`
 (Toll Free)
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What happened to this forum?
10-02-2012, 09:17 PM
RE: What happened to this forum?
I am not sure where to start so I might ramble a tad.

The forum has been a desert for years. I have tried to find ways to make it more attractive again but without the print magazine its a hard sell.

They have THE SCM which is a great magazine and yes I just bought the latest but there just is not enough racing in it to warrant the average racing only collector to purchase it. Without buying a beckett a lot of them just do not think of the boards anymore plus a lot of stuff that happened in the past.

The collectors are out there and a lot going on. The hobby isnt where it was a couple of years ago but its not what press pass did that started the decline. A few of the BIG DOG collectors got out for personal reasons not related to the hobby. These were the guys that paid dearly for what they collected. Without them competing with each other the prices actually dropped for the rest of us. However when the prices dropped it wasnt as profitible to other medium dog dealers so they either bailed or just limited what they bought.

What you tend to have left now is the collectors not the dealers per se.

I have never understood the term THE TRUE COLLECTOR. What does that mean. I know some think if you collect anything other than base sets you are not a true collector. Others if you dont collect one of everything your not a true collector. The truth is if your spending money for the cards and you like them you are the true collector.

Press Pass is indeed giving the collectors what they asked for. They have held focus groups, visited forums, talked to collectors on the phone, through email and this is what has been requested. Look at fanfare yes you get 8 hits per box. Yes some of those hits are from drivers that may never see one lap at daytona. A lot of us would still rather have that race used or autograph card than to have another base or parrallel of jeff gordon jimmie johnson. They took out the legends form other products [other than legends] because collectors wanted it. They are back this year in products because Press Pass realized if we do not put them in some other products Some collectors will only have one release a year to collect.

Dropping previous years releases never comes easy and is only done after there is a decline in the sales of some significant amount. However this is what has Helped the hobby over the years. There have been many brands that have simply faded away and replaced by something new. Maybe not better to everyone but at least its something new. Also they slip in hints of the past every so often.

VIP was never my favorite release. I have preffered this years releases over a lot of the ones of recent memory except for maybe stealth.

Next year will possibly bring some even newere products. Also a old time favorite might show up in the next 24 months.

When they decided to do away with vip eclipse etc there were some complaints about that happening. However nothing major.

When they hinted that Legends would be combined with other sports it lit a firestorm of backlash. People complaining about that on forums, by calling, and writing old fasioned letters. What transpired was a realization by press pass that legends needed to be left alone. So out of this came another product called hall of fame.. Legends is intact and non racing collectors have a great looking product about to drop.

Press Pass listens to everyone not just the big time collectors. Acutally the real big time collectors most of us know from online auction sites. They probably have less input than you would believe. They can afford to buy it all so no need to complain. For a couple of years I heard a friend of mine complain there were no burton race used no burton high end etc etc. His persistence by their own admission helped to inspire them to continue pursuing jeff burton for these items. Another collector lobbied and lobbied for martin truex and it finally showed.

I personally BEGGED every chance I received for a dual autograph of David Pearson and Richard Petty. People kept saying they dont like each other which I knew was bull. Press Pass kept on and two years in a row they included a dual autograph for them.

Blasters, I remember the old days when people would buy blasters for the same cost they are today and people were happy if they received some parrallel cards or an insert. Now they are guaranteed at least a race used or autograph and people are not happy.

The sport it self is really the biggest problem for the hobby. CUP is the big leagues of racing in terms of colelctors fans etc. However there are only about 43 drivers to collect. Of them only about 12 that are marketable truly. In other sports they might have over half that number on one team and multiply that by 28.

Other sports also have their regions where they are popular and have a large amount of fans. NASCAR is now country wide and these 100,000 fans per race are all competing for the cards of 12 drivers. It can chase people out of the hobby before you get in.

The truck and nationwide series are wonderfull but are after thoughts for most collectors. Rather than using it like baseball does with prospects.

Stick and Ball players may rotate every five years or so where even a has been may hang around in cup for 20 more years. Their isnt enought turn around on drivers to keep the sport FRESH.

If one is looking for freshness in the hobby they need to look everywhere. Find other forums. I am not suggesting leavign this one. I have been coming here ever since 98 I believe. I have been a thorn in their side and now I try to moderate. I have been a fan and buyer of the magazine and miss it like mad. I always thought if they did less price guide and more hobby content it would have sold better.

I watch and respond to every box busters and have even tried to get them to do the racing as an online magazine only. That way they could get collectors here to buy the opg. IF you only concentrate on one forum your going to miss something. I read Chris olds tweets every day and see even he goes all over the place for his cards and information.

All the sites need each other because they each bring something different. As long as I am collecting I will still alwasy be here on beckett where I started.

CANCER SUCKS[Image: AVLRCRSDC.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What happened to this forum? - shelbysaleen - 10-02-2012 09:17 PM
RE: What happened to this forum? - dunnere - 10-17-2012, 08:48 AM
RE: What happened to this forum? - dunnere - 10-18-2012, 11:07 AM