`
 (Toll Free)
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What happened to this forum?
10-04-2012, 10:59 PM
RE: What happened to this forum?
Thank you Michael and Will for your replies! I agree and disagree with several points made by both of you.

As Will said: 'Being broke sucks... I cant trade like I used to. Cant buy stuff when trading slows down. And to be honest, I have a hard time seeing what everyone else is getting and all the new products that I cant get. I just have to back away cause the jealousy is overwhelming. It might sound silly but thats how I feel.'

I fully agree with that statement.

That is part of the reason I rarely visit NUTS anymore. I know I have nothing to offer those members for the great stuff they post b/c I can't afford or don't like the products coming out from PP.
If I want lesser cards (base/parallel/inserts) from those members, I have to ask for a list of what they have AND create a list of cards I have of the drivers they collect. It is just much simpler here b/c potential traders can see everything I have without asking me what I have or telling me who they collect.

Michael: What I mean by 'true collector' is a person who collects b/c they love the sport and love to collect their drivers and help others with their driver collections by trading cards.
Someone who buys lots of boxes purely to sell anything they possibly can to the highest bidder is NOT a collector. I am not really talking about card shops/dealers. It is their job to do exactly that if they are opening any products.

I do agree that the sport itself is part of the problem, but not for the reasons you stated. The worst problem in NASCAR is the continual rule changes. The only thing they have changed in the past few years that I agree with completely is making every driver clarify which title they are
accumulating points for. It was really annoying to see Cup drivers taking the Nationwide Championship nearly every year.
The only time you see MLB players competing for a minor league title is when they are rehabbing from an injury.
Also, the NFL makes rule changes nearly every year, but they are to improve players' health or safety or to remove a rule that caused way more problems than what it was meant to address.

Finally (b/c it seems I'm rambling now), there are more than 43 drivers that compete in a Cup race over the season. Some of them are random attempts and some are younger drivers trying to get Cup experience. I have no problems with Truck Series/Nationwide drivers trying to get into Cup races and I have no problems with them having cards made for those attempts. My problem with the card aspect is when those 'Start and Park' drivers (in ANY Series) are part of the AU or RU cards that are supposed to be 'hits' in a box. A 'hit' should not be an AU/RU card that is only worth $6-8. That is not what I want to see from a box I paid $100+ for.
As for blaster boxes, I'd rather pull a decent parallel than some crappy single-color RU card that is guaranteed. Great example: 2012 Ignite blasters. I saw 2 or 3 people pull an AU card or multi-colored RU from those, BUT most people pulled a 'proof' parallel card that was worth more than the guaranteed RU. Many collectors had an easier time trading the proofs than the RU's.
I can go on but I will stop now. This has gotten way too long. Sorry.

Always looking for: Ozzie Smith/Stan Musial/Lou Brock/STL Cardinals, NFL-CAR/GB/NE and NASCAR-Jimmie Johnson/Mark Martin
[Image: JJSolarSwatches.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What happened to this forum? - spazmatastic - 10-04-2012 10:59 PM
RE: What happened to this forum? - dunnere - 10-17-2012, 08:48 AM
RE: What happened to this forum? - dunnere - 10-18-2012, 11:07 AM