`
 (Toll Free)
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Retail searcher aftermath & something from my childhood.
08-18-2012, 05:10 PM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2012 05:48 AM by acevanquish.)
Retail searcher aftermath & something from my childhood.
I stopped in Target after not being there for almost a year. I planned to pick a blaster of something since a few of the retail surprises I have seen lately said they were from Target. I wasn't getting anything spectacular from Wal-Mart. Anyway, this is what their card section looked like. A big mess of NOPE!
[Image: 20120817183559778.th.jpg]
I've heard people talk about the down side of retail and have noticed some packs laying behind the shelves or on the floor, but this was the first time I ever saw anything like this. Every single box had every pack pulled and placed back in. Even the chute type boxes that are supposeYud to dispense 1 at a time out of the bottom looked like they were all pulled out and loaded back into the top :| Even the $.99 Triple Play packs that are directed at kids appeared to be searched and put back. Are you really looking that hard for some eyeblack or tattoos?

The same day I was looking for another magazine and found an old favorite book of mine. I saw this in school. Schoolastic or Book-It, something like that. The second I read the description of what it was I asked my mom to order it. I was so excited when it came in the mail. Even at a young age (about 10) I thought it was odd how someone could just publish a bunch of famous peoples address. But I did not waste any time finding Nolan Ryan and sending off a letter.
[Image: 20120818180539446.th.jpg]
I told him about my new dog, getting good grades in school, some of the 'highlights' of my little league career, etc. I mailed a few cards with it too to see if he would sign them. I got my cards back with this letter and a, still to this day I believe, signed black and white photo. That was good enough for me. A letter I then pictured him typing himself on a typewriter, printing the photo, and signing it.
[Image: 20120818180615733.th.jpg]
The auto was originally in blue. It has since faded from years of sitting on the corner of a framed poster of him I still have in my room.
[Image: 20120818180600522.th.jpg]
I also sent some envelopes to Mickey Mantle and Whitey Ford without the enthralling details of a 10 year old fans life. Mickey sent back this which I believed far less was actually signed along with a list of auto prices if I wanted to order any. Whitey sent a similar list without any kind of gratis souvenir.
[Image: 20120818180957556.th.jpg]
Here is 1 more picture of the inside of the book. It was printed in '92 I think. I bet many have moved by now and countless heroes of the past have died, but it was entertaining to find something that reminded me of why I like this hobby so much after the scene at Target.
[Image: 20120818180831313.th.jpg]

[Image: badtime.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Retail searcher aftermath & something from my childhood. - acevanquish - 08-18-2012 05:10 PM