`
 (Toll Free)
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 3 Average
Problem with Sports Cards collecting is OVERHYPE
08-07-2010, 03:44 PM
I've been a huge sports cards collector for the last twenty years, but when I look up Ken Griffey Jr. cards and I'm seeing your basic Strasburg cards worth more just doesn't add up. Don't get my wrong I think Strasburg is going to be good and already is.

I mean if you've been a huge collector of AROD, JETER, GRIFFEY,RIPKEN, KOBE, etc...why would a record of 5-2 record from a rookie be worth more than any of these Hall of Famers cards.
They shouldn't be unless its an autograph or relic, something along those lines.
Seeing the collector drop $1000's on a simple 2010 ROOKIE card, come on...

I believe we're starting to loose sight of what card collecting is...
Shouldn't we look to go back to basing the cards price on what kind of numbers the guy puts up instead of simple overhype (or the fact it has an autograph or serial number). I'm all for the new wave of auto's, relics, patches, I believe all of these things bring a new fun part to collecting.

But overpricing BASIC rookie
cards more than Hall of Famers just doesn't make sense.
Just a thought
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2010, 01:32 PM
This is nothing new. I remember back in 1986. Everybody want gaga over some stud in Oakland named Canseco. 86 Fleer RC's selling $70+! You could pick up a bunch of 70's RC's like Murray, Molitor, Henderson...ect for the price of that one card. Sure people have gone crazy over Stras. I could see them selling in the $100's but yes $1000's is just crazy. But again its nothing new.

[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket
08-08-2010, 11:44 PM
Agreed Smile
08-16-2010, 03:37 AM
TylerHoops22 Wrote:I've been a huge sports cards collector for the last twenty years, but when I look up Ken Griffey Jr. cards and I'm seeing your basic Strasburg cards worth more just doesn't add up. Don't get my wrong I think Strasburg is going to be good and already is.

I mean if you've been a huge collector of AROD, JETER, GRIFFEY,RIPKEN, KOBE, etc...why would a record of 5-2 record from a rookie be worth more than any of these Hall of Famers cards.
They shouldn't be unless its an autograph or relic, something along those lines.

Shouldn't we look to go back to basing the cards price on what kind of numbers the guy puts up instead of simple overhype (or the fact it has an autograph or serial number). I'm all for the new wave of auto's, relics, patches, I believe all of these things bring a new fun part to collecting.

Just a thought

While I appreciate the sentiment, the only thing that is setting the price of cards is the market.

Stasburg's only sell for so much because people are willing to pay that amount. Call it overhype, speculation or whatever you want, people will pay for who is new and hot.

If you are a fan of the long-standing stars then this is probably a good thing, means you can get some bargains!

I'd much rather pay my hard-earned dollars for a nice Olajuwon card rather than shell out a bundle more for a Kobe/LeBron/Wade/whoever else is flavour of the season — I like how the "overhyping" that way.

Just my $0.02.  emoticon

[Image: 15d2r7p.jpg]
11-23-2010, 09:43 PM
I agree with you 100% on this, which is why I don't "prospect". I only buy cards of established players and if I pull a prospect while he's hot, it hits the "bay" because the hype eventually fades, like Alex Gordon for example. 95% of the time it's a gamble and I leave gambling to the high rollers.

I collect all Current Cubs in any Uniform and all Past Cubs in Cubs Uniform only

MY BUCKET: http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r298/cubsfan76/
[Image: Samard_Sotocopy.jpg]
11-23-2010, 11:05 PM
I agree. I think it's crazy what people are paying for these new "Hot" rookies. I don't ride the waves either. A buddy and I were discussing Strasburg, when he first came up to the bigs and his cards were selling for big bucks. We both thought it would be great to have a Strasburg card but didn't want to put out the money for one, and I remember saying, "I will pick one up when I can get one for under $10 bucks." He said to me," the Bowman Chrome Draft Pick won't go that low", and I said to him, "just wait". It is now going for about $8 bucks.
I love how people go gu-gu over prospects because it keeps HOFer and Star cards cheap. I find great stuff and star rookie cards in quarter bins at card shows every week. Speaking of Ken Griffey Jr., I just bought 25 of his rookie cards in a dollar bin at a show last week; 9 Donruss, 9 Fleer, 4 Score Traded, and 3 Topps Traded. Cant go wrong for $25 bucks. So I hope people continue to overlook this stuff to buy the Strasburgs, Posey's, Castro's, and so on..
01-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Wayyy to risky jumping on unproven commodities. Yeah, you may miss out on someone, but most do not pan out. Even those that do, you have to flip them the first shot you can if you are looking to make $$$ off them, just look no further than Strasburg this season for a case in point there.
01-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Not sure why it is a problem to have overhype. I just traded some Blake Griffin auto RC cards away for an Octograph of the Showtime Lakers and few others got me cards I have been chasing like crazy for years now. If I had held out and sold them I could have doubled or even tripled my money. I made out fine considering what I had in them since I bought them last year. I kept my favorite one from Crown Royale and the rest I could care less about in hindsight.

To me overhype is welcome, it has added cards I wouldn't be able to get my hands on previously.

MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....
NO MORE 1993-94 Finest Refractors / THE SET IS COMPLETED!!!
02-04-2011, 01:21 PM
All you have to do is look at the draft pick or rookie cards of 5 or 10 years ago. Very few people would ever recognize the names.<BR><BR>Ray<BR><BR><B>UPDATE</B><BR>The 2011 cards are coming - the 2010 collections will now be obsolete <BR>

02-04-2011, 02:48 PM
TylerHoops22 Wrote:I've been a huge sports cards collector for the last twenty years, but when I look up Ken Griffey Jr. cards and I'm seeing your basic Strasburg cards worth more just doesn't add up. Don't get my wrong I think Strasburg is going to be good and already is.

Just a thought

100% Agree

Trading ANYTHING in my Photobucket for these cards:

M. Jordan 1986-87 Fleer #57 BGS 8
M. Jordan (BGS)
C. Barkley (BGS)
L. Gehrig (BGS, SGC, PSA)
BASKETBALL GRADED CARDS (BGS)

---> PHOTOBUCKET <---