`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
HOF debate: wanna hear opinions....contest as well

RE: HOF debate: wanna hear opinions....contest as well
1. Is Craig Biggio a first ballot HOFer? Support your answer please.

When you look at a body of work I would have to answer yes, but even though HOF is an individual award, his teams never won a World Series. This will no doubt creep into the minds of some voters. Also playing in Houston is a drawback on a first ballot. The media exposure just didn't exist for him. Playing in New York or LA would have boosted chances. Now these are the cons, however as will be the point for many of your questions below...He is being voted on with many players during the steroid era. This will garner him votes that would have gone to players with larger numbers/success/records.

2. Is Jeff Bagwell a HOFer? I don't mean anytime soon necessarily. It can be 14th ballot for all I care. I just wanna know your opinions. Again support your answer.

Compared to players of similar ability my initial reaction I would say no. WAs Bagwell a better player than say Alan Trammell? Tram is still out many years later. I think his best bet would be a veteran's vote many years into the future.

3. The only player with 3000 hits who has been on a HOF ballot and not currently made it in is Rafael Palmiero. Is he a HOFer? Do the steroid allegations end his chances? Did he even intentioanlly use? He to this day claims he never intentionally took them. Support answer!

Whether he did or did not intentionally use is a moot point. The voters already have the idea in their heads that he did. IF and when the steroid guys start getting voted in he is probably behind McGwire, Clemens, Sosa etc... At that point who else is against him that will attract votes at that time? Raf's chances are very low to get in anytime soon.

4. Does Bert Blyleven deserve to be in the HOF? It took a long time and the numbers nearly said no then suddenly rebounded after many years to let him in. Support answer!!

Here is a player who definitely benefitted from being up against steroid era players. Votes swayed to him as voters were reluctant to cast votes to others. My initial reaction when you say Bert Blyleven HOF is that of Bagwell. Others that were better than him as a ball player are not in. Once again years from now I think due to the longevity of his career and the numbers that therefore were created should have gotten him a veterans election.

5. Lastly, but certainly not least. Does my boy Frank Thomas deserve to be a HOFer? If he makes it will he be a first ballot HOFer? Support answer!!

Yes. In an era full of suspicion has his name ever really came up in scandal? This works in his favour once again when other players will lose votes based upon steroids or heavy steroid suspicion.

Let the contest begin. I will close this when I feel ready. Remember to keep all answers in good taste even when referring to steroids etc.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

Messages In This Thread
RE: HOF debate: wanna hear opinions....contest as well - by rmpaq5 - 10-04-2012, 03:16 PM