`
 (Toll Free)
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
OT: New MLB Playoff format...thoughts?
10-02-2012, 10:01 AM
RE: OT: New MLB Playoff format...thoughts?
I wasn't crazy about the addition of two more teams getting into the playoffs. Now 10 teams out of 30 get in. One third of all the teams. I think that makes the regular season less relevant if that large a percentage of teams get into the playoffs. It kind of makes the playoffs more of a "round robin" to me. I thought why bother playing a regular season if most of the teams get to compete for playoffs anyway?

I've since changed my way of thinking somewhat and will watch this post-season play out. I do agree it makes winning the division more important. Having two teams battle for the wild card spot will be a little more excitement and tv revenue. When I first started collecting cards in 1970, there were four teams going into the playoffs. Now there's ten. You no longer have to be an elite team to get in. You can get in with a record just on the better side of mediocrity and have a good week or two and win it all.

I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

[Image: ZeprockSig3.jpg]

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OT: New MLB Playoff format...thoughts? - zeprock - 10-02-2012 10:01 AM