Jr, Griffey Jr, Frank Thomas etc. For penny's on the dollar I would much rather just keep them. If they aren't worth physical money they are if nothing else still cool to look at and worth keeping for the sake of collecting. I didn't shovel snow all winter long at the age of 10 just to give them away when I am 25. Just my thought.
06-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Sure, it's a necro thread, but I'll play along. It's supply and demand. The late 80's, early 90's cards are worthless because they were overproduced. BIG supply without a demand to match.

People sometimes act like Beckett just decides what a card should be worth and goes with it. Cards are like stocks- it is supply and demand. The market sets the price. I have tons of stuff that I hang on to because they are worth more to me in sentimental value than the they are worth on the open market. Sure some of it is hype, but what's another word for hype? Hmmm..... DEMAND!

Supply is controllable, the card companies can just not make as many. On the other hand, you can't control demand. You can't control what people will pay for. So the price of a card..... is what it is.

[Image: foster_2_3.jpg]
(Thanks to phinzphan1372 for sig!)

Always looking for Arian Foster, Josh Hamilton, and Walter Payton
Click HERE to see my bucket!
06-23-2011, 02:20 AM
(06-22-2011 10:22 AM)joe callahan13 Wrote:  Sure, it's a necro thread, but I'll play along. It's supply and demand. The late 80's, early 90's cards are worthless because they were overproduced. BIG supply without a demand to match.

People sometimes act like Beckett just decides what a card should be worth and goes with it. Cards are like stocks- it is supply and demand. The market sets the price. I have tons of stuff that I hang on to because they are worth more to me in sentimental value than the they are worth on the open market. Sure some of it is hype, but what's another word for hype? Hmmm..... DEMAND!

Supply is controllable, the card companies can just not make as many. On the other hand, you can't control demand. You can't control what people will pay for. So the price of a card..... is what it is.

Im not real sure who you were directing that too, I agree with you but there is a few aspects I think were over-looked. Sure, everyone knows those cards were over-produced, so were beanie baby's, its a simple concept to grasp. BUT even though overproduced, you add on the fact nobody does anything besides talk about being worthless and you sink them right down to the bottom and eliminate the desire for anyone to even want to buy them for the sake of collecting. Just because something is over-produced doesnt mean it still cant have value, its worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I dont recall anybody blaming beckett for anything. Im sure production numbers plays a big part in the way cards are priced. My point is. When you combine high production numbers with bashing posted all over the internet you essentially bring them down to the lowest point possible. I'm not saying it was the cause, Im saying it doesnt help.
07-06-2011, 12:47 AM
I agree 100%. I do the same when I pull the $200 RC Auto from this year's class. I have kept a few over the years of teams and players I like but being a Cub and Bears fan doesn't always play in my favor! Smile

I like to sell/ trade those for more established players knowing that at the very least the value is likely to at lease hold. My other two cents is that while I may trade or sell a Hot Prospect today - I always have 10 years to decide whether or not I should try and add it back to my collection!

Chasing an Auto of everyone in the Pro Football Hall of Fame!

HOFer PC Scans:
http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1536904.html

HOFer PC Want List:
http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1532617.html

Preference is in this order: Auto w/Patch, Auto w/ Jersey, 1/1 Auto, just Auto'd.